Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• meanoldteachermeanoldteacher Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

My new 2007 Camry LE is now 1 week old and the only thing I see wrong so far is the standard radio that comes with it. I've tried turning off the automatic volume level control but it did not help the problems. The stock radio in my 2004 Camry as well as the stock radios in my two other vehicles do not exhibit these problems.

On local FM stations the sound seems to flutter somewhat while the vehicle is in motion. I know this is to be expected somewhat with FM since it's subject to weak signal pockets due to obstacles, but it is worse than I have experienced with any other vehicles, which do not exhibit the problem on local stations at all.

The AM reception is even more annoying. I live in San Diego and frequently listen to KFI in Los Angeles (about 100 miles away). Since this station is very high power, it comes in on my other radios just like it's next door. However, on the 2007 Camry it sounds rough and gravelly. Most local AM stations are better but not always perfect.

I have a feeling that this problem may merely be an "improvement" from Toyota for the 2007 models and that when I take it back to the dealer they won't be able to hear a thing! Have any of you experienced or heard of a similar problems?

Thanks,
    Ray

RayMitchell_REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_@MeanOldTeacher.com
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    I have briefly driven a 2007 Camry, but I didn't check the radio. I was mainly interested in seeing how it compares with my '04 and '05 (the '07 is somewhat quieter but the A-pillar seems wider; also I like the looks and soft feel of the LE cloth seats).

I think the dealer will just wave you away. 100 miles is little far for AM radio, in the daytime at least, despite the strength of the signal.

You may want to test drive another '07 Camry with the same radio to see if there's any difference.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    CAll the station and ask them their coverage area or email them-check their website. For a strong station I have no trouble with two Detroit stations, Indianapolis, Louisville, Chicago, not all of which are strong. Compare reception with another vehicle's radio.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• mca2mca2 Member Posts: 20
    Today all of my power windows stopped working. Unfortunately, the passenger side window is stuck all the way down. I checked all the fuses (under the hood and in the dash) and they all looked good. What could have caused this to stop working all of the sudden?
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    I assume the "lock windows" button isn't pushed in? If so, none of the controls will work including the driver's controls. Maybe at least try pushing it in and out once or twice to see if it's stuck.
  • mca2mca2 Member Posts: 20
    Yes, the window lock is not pushed in. The controls for all four windows will not work on the drivers side and none of the other controls on the other three doors work. :(
  • bildowbildow Member Posts: 100
    I HAVE A 2006 CAMRY AND HAVE THE SAME RADIO PROBLEM THE ANTENNA IS BUILT INTO THE BACK WINDOW AND Dosen't WORK AS WELL AS ANTENNA THAT RAISES AND LOWERS THE ROD STYLE FROM THE OLDER CAMRYS. I DRIVE IN SAN DIEGO AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK AND FOUND THE SAME PROBLEM WEAK STATIONS FROM LA AND ORANGE COUNTY. I HAVE ALSO FOUND THAT SOME RADIO STATIONS IN LA ARE JUST A LITTLE WEAK IN ORANGE COUNTY AND FLUTTER DUE TO THE HILLS AS WHERE IN LEXUS LS400 WITH THE ROD ANTENNA NO PROBLEMS. WORD AROUND THE ELECTRONICS WORLD SAY THE BUILT IN ANTENNA IS A LITTLE LESS SENSITIVE THAN THE ROD TYPE. :shades:
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    could be a wiring harness problem. but, it still could be a fuse issue.

pull the fuse responsible for the power windows (check your manual, or the fuse cover). replace it with a fuse of the exact same number and color (corresponds to maximum current draw). in the process of doing so, you may find that the fuse wasn't seated well, or although it "looked" good, had actually blown.

good luck.
  • christieleechristielee Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Camry, and I am trying to replace the right side mirror. I have removed every screw and popped the panel loose, but it is being held in place by the door handle. I've tried to remove the door handle cup (the screw is out) but can't seem to get it to budge. What am I missing?

Christie
  • blackcamryblackcamry Member Posts: 16
    Is anyone experiencing the same issue having a noise from the gas tank when the tank is full.
    It sounds like a bowling ball rolling around in the trunk or like when you move a water bottle (water moving around, slushing back and forth)...in this care fuel bouncing around the tank.
    It happens when the car start moving or when stopping.
    Do you know what this could be? Is it the tank float?
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    Mine is fine!!!!!!!!
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    hehe leaking yeah right, not so sure about that. But its standard operating procedure to change it when you change your timing belt. I don't know if I believe that as much as most do.

