Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

TRANSMISSION / BALL JOINT FAILURES

nickcalibernickcaliber Member Posts: 1
edited August 2017 in Dodge
I am 68 and bought our 2008 Dodge caliber 2-wheel drive CVT Transmission new. It has had great care.It has 75900 miles on it. The ball joints failed at 50000 and now the transmission is failing. It has a rolling whine. I took it to two shops and both said to replace transmission. They will not work on them. The service manual says no service required on this transmission in this mileage. That was one of the selling points from dealer when I bought this car. The transmission was said to be the simplest and least vulnerable on market. Chrystler said no help when I called them.We did not have a local shop at time of power train inspection so I had local shop inspect at 50,000 in 2013 and they said transmission did not require service. This is a 4000 dollar replacement I cannot afford and I need car for caretaker to get wife to appointments. Can anyone help me with joining a lawsuit or other solution to this?
Thanks Nick

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

I am 68 and bought our 2008 Dodge caliber 2-wheel drive CVT Transmission new. It has had great care.It has 75900 miles on it. The ball joints failed at 50000 and now the transmission is failing. It has a rolling whine. I took it to two shops and both said to replace transmission. They will not work on them. The service manual says no service required on this transmission in this mileage. That was one of the selling points from dealer when I bought this car. The transmission was said to be the simplest and least vulnerable on market. Chrystler said no help when I called them.We did not have a local shop at time of power train inspection so I had local shop inspect at 50,000 in 2013 and they said transmission did not require service. This is a 4000 dollar replacement I cannot afford and I need car for caretaker to get wife to appointments. Can anyone help me with joining a lawsuit or other solution to this?
    Thanks Nick

Have you consulted with the dealer? My understanding is that the transmission can be serviced if necessary. I wonder if a service might improve the noise level?