Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

extended care warrant on a used Honda Odyssey

mimibeachbum11mimibeachbum11 Member Posts: 1
edited August 2017 in Honda
Just bought a used 2009 Honda Odyssey with 142000 miles. I want to purchase an extended warranty as I don't know the complete history of the vehicle. The companies all seem to be a bit overwhelming. One sounded good but on further investigation, the policy did not cover the timing belt nor the water pump, 2 key components for this car.

Any guidance?

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

Just bought a used 2009 Honda Odyssey with 142000 miles. I want to purchase an extended warranty as I don't know the complete history of the vehicle. The companies all seem to be a bit overwhelming. One sounded good but on further investigation, the policy did not cover the timing belt nor the water pump, 2 key components for this car.

Any guidance?

Realistically, you aren't going to be able to purchase a cost-effective warranty for a car with 142K miles. Those warranties are sold by insurance companies that stay in business by denying claims. So, any warranty you buy will just leave you less money to spend on repairs, and a lot of heartache trying to make claims on your warranty.

There really is no way to buy a high-mileage vehicle and not be at risk for repair and maintenance costs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    No warranty company is going to sell an extended warranty on a car with those many miles UNLESS it's one of those fly by night companies that will charge you a fortune and deny every claim.

And, timing belts are a maintenance item and no warranty company will cover these. They might cover the water pump. Water pumps are recommended at the time of timing belt replacement since they are "in there" and the water pump is accessible. It would be foolish to not replace it.