On my 2001 camry 4 cylinder there's no trans pan to drop or screen. The best mechanics I know recommend just draining and replacing the trans fluid. They also state that you should never have them flush your transmission. They all want to do that now by the way. But a lot times it causes problems to occur that cost much much more.

I changed my trans fluid at 30k and 60k I don't think I will ever change it again. Most of the nasty metal sludge should be out by now. I also change my radiator fluid at 30k and 60k, and will continue doing that every 30k.

I have 83,000 and have not done the timing belt yet. My last car was a corolla and when I had my timing belt changed they didn't tighten the bolts enough and I had oil leaks from then on. Even after retightening them. So I have issues with changing the belt.

I read all over that that the 4 cylinder camry has a non interference belt and will not damage your car if it breaks.

I also switched to mobil1 at around 60k a little late then I should have but I am happy not to have to get an oil change as often. Plus I think my car likes it.

My last tip, Don't ever fix a transmission or engine when they are bad just dump the car somewhere. Mechanics can cause more problems when they try to fix something. Then never take responsablity.
  • spanishboyspanishboy Member Posts: 4
    I just found out if you go to CNN.comAutos may 30, 2006, The news is that Toyota Motor Corp is recalling 1 million cars worldwide to replace faulty intermediate shafts and sliding yokes.also Toyota is conducting a special service campaign in the US for 170,000 Priuses. Maybe my complaint to the Transportation and highway safety Administration did some good I certainly hope so. If they do recall our cars with this problem and you have had your repaired at your own expense keep your recipts you might be eligble for a reimbursement.
  • moeharrimoeharri Member Posts: 108
    I'm glad someone else noticed this too! I was wondering if my spare tire isn't tightened down properly. If you find out how to fix it, let me know :-)
  • blackcamryblackcamry Member Posts: 16
    that was what I thought when I heard the noise...but actually it comes from the tank...when it's full or 3/4 full
    let me know if you have talked to the dealer
  • deepwate1rdeepwate1r Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1998 Camry, with the 4 cylinder engine, it has started to leak some oil from under the rear passenger side, I can not figure out how to tighten, or remove the valve cover and replace the gasket, can anyone please help me !!!
    Thanks
    Steve
  • legionnairelegionnaire Member Posts: 4
    I brought the car for an oil change at Kearny Mesa Toyota in San Diego. Now, im here in Pomona and (150miles away)when I got out from the car I smelled something oily, I looked around, pop up the engine hood, checked if there is any spilled oil, nothing then I check under the car and saw the oil filter is dripping so I went back to the engine, check the oil dip stick and found no marking of oil on the stick, to make sure I wiped the stick with the cloth dipped, pulled and still no marking of oil on the stick . Now im really pissed because im not sure if I drove the car 150 miles without oil (Low oil pressure on the the instrumental panel did not lit). My real question now is will the dealer replace my car or engine with a new one after all they're the one that did the change oil and it's their fault.
  • kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Make note of how many quarts of oil you have to put in, to get it back up to the full mark.
    I would ask the service manager at the dealer how he wants to come check the car's problem for documentation for him and for you. I wouldn't add oil or tighten the filter until you talk to someone in charge.

• ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    You may have dodged a bullet. (You wouldn't have made it 1 mile without any oil.) Do not restart the engine in its present extremely low oil level condition. I suspect either the oil change person (You really think dealerships put their best mechanics on something as mundane as an oil change?) at Kearny Mesa Toyota undertightened the oil filter or cartridge cap, overtigtened the oil filter or cartridge cap and crushed its gasket, undertightened the drain plug, or, {shudder} x-threaded the oil drain plug which resulted in a ruined oil pan that'll permanently leak. From your description, I suspect a problem with the oil filter, but have the drain plug checked while you're at it. Have the car towed to a shop or dealership to have the cause of the leak checked out and repaired as necessary, the filter replaced, and fresh oil added. Kearny Mesa Toyota is probably responsible for the total cost of any related repairs if necessary, but it may take legal action to force them to pay up if they stonewall you. Don't hesitate to bring ToyotaUSA into this if Kearny Mesa Toyota does.

