Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

When leasing, who has to allow early lease termination ? Manufacturer or dealer ?

ahmadkaahmadka Member Posts: 16
edited October 2017 in General
I'm in the process of leasing a 2017 Mazda 6 GT and am looking for a lease which allows early termination in some way (e.g. making all remaining monthly payments and returning the car, etc.). I talked to a dealer yesterday and he told me that the dealer cannot authorize this, and only "Mazda" can. He told me to contact Mazda directly and ask them this question.

He also replied the same thing when I asked if I can transfer the lease to someone else.

Is the dealer telling the truth, that Mazda itself should be asked this question and not the dealer ?

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,331
    ahmadka said:

I'm in the process of leasing a 2017 Mazda 6 GT and am looking for a lease which allows early termination in some way (e.g. making all remaining monthly payments and returning the car, etc.). I talked to a dealer yesterday and he told me that the dealer cannot authorize this, and only "Mazda" can. He told me to contact Mazda directly and ask them this question.

He also replied the same thing when I asked if I can transfer the lease to someone else.

Is the dealer telling the truth, that Mazda itself should be asked this question and not the dealer ?

It's actually the bank. Mazda Finance (aka Chase).

Terminating a lease early can be very, very expensive. Do not enter into a lease contract, unless you are certain that you can fulfill the terms.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yep, good advise! The dealer has nothing to do with this.

Make the remaining lease payments and walk away! An expensive decision to be sure.
  • Options

Make the remaining lease payments and walk away! An expensive decision to be sure.

I don't mind making the remaining payments, however one dealer told me I can't terminate the lease early *even* if I make all the remaining payments. Is this true ?? He said it was something to do with the returned car not having any insurance while it sits in the warehouse.
  • Options
    ahmadka said:

I don't mind making the remaining payments, however one dealer told me I can't terminate the lease early *even* if I make all the remaining payments. Is this true ?? He said it was something to do with the returned car not having any insurance while it sits in the warehouse.
    If you terminate the lease early, your financial obligation could be much greater than just the remaining payments. You'll owe the difference between the current value of the vehicle and the lease payoff. So, you can end a lease at any time, but your costs can be a lot higher than you might think.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    What about transferring a lease to someone else ? Is that normally allowed ?
  • Options
    ahmadka said:

That depends on the leasing bank.

Honda Finance, for instance, does not allow lease assumptions.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

ahmadka said:

That depends on the leasing bank.

Honda Finance, for instance, does not allow lease assumptions.
    So how do I find out if Mazda allows or not ?