Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Finally Getting the Right Keys, Weeks 4-6 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited October 2016 in Chrysler
imageFinally Getting the Right Keys, Weeks 4-6 - 2017 Chrysler Pacifica Long-Term Road Test

This post covers weeks four through six of our saga to get the right keys for our 2017 Chrysler Pacifica. At the end of it all, we finally have working keys!

Read the full story here

Comments

• moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    You must have purchased a Chrysler Odyssey as the quest for keys has been an epic journey.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    So, Moe was there. Was Larry and Curly there too? Must've been for everything that's happened here. You need to be like: "If you can't get me 2 working keys in a week, then its easy. Give me a different Pacifica.".
  • schen72schen72 Member Posts: 433

So, Moe was there. Was Larry and Curly there too? Must've been for everything that's happened here. You need to be like: "If you can't get me 2 working keys in a week, then its easy. Give me a different Pacifica.".

This sounds like the solution I would have floated. Can't believe it took them this long to fix a simple issue.
  • misterfusionmisterfusion Member Posts: 471
    Photo: At the Edmunds key party, everyone goes home with Cameron!
  • reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    Nothing is more satisfying as 'customer no service'. I get it that this kind of thing is bound to happen somewhere, somehow with millions of cars being manufactured, but the fact that some dope at the dealership says, "I'll call you back" & then doesn't!! That's what boils my blood. How hard is it to call and say, "Hey I haven't received any word on whether or not your suggestion is possible. I'm still making inquires."
    Not a hard thing to do.
  • s197gts197gt Member Posts: 486
    well, as a person who has to "work the phones" a times at work... a reason (not an excuse) is that you never know how the person on the other end is going to take the news. if you knew that everyone was going to respond to bad news with "thanks, i appreciate the update", then yeah, follow up calls would be no big deal.

it's the ones that get angry and/or want to ramble on that makes doing follow up calls such a chore...
    reminder said:

Not a hard thing to do.

• reminderreminder Member Posts: 383
    When you drop 10's of thousands for a vehicle, you shouldn't have to hope someone keeps you informed.
    Salesmanship 101, maintain the illusion that the customer's business is important.
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    I hope you guys don't forget this episode when you write the wrap-up. It's stuff like this that turns people off to a brand, regardless of how good the product is.
    how very optimistic of you...
    gslippy said:

....when you write the wrap-up.

• longtimelurkerlongtimelurker Member Posts: 455
    Has Edmunds What's Hot gone dark, like the RNC?
  • dldavedldave Member Posts: 46

Has Edmunds What's Hot gone dark, like the RNC?

It certainly appears that way. Their posts have become more infrequent over the years to where we only get one update a day. Now even that seems to be optimistic. It's too bad because I always enjoyed them.
  • murphydogmurphydog Member Posts: 735
    what gives? No more long term updates?
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    I hope the long term updates resume -- I enjoy the long-term blog quite a bit and check back daily!
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    It's been a full week now, something's gotta be going on...
  • SRQFLSRQFL Member Posts: 1
    This blog has been on a downhill trend since they did away with Inside Line. They always refer to the "bean counters" ruining cars....well the bean counters here are obviously more interested in advertising revenue than reporting on vehicles.
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    @gslippy @s197gt @longtimelurker @dldave @murphydog @iamthestig @willin58 @SRQFL (and @desmolicious for good measure, and everyone else who has weighed in either here or on another post),

Thank you for sticking with us and really being the backbone of the Long-Term Road Test community through the years. The Long-Term program is undergoing some revisions, but it's certainly not going away. In fact, before long the content will actually be highlighted (when applicable) in the Edmunds year-specific model reviews -- our core editorial product -- so it's going to be an even more central part of what we do here in the future.

I can also tell you that we are moving away from the traditional "blog" approach in terms of daily posts, which is the transition you've picked up on lately. We've been doing some experiments with Instagram and will continue to explore that platform as a means of publishing Long-Term content every day, but when the dust settles, our primary content types will be (1) Monthly Updates on each vehicle, including fuel-economy reports and aggregated "logbook" comments based on our experiences, and (2) periodic long-form articles like what we've published in the past, e.g. if an editor takes a road trip or has an unusual experience and wants to discuss at length.

