Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Considering Buying New 2015 Leftover - It's Almost 2017! Need Advice

katiegrrlkatiegrrl Member Posts: 19
edited November 2016 in Mazda
Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a 2015 Mazda3 i Touring leftover. It's a new car, just 8 miles. They're asking 18,000-ish.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you might help me with.

1) Why would this car still be around? Should I be leery?

2) What should I offer them? I can get a newer model for about the same money, probably. And, though this car is brand new, it's a two-year-old car as soon as I drive away. If I try to sell it in a year (2018), I'm selling a three-year-old car, right? Also, I have to figure they just want it off the floor. What do you think I can reasonably get away with offering. I'm bringing my own financing.

3) How does being a 2015 effect the warranty?

4) Anything else I shoud consider/ask for?

Thanks for your help!

Best Answer

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,343
    katiegrrl said:

Hi,

I'm considering purchasing a 2015 Mazda3 i Touring leftover. It's a new car, just 8 miles. They're asking 18,000-ish.

I have a few questions I'm hoping you might help me with.

1) Why would this car still be around? Should I be leery?

2) What should I offer them? I can get a newer model for about the same money, probably. And, though this car is brand new, it's a two-year-old car as soon as I drive away. If I try to sell it in a year (2018), I'm selling a three-year-old car, right? Also, I have to figure they just want it off the floor. What do you think I can reasonably get away with offering. I'm bringing my own financing.

3) How does being a 2015 effect the warranty?

4) Anything else I shoud consider/ask for?

Thanks for your help!

What is the MSRP?

For your purposes, I'd treat it as a used car, as far as value. But, don't worry about what it's worth next year. You aren't buying with the plan of selling in 12 months, are you?
    Ask the dealer if the car has been "punched". They may have marked it as sold, at some point, to collect an incentive on it. That would start the warranty clock ticking. You don't want to buy a new Mazda, only to find out the you just have 2 years of warranty left.

I'd want the car for at least $3000 less than a comparable 2016 model. $5000 less than a 2017 model.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited November 2016
    Hi,
    Thanks for your response.

The msrp on the 2015 is, according to Edmunds, $22,320. Kelly's has it at $21,965.
    The 2016 msrp is listed at $22,685 and $22,630 respectively.
    2017's mrsp is nearly identical.

There are deals running on the 2016 and 2017's, lowering the price to under $20,000.

They're asking about $18,000 for the car, but it was about $17,500 last weekend.

Thanks for the tip on "punching" a car. I've been thinking they already must have somehow made money off this car and somehow written it off. Maybe that's it.

I went into this hoping to pick-up a late model, low milage car for around $12,000. I was enticed to spend a bit more on a Black Friday Special on 2016 Mazda3 i Sports. Turns out the deals were in the sedans and I don't like those. The 2015 is a hatchback, though.

So, What's the lowest I can offer and still be taken seriously. My very optimistic side says offer $14,500 and hope for a miracle. I'm comfortable at $15,000 out-the-door. I could push it to $16,000 OTD because this could be a great deal.

Any opinions as to my chances of success or ideas as to how to increase my chances?

As for the warranty...what if there's only two years left? Should I go for it anyway? Does Mazda extend warranties for dealer loaner cars?

Also, I think after If I'm going to spend more than $15,000 - $16,000, I might look around a bit. I could probably find a newer car - maybe a Mazda3 or a Corolla or an Elentra GT - for the same amount.

Thanks
  • Options
    2015's are listed mostly mid-teens. Right around what I'd like to offer.
    Now that I look at the prices of other makes and models, I think this one is a good deal in the ballpark I'm talking about. If there is only two years on the warranty, Is this still a good deal?
  • Options
    brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    Yes its still a good deal.... You could also buy a additional warranty if you plan on keep vehicle 8 to 10 years. I'd advise against it but if that gives you piece of mind go for it.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• Options
    Thanks. I passed on the car, now it's gone. It was a good start, though. It really helped me begin to decide what I wanted. And kyfdx, thanks for the tip on "punching" cars.