Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

How Can I Turn Off "Maintenance Minder Messages" After I Do the Work ?

alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
edited August 2016 in Honda
I have always done my own routine maintenance. The Owners Manual for my new 2016 Civic EX shows how to turn the oil life percentage back to 100%, but seems to say nothing about stopping the "system message indicator" and "maintenance minder message" for other maintenance services.

Comments

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The service reminders are usually done with an appropriate scan tool. https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/logon.asp
  • Options
    If I have to buy a scanner to stop my dashboard from blinking, I believe Honda has played a very dirty trick on me !!
  • Options
    edited August 2016
    A more careful reading of my Owners Manual revealed this:

"Models with Display Audio

Use the touch screen to make and enter selections

1. From the HOME screen, select Settings

2. Select Vehicle

3. Select Maintenance Info

4. Select Select Reset Items

5. Select an item on the list to reset "

So with the 2016 EX Civic you can individually remove reminders for each service suggested by the Maintenance Minder system. I got excited for nothing !
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks for figuring this out!
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    I've just noticed that the procedure I quoted above is on page 135 of the Owner's Guide (157 pages).

It's not even in the Owner's Manual (589 pages) !!

That is weird eh ?
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    We're borrowing a friend's Cruze for a week and her oil maintenance light is on. Told her I'd be happy to change the oil while she's on vacation but she thinks it wasn't reset right and that the oil should still be good for another 2,000 miles.

Same friend asked me to look at a light fixture the other day - was too dim and she assumed most of the bulbs had burned out. I showed her how to operate the dimmer on the remote control for the fixture. My guess is that the oil really does need changing. B)

Hopefully I can finc the reset info for the MIL without having to plow through War and Peace.
  • Options
    Key on, do not start engine. Within five seconds push the accelerator down all the way to the floor and release three times.
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Gee that's real intuitive. Do you have to jump on one foot, too? This sounds like something Monty Python would dream up.

• Options
    I think that's the way my van works. I have to look it up every time. Be nice if it was just an option on the menu on the LCD panel on the dash.

Be nice if the van had an LCD panel. :D
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Be nice if you had a van.
  • Options
    I think I've been hacked
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    Did we hijack your tread too much or are your MIL lights going on again?
  • Options
    You just proved my point
  • Options

Gee that's real intuitive. Do you have to jump on one foot, too? This sounds like something Monty Python would dream up.

You should see some of the sequences for commanding non scan tool functions. Some of them are like trying to learn a square dance......