Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Replacing the handbrake- 2007 Cobalt

falirayfaliray Member Posts: 27
edited February 2017 in Chevrolet
Everyone:

I'd like to replace the handbrake in my 2007 Cobalt, but the last time I tried to remove my old handbrake I discovered it requires a special tool to remove the bolt. What specific tool is required to remove this bolt and where is a good place to rent the tool from?

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    You mean the handbrake lever? Got a picture of the bolt to post?
  • Options
    Yes, I'd like to replace the handbrake lever with a new one. A disk inside my lever broke so the hand brake doesn't stay up when I try and set it. I figure replacing the lever is easier than replacing the disk inside the lever. I don't have a picture of the bolt. I may post one in the near future.
  • Options
    edited October 2016
    So is this special tool because of the type of bolt or the difficulty in accessing it?

You might check with one of your local Pick N Pull type of wrecking yard. Maybe they have a "good as new" one for you, and if so, ask them how to take it off.
  • Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,751
    There does not appear to be anything special about the fasteners used to mount the parking brake lever assembly in the car. It is secured with what I believe to be 8mm studs, so the nuts that hold it to the car are likely 13mm hex heads. If the OP is looking at a fastener that seems to require some special tool, then he isn't looking at a fastener that needs to be accessed. With a new parking brake lever in hand he should be able to see where its mounting fasteners are located by the holes in the base.
  • Options
    Perhaps he meant a torx head or something.
  • Options
    Maybe he is looking at the top of the studs which have inverted torx flutes on them for installation and removal and not realizing there are nuts below them actually holding the lever assembly in place.
  • Options
    I appreciate all your help. Sorry about not checking on my post as soon as I should have. I mean the bolt that holds the lever to the rest of the assembly. From the other posts here it seems that it has a hex bolt. How would I remove it, with a allen wrench? I only need to remove the lever. I'll then replace it with one from a "pick and pull" yard.
  • Options
    Ok. The reason I'm want to replace my handbrake lever is a part fell out of my handbrake and now it won't lock in place. Someone on another Cobalt forum had the exact same problem. I've uploaded the part that fell out of my handbrake. If anyone knows how to fix this problem let me know.
  • Options
    I meant a person on another Cobalt forum had the same problem. Here's the URL to that question on another forum: http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/problems-service/26927-hand-brake-problem-please-help.html
  • Options
    The normal repair is to replace the handle assembly. If you insist on trying to repair this, remove the handle from the car and experiment with different ways to try and secure the ratchet back into place. This could be done with a new rivot, or as long as you don't end up with interfeerence a properly sized bolt and nut.
  • Options
    Yep, looks like peening a new rivet into place might work, if you had a rivet, a hammer and a punch. Or brazing if you can get in there. I still think a wrecking yard is the best bet here.
  • Options
    OK. I now know I need to replace the handbrake assembly. I'll look for the part at a salvage yard I like to go to. I'll also see if Autozone sells the assembly. Thanks for your help, guys.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,167
    edited December 2016
    Looks like the handbrake assembly sells for $40-50 already pulled from vehicle in this area using car-parts.com search.

For new it looks like the handgrip is separate from the metal lever assembly. Your handle on your current one must be
    removable if you get one from a junkyard with a different handle due to trim differences in the vehicles.
    $113 new
    http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/images/parts/gm/fullsize/0409231A04-014.JPG

http://www.wholesalegmpartsonline.com/showAssembly.aspx?ukey_assembly=364821&ukey_make=1024&ukey_model=14497&modelYear=2007&ukey_category=19538&ukey_driveLine=11475&ukey_trimLevel=25716

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for posting that for faliray, imidaxol. Very helpful I'm sure, and cardoc for suggesting a repair.
  • Options
    Fixed!!!!!! I found a handbrake assembly at the local Pick and Pull last week. I put the assembly in today. The brake works great!!! Thanks everyone for your posts and help.

faliray