Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Worth it to buy 10+ year old used Volvo?

ricky67ricky67 Member Posts: 2
edited June 2017 in Volvo
Hello,

I've always dreamed to own a Volvo (preferably a wagon). I see adds for used 2000 to 2005 Volvos at a price that fits my budget (max $6.000) but I worry about having big maintenance / repairs down the road. I know that there will be problems with an older car, but I'm trying to figure out how bad it could be.

I don't intend to drive the car that much, only a couple of 300 mile trips a year and the occasional week-end outing.

Some cars don't seem to have that much mileage. I should add that I live in NYC and I have zero experience with cars.

I need a big trunk for my medium size dog's kennel (plus 2 teenagers in the back). If anyone has other suggestions for a wagon, I'll gladly hear them!

Thank you!

Eric

Best Answer

Answers

• ricky67ricky67 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you! You're right, there are lots of subarus around where I live (I would say 15% of the cars parked on the street). I've been renting so far, but it adds up. It's not so much the miles that I need but having a car for a certain amount of time (up to several weeks). I'll look at V70 with the specifications that you suggest.
    Thanks again!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I wouldn't buy an old Volvo that is "miled up" however. If you could find one under 80,000 miles, that would be a good start. Volvos are not cheap to fix, and while any used car will need *something*, the less, the better when it comes to any major repair. NYC is tough on cars, too, so I'd even tolerate a few little dings in my new purchase in order to get the lowest miles possible.

Having the car inspected prior to purchase, checking the CARFAX report, and asking for maintenance records are always good things to do.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,926
    Hold up. Don't buy those years if you are getting one with an automatic transmission. Those early 5-speed geartronics are not reliable. So, unless its a manual trans, just forget this idea altogether. '98-'99 are your best years for older volvos. '98 being preferable only because '99 introduced an ETM that can be a PITA. Those have the old 4-speed AW trans that is very reliable.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S