The upshot is that we're as committed as ever to the program and look forward to rolling out these new kinds of content soon. In the meantime, it's going to be quieter than usual around here, but we'll announce the changes when they're ready and hope to have your continued support.

Thanks,
    Josh

• vvkvvk Member Posts: 196
    Josh, how do we access these updates on instagram? Can you post a link, please?
    edited October 2016
    Oh, yeah - it's all under control, new flavor of the day coming and we'll be back BIGGER AND BETTER, etc., etc. - but in the meantime we'll just drop it on the floor for awhile with no explanation. We just decided to give it the stench of death for giggles, then let down the drawbridge long enough to send out one volunteer with a fairly cryptic "explanation."

So this is a considered course of action? Spare me.

Um...no, thanks - I'll show myself out.
  • SadButTrueSadButTrue Member Posts: 48
    @vvk -- https://www.instagram.com/edmunds_nissan_titanxd/ and https://www.instagram.com/edmunds_chrysler_pacifica/ ... still experimental, but there you go.

@longtimelurker -- I appreciate you. The content really will be strong when all's said and done, but we had to act quickly in the short run due to a number of site improvements that are underway. No slight intended to you guys and I apologize for the belated communication. I hope you'll stick around for what's next.

-JS
    Not you, man. You're the volunteer sent out over the drawbridge with limits on what you can say. Just you having to cover for the corporate mishandling...SMH. I will watch this space. Thanks for the reply. And for the links.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2016
    I'm not sure I understand why the LT blog would be quieter while the technological format undergoes yet another change? Staffers are still driving the cars on a daily basis; why can't they still post about them while (or until) the changes are made?

This doesn't pass the smell test.

Edit: After checking out the Instagram posts, I have to say I'm not a fan. They are blurbs, not the analysis or reasoned takes we've come to expect. Also, and this goes back to when Edmunds first got away from InsideLine, I don't want to have to find updates by vehicle, I'd rather find updates by date.
  • agentorangeagentorange Member Posts: 893
    I've had a feeling that Edmunds wants to ditch "What's Hot" and the long term blogs for some time. They recently disabled the ability to log in and comment in the blogs. You have to hit the Edmunds home page now and then log in again. Does the word "Clickbait" sound familiar? I suspect that the Edmunds business model is all about clickbait and folks viewing ads for car sales. Us coming direct to the long term blog or Inside Line (in the past) did not work for the management.

If their long term updates disappear to a model/year drill down, then I'm done here. Take away my easy access and I won't bother. Likewise with ANY of the social media platforms. They are all blocked where I work and I don't play on them outside either. If Edmunds go to social media then they have gone where I have no wish to follow, nor the time. The current format has been moderately fun and informative, I don't see any of the suggested changes as improvements, just obstacles. See ya!

PS We shall see how long this post survives. ;-)
  • markinnaples_markinnaples_ Member Posts: 251
    I'm with agentorange; no time for this nonsense. I'll head over to autoblog, autotraderoversteer and jalopnik instead. Good run Edmunds, but this just doesn't work for me. Cheers all.
  • ctpaulctpaul Member Posts: 46
    what this "improvement" is showing more clearly than ever is that Edmunds is an advertising site, plain and simple, not an information site. I too will take my eyes and my clicks elsewhere. Too bad, there are some talented writers and reviewers here; maybe they are (or should be?) polishing up their resumes unless they want to be ad copy writers here.
  • iamthestigiamthestig Member Posts: 85
    I'm trying to look at this from Edmunds point of view. Edmunds needs ads for revenue, and when automakers loan a long-term car to Edmunds they need to have an expectation of how much exposure they'll get in return. Switching to a stream of steady monthly updates along with long-form articles on occasion gives a much more predictable model for Edmunds to pitch to automakers. Adding in social media spots is the icing on the cake. It's a model I use on my own e-commerce projects -- build a nice "home" for your campaign (in this case, a group of monthly updates for each LT car), and then use e-marketing channels to direct traffic into that home (Instagram, Facebook, Google Adwords, Edmunds homepage spots, e-newsletters, etc). So from that perspective, I like this direction. Edmunds can basically go to automakers or advertisers and say "Yes, we're going to feature Car X from Date A to Date B, there will be 14 web updates with X expected pageviews, 52 social media posts with X expected impressions, 4 homepage featured slots, and 6 email slots." This helps the automaker/advertiser know what they're getting and it helps Edmunds know the time/resources they need for each LT test. While I assume there is a commitment to exposure, I'm sure there is no commitment on the editorial side -- if an LT test uncovers a flaw, then it uncovers the flaw...

