Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2017 Honda CR-V Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited May 2017 in Honda
image2017 Honda CR-V Long-Term Road Test - Introduction

The Honda CR-V is America's top-selling compact crossover. We've brought one to drive for a year and 20,000 miles to find out if it's a bold enough redesign to remain at the head of the pack.

Read the full story here

Comments

• natschampnatschamp Member Posts: 22
    Why buy and evaluate a FWD when the overwhelming majority coast to coast are AWD ? The review would've had so much more relevance with the AWD.
    The way I see it, you've got two resale markets- California and Florida. Lucky for you you're in one of them.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,061
    Surprisingly, in Ohio, half of the new CR-Vs for sale are FWD.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Southern Ohio can be fairly mild in winter much of the time. I'm not sure which version of that vehicle makes all that much difference because the mileage isn't all that different and I doubt most of the time the driving and handling differ much either. Just a matter of whether you want to spend the grand and a half difference. Personally, I probably would even in the sunbelt for those thunderstorm induced hydroplaning experiences. Also, since you often never know where you may be living when you trade it, you'll probably get most of the price differential back along with not that much of a difference in daily operating costs. CRV's have excellent trade in retained value anyway. But that is just my preference.
    AWD is my preference, as well. I was just pointing out that the percentage of AWD CR-Vs isn't likely to be as high as the previous poster expects.

Rogue, Tiguan, Tucson, etc, etc... Small to mid-sized crossovers sell many more FWD models than you would expect. I think it's a price sensitive category, no matter where you are located, and that is part of it.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    I think the styling has taken a step back from the previous generation. This one looks like it has a bad body kit on it.
  • prospectivesuvprospectivesuv Member Posts: 25
    throwback said:

I think the styling has taken a step back from the previous generation. This one looks like it has a bad body kit on it.

Either one looks like a bulkier late 1980s hatchback
  • djd352djd352 Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2017
    Having AWD on a CR-V is negligible and most people really do not need it. On top of that, the AWD system on the CR-V is really only good for helping you get unstuck and start moving, and even then it has limited capability. Whether you are worried about hydro-planning or snow fall, your tires are much more important. It seems everyone now a days thinks you need AWD to survive, when the real effect is marginal at best. Perhaps Edmunds should do an article on this? Consumer reports also did a good video on youtube using the last-gen CR-V and how unnecessary it is to have AWD.
    djd352 said:

Having AWD on a CR-V is negligible and most people really do not need it. On top of that, the AWD system on the CR-V is really only good for helping you get unstuck and start moving, and even then it has limited capability. Whether you are worried about hydro-planning or snow fall, your tires are much more important. It seems everyone now a days thinks you need AWD to survive, when the real effect is marginal at best. Perhaps Edmunds should do an article on this? Consumer reports also did a good video on youtube using the last-gen CR-V and how unnecessary it is to have AWD.

Unnecessary is relative, and depends a lot on where you live. Getting unstuck is the main driver behind getting AWD, so I wouldn't discount that.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• tlangnesstlangness Member Posts: 123
    Here's an article on Edmunds related to the AWD vs Tires discussion:
    https://www.edmunds.com/car-safety/driving-on-snow-and-ice-10-safety-tips.html

Currently waiting on numbers to discuss just how many AWD vs FWD CR-V's are sold each year in the U.S. Will report back.
  • natschampnatschamp Member Posts: 22
    Coughing up a measly 1300 or so dollars more for the AWD over 2 WD is a no brainer. Say what you want, but dealers don't stock up on them because they fear they'll fall prey to lot rot.
    ALL new car dealers get their stock using the "floor plan" model , so why would they want cars hanging around at extra expense to the house ?
    Compare the retail values : AWD vs 2WD on any SUV or Cross- Over ( not just the CRV) and see how the value ratio AWD to 2WD widens 3, 4, 5 yrs. and beyond down the road.
    Selling a used 2 WD CRV ?
    Your choices: Hear crickets with your FSBO ad or have the dealer beat the hell out of you on your trade-in.
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    You'll get most, if not all, of that AWD $1300 back at trade anyway, so I sure don't get a 2wd. The fuel mileage isn't much of a difference either. Duh...
  • busbodgerbusbodger Member Posts: 11
    We have 1st gen CRV and have made good use of it here in the south. Snow, ice, mud, wet fields, loose gravel on inclines, and did I mention the mud? I don't care what the criticisms are of Honda's AWD system - I know when it has made the difference for us - open diffs or no low range 4WD. The steering gets light and I can tell.

Maybe the difference is how a person uses their vehicle. Will it be a dry weather boulevard cruiser or a utility vehicle.

By the way we recently passed 300K miles on the original 5MT clutch despite the trailer towing we've done over the years.

We're shopping for a replacement for our other vehicle (a sedan). Will likely buy another AWD Honda product - a CRV/Pilot/MDX/RDX.