Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need Passat Upgrade Advice

k3rm1tth3fr0gk3rm1tth3fr0g Member Posts: 2
edited October 2016 in Volkswagen
Hello,
This is my first post on this site so be gentle. I have a 99' passat 2.8L V6 with 219,000 miles on it. I want to be able to go fast and look awesome doing it. It would also be awesome if my car sounded loud too. I was thinking that I could add a turbo and a straight pipe instead of a muffler. I just don't know the exact parts to buy. I got the car for free from my mom and I just spend $2500 getting the throttle body replaced as well as the vacuum hoses and I also had the spark plugs and spark plug wires replaced I also just bought new tires and some other miscellaneous items. I don't want to spend a few grand on some performance parts just to have the car die on me. I would appreciate your guys' input on this and if you guys could drop some links to some performance upgrade parts I could buy and install to boost the hp or the torque.

Thanks for all the help,
Kellen

Comments

• mittencuhmittencuh Member Posts: 50
    I'd recommend the forums at VWVortex, they are more suitable for this sort of topic. But personally I think modifying a car with that many miles is just asking for more problems. I would recommend saving my cash for maintaining the car to a high standard.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm with mittencuh on this one. Adding a turbo to a high mileage engine would just exploit whatever weaknesses the engine already has. Unless you get into a turbo, or engine internals, just bolting things on is a very expensive way to gain limited HP. But you can make it "sound" louder --no harm in that.

VWVortex folks might have some clever tricks you could apply, but don't expect huge gains in HP or performance with cold air intake or cat-back exhaust systems.