Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

GPS screen error: Application error DrFish - serious error (per the pop up)

whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46

Folks: I worked in the computer field and searched this error to no avail. It only happens with GPS on (it's on a 2013 Elantra Limited). I had not driven much or used the GPS prior to going on a recent long trip that tipped me over 1k miles.

An error pop-up msg appears that wraps on the right side around the left side. The screen locks. I can go to other modes but the screen is chopped off - it has part GPS and part whatever mode I'm in. I can power off and power on but it only goes away when the car is powered off (computer terms - complete reboot is done). I won't do that on long trips to heavier traffic states. It happened once in 300 miles to our destination and 2x coming home within two days.

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148

Have you taken it to the dealership? I presume your vehicle is still under warranty. They may need to re-install the software, at the very least.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• whatfuturewhatfuture Member Posts: 46

Thanks for responding. No. I've had so many issues with the dealership that I've got concerns going there - that took a day to get over. First I sent an email describing the error but the guy that got my email did not look at my message and called me about my interest in a new car. Then I left a voicemail for the service manager.

I understand reinstalling the software may help but only if it's got a fix for this issue or is newer. An installation with the same software lands you in the same place, Kirstie, unless you're more current on software reinstall knowledge than I am. It's possible :) because I haven't worked in the field for several years. Thanks much.

This is interesting. I didn't get anywhere with my local dealership and I don't trust them for too many valid reasons. So, I called a dealership over an hour away (they're the next closest dealer). He said Hyundai would never allow him to correct the error (he had never heard of it) without reproducing it because it was a $4k unit (the price sounded bogus to me). I said he won't be able to reproduce it. I can but it has to be on long trips. It does not happen driving around town. That meant, I had to live with it. But, I tend to be stubborn... especially when I'm dealing with people I think are ripping me off.

I have to come to zzzzz (not using the name because I don't want to get them in trouble - different state) on occasion. Driving here, the GPS locked up w/the same error after I drove 274 miles. I pulled off the road, powered the car off and on and saw I'd be in heavy traffic within 13 miles. I'm in the southwest. If I was near NY or NJ, pulling off the road would be dangerous and this is why a locking GPS is a serious issue for me. I told one mechanic, I'd bring my $100 4 year old Garmin GPS with me; it works. After my appt. was done, I walked to the Hyundai dealership and asked to talk to a mechanic who knew the cars. I was pleasantly astounded at his response. He allowed me to run back to my hotel and bring the car in. He had heard of the error and said it would probably be a simple sw update. Drove it back and within the hour, the mechanic said the unit needed to be replaced and he had permission to do it. I was in shock. The unit will be replaced when I come back here in a few weeks. Amazingly, he also said he'd show me how to turn up the volume on my GPS - something the inept dealer from whom I bought the car couldn't do. This is what I expect from a reputable dealer and company.

The bottom line is what I've read too many times in these forums. All cars of every make come with problems. The difference with Hyundai is despite their warranty, I had two dealers do what they could to avoid acknowledging a known problem (certainly there's a database that has it) and their ability to deny a fix for it. The local service manager had also told me I had to go to him for regular maint. work (he lied and that was acknowledged by a manager and I knew he was lying - he wanted the business). My concern is this was a non-mechanical fix - it didn't stop me from driving the car. What happens if/when something serious happens - use AAA (we're keeping it because of our lack of trust of our local dealer) and have them tow it 300 miles to a dealer that I trust?

If Hyundai/Kia wants to improve their reputation because it's still rightfully bad, they need to either make a car with quality or fix the cars when there's a problem. I will NEVER buy another Hyundai. My prior car lasted ten years and I sold it and got a good buyer despite the way it looked. It was mechanically sound. It was my third of that brand. The seats are uncomfortable, so I switched brands and brother, what a mistake that was.

Oops - the car has just over 2k miles on it. So, it's covered by a warranty.

• jlandon62jlandon62 Member Posts: 5
    For what it's worth, I've had that error message appear on my 2013 Genesis Coupe.
  • jlandon62jlandon62 Member Posts: 5
    I was able to grab some video of the message when it recurred last week. I've uploaded it to YouTube in case it's of any help to anyone else with the same problem. You can view the video HERE.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    heh, they can't even get the error message to show up without breaking it in half.

Thanks for the upload/link!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Any chance this is related to a bluetooth connection?
  • the_gamblesthe_gambles Member Posts: 1
    I too have been getting the defuse error on my nav unit in my 2013 Elantra.
    It is out of warranty and all the dealer could request was to replace my unit at my cost.
    Being out of warranty. I decided to pull it out and check it out, the problem got worse when the dash got warm.
    I found that the cooling fan mounted on the nav unit was not running.
    I pulled the fan and tested it, it worked fine.
    It appears that something on the circuit board that is supposed to supply power to the fan was not providing it.
    I hot wired the fan to run anytime the unit was turned on.
    That helped, but I am afraid the damage may already have been done to the country, as it goes longer between errors, but still has them.
    In researching the problem, it appears to be mainly on the 2013 models.
    I hope this helps to come up with a resolution to the problem.
  • movin_on_upmovin_on_up Member Posts: 8
    edited March 2017
    I am "WhatFuture" - Late update and a little more. I bought the LTD because of my 600 mi. RT to Nashville. I ultimately found a shop there en route to the hotel in which I stayed. THEY replaced it on a couple of trips. Concerned they wouldn't get permission to fix it but they did. This dealership/service was fabulous.

I've had other issues with the care that are just stupid and one crazy. My engine was knocking at a little less than 14k miles on it and it's about 3.5 years old now. The engine had to be replaced. The mechanics could tell the engine had been taken care of and I have records. But to me, this is nuts. I heard from a neighbor whose mom has a Sonata with no problems said the engines weren't good (per the mechanic). Under 14k mi. and this happens? Not good. The local dealership this time had great interaction with me through this. We'll see what happens with the repairs. I continue to hold my breath with this car.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372

Are you having trouble figuring out how to use all of the technology in your car? If you're overwhelmed with how to operate your navigation system, bluetooth, park assist or other advanced technology feature, a reporter would love to talk to you about your experience.

Please send an email to PR@Edmunds.com by Friday, March 17, 2017.