From a fan's perspective, though, we're looking for more. We're not just casual readers researching our next car, so maybe we're not the target audience, but we are car enthusiasts and part of the community who use this information not just for our own entertainment but also in making recommendations to others on which cars to purchase. We're "influencers." The content and ads on this website are very relevant to us. We're expecting more frequency, similar to what we see on the previously mentioned Jalopnik, Autotrader Oversteer, and Autoblog. For comparison, Cars.com also has an LT blog but I can't imagine it gets much attention because they have only three cars and generate a total of maybe 3-4 posts per month. Don't become Cars.com -- give us more regular updates on the web. Show us how the trunk button works, show us the quirks about a volume knob, tell us how to DIY a repair, and don't let the haters deter you. This is the minutia that keeps enthusiasts engaged and drives clicks over the long run. Autotrader Oversteer is a great example of this.

That's just my two cents as an auto enthusiast and a professional web guy. Hit me up on Twitter @johnkendig if you want to talk further.
  • threeonthetreethreeonthetree Member Posts: 1
    Sad. The long term blog is just going the way of the usual car mag - a little blurb and summary of what the log book says every month?!?!?!

The whole reason why this blog was so good in the past was the spontaneity-the feeling the writer just got out of the car and made the post, which we were able to see.

I've been on this blog for many many years. More and more lately have been transitioning to other car blogs as this one felt like the energy was being sapped from it.

Maybe it is time to let go.
    thanks for the entertainment over the years; sorry if i have been too critical/sarcastic at times. i don't remember how i stumbled upon inside line years back but glad i did. i saw the writing on the wall when they did away with inside line. i get things change and evolve; just not a believer it has been for the better. having said that, i wish all the writers/editors/contributors here the best!
  • bsundownerc23bsundownerc23 Member Posts: 2
    I am sad to see this after being a loyal reader for many years. Things have really been on a downward trend since moving away from the InsideLine format. I now spend much more of my time over at bringatrailer because the comments and knowledge of the community is fascinating (loved the Yugo sale, BTW!).

As a professional investor with experience in digital media properties, I get it. Monetization is becoming very difficult and many are feeling the squeeze. Enthusiasts are also not really the audience of the traditional Edmunds visitor - a consumer actively in-market for a vehicle. Combined with increased competition in the category, it's a difficult proposition to actively support this blog. Sad to see it transition even further away from the original concept...
  • bloodyrbloodyr Member Posts: 11
    I first discovered Inside Line about 10 years ago when I was doing research on the redesigned Infiniti G35. I stumbled across Inside Line's LT G35 and read every single word of it. It gave me peace of mind that I was making a good choice with this car, and it also convinced me not to get the manual transmission. That car gave me nine years of trouble-free ownership, and I always felt a special bond with IL over it.

I will miss the old format, but I'm willing to give the new content a shot. My main concern is that we will lose out on some of the minutia that has made these blogs so informative/entertaining. I love reading extended rants on the poor design of a knob/button, and I feel that will be lost with monthly updates. I guess we'll find out!
  • lmbvettelmbvette Member Posts: 93
    @SadButTrue - Thank you for posting....something. I still don't believe anything that you wrote, but that is not on you but on the company as a whole.

As an IT person, this is NOT how you typically do things in a planned roll-out. This screams "un-planned incident" to me, as in re-structuring or layoffs.
    Don't worry about what other people think. Drive what makes you happy.
  • rkjla76rkjla76 Member Posts: 1
    How has it been 2 weeks with no long term update at all? Does anyone still work here?