Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2016 Mazda CX-9 Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited February 2017 in Mazda
image2016 Mazda CX-9 Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

The Mazda CX-9 stood out when it debuted 10 years ago, but the all-new 2016 Mazda CX-9 competes in a more crowded crossover SUV marketplace.

Read the full story here

Comments

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    These are good looking vehicles. I'm not an SUV guy, but I do like the styling, both inside and out.
  • willin58willin58 Member Posts: 38
    I find it inexcusable that a heated steering wheel is not available, even on the Signature. Vented seats would also be nice.
  • mcloffsmcloffs Member Posts: 5
    Looking forward to reading updates on your test; we have a 2009 CX-9 that we'll be looking to replace in the next couple of years. Fun fact, since you mentioned auxiliary ports: when the CX-9 debuted it didn't have one. :-)
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Looks nice. I hate the whole "drop in screen" look. It should be a fun and practical car to drive.
  • kirkhilles1kirkhilles1 Member Posts: 863
    Why a 2016 model though? We are well into the 2017 models now.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200

Why a 2016 model though? We are well into the 2017 models now.

2017 CX-9 isn't out yet.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• billybudsbillybuds Member Posts: 1
    living in the cold northeast I could get by without ventilated seats. But no heated steering wheel on the top trim being nearly 45k would be a deal breaker for me. Mazda makes great cars but their illogical choices on what they deliver confounds me. As I said Mazda has too many deal breakers on each of their products to ever buy one.
  • wernerga3wernerga3 Member Posts: 7
    A few things- It says "full smartphone integration," but that is misleading since Mazda does not offer android auto or apple carplay. Also, the heated steering wheel will almost definitely be available in 2017 since it was available in canada for 2016 and everyone has been bitching to get it here- not to mention the 6 has it already in the us. Finally, while this car is truly great, I cannot believe that there is no cushion adjustment on the seat at this price point. I literally felt like I was falling out of the seat during the test drive- and that ultimately kept me from getting one.
  • wernerga3wernerga3 Member Posts: 7
    edited February 2017
    mcloffs said:

Looking forward to reading updates on your test; we have a 2009 CX-9 that we'll be looking to replace in the next couple of years. Fun fact, since you mentioned auxiliary ports: when the CX-9 debuted it didn't have one. :-)

While it did not have an aux jack, it did offer an ipod integration kit which many people did not know about- Check out this commercial called "spoiled" where you can clearly see her iPod plugged in at the end. That was one of the big deals about this car over its competition at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NpeJ-0VSSs
  • DLuDLu Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2017
    Heated steering wheels are nice to have. It's all perspective though. I looked at a Lexus GX and was shocked at the complete absence of space behind the 3rd row. It would seem that would be a real deal breaker for anyone who wants a 3-row SUV -- and that behemoth only seats 6. Plenty of people happily spend $60k on those things.