(Ask me why I won't even accept the first "free" oil change from a dealership in any new cars I buy. Don't even ask my opinion of the "Gypie Boob" oil change places... For a "fun" read about the nation's largest chain of oil change shops, go here for part 1, and here for part 2.)
    Those videos and reports are pricesless! What's funnier is this is the third time in years the TV station has caught Jiffy Lube stores ripping of customers!!!

I wouldn't take my car in unless I could see that they do the work I've authorized. I do all my work myself. Trans flushes most people don't need, e.g., just regular pan drops and filter changes!

From my reads over at BITOG, tranny flushes can cause more problems than they solve in high mileage, poorly maintained trannies in which a machine pressure flush results in dislodging accumulated crud that ends up clogging the minute passages in the valve body.
    Thank you for all your responses and concerns. I'm still 150 away from home, I bought 5quarts of penzoil 5w-30, first thing tomorrow morning im going fill up the engine and drive it to the toyota dealer here in Pomona (5miles drive) and have them check it.

Is there anyway the dealer can check if my engine pistons, shafts are still in tack like a brand new engine? Bytheway the car has only 1400mls.
    I agree with imid and ray. Don't add any oil -- have the car towed to the Pomona dealer. Before Pomona touches the car, call the service dept. at Kearny Mesa Toyota and tell them what happened. Then be sure to document what Pomona finds wrong with the car, and how much oil was needed to refill the crankcase.

You don't want to get into a "he said, she said" between the dealers. Get everything documented!

I've been in that situation before (with VW), and I ended up being the loser. (Each dealer blamed the other for botched service, but after months of delay from VW corporate, I was left holding the bag in the end.)
    Thanks! Ill call Toyota and have it towed to the nearest Toyota dealer here Pomona...

Oil dip stick doesnt show any oil marking on it but oil pressure indicator on the instrumental panel does not light so that does mean there is still oil the engine?
    You're quite welcome. I would assume there's some oil left, but maybe not enough to prevent some serious damage. So the selling dealer could owe you a new engine.
    Why not call the dealer who did the service first! They may want to have it towed back to their shop to check it. Let them decide what to do with their service mistake.

• deepwate1rdeepwate1r Member Posts: 2
    Does no one know how to remove the valve cover on the 4 cylinder Toyota engine???

Please Help !!!!

Steve
    "Oil dip stick doesnt show any oil marking on it but oil pressure indicator on the instrumental panel does not light so that does mean there is still oil the engine?"

Depends. If the oil pressure idiot light* illuminates when you turn the ignition key to "on", then it's working correctly (a safety check in effect every time you start your engine). Check this out if you want to, but DON'T actually start the motor! (no point tempting fate) If you're sure the oil pressure idiot light never came on while driving, but the oil pressure idiot light illuminates when the ignition key is advanced to its "on" position, the odds are reasonably good that no engine damage occurred. In any event, it's Toyota's problem for a minimum of, what - 5 yrs./60,000 miles?

*Note to manufacturers - who's the bean-counting cretin who decreed a "warning" light for low or non-existant oil pressure, that, by the time it illuminates in use, indicates catastrophic damage is somewhere between imminent and fate accompli?
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    If no one here can help, try the forums at automotivehelper.com
  • iraqicamryguyiraqicamryguy Member Posts: 7
    Hi every one I have 2000 XLE Camry and I have problem with the CD Changer it dosn't accept cd's any more when I press load it's refuse to open the door to get the cd's and that's happend after I desided to change all the 6 disk's in the same time with new one's I mean when I took out all the disk's usually I change one or to disks at the same time but this is the first time I tryed to change them all, I appreciate any help
    I just got the car back (ran smooth getting back here), Toyota service dept (Claremont toyota, Pomona) found out that my filter housing was over tightened by the mechanic here in Toyota Kearny Mesa, SD and resulted a cracked. So they did their normal operation, order the housing and put new oil (Stated on the document). Now I still cant sleep at night cause I know when I got to Pomona from San Diego, it was showing no oil residue on the oil dip stick (Checked 5x), Oil was all over my inlaws garage. Now im planning to take it to the Toyota dealer here in San Diego that did the oil change and have them do an extensive check up on the engine (Compression or Leak down test), you know so I can just have peace of mind and able to sleep at night.

Thanks again in advance!
  • carylkcarylk Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a problem with water forming on the rocker panels and along the door hinges whenever it rains? 10 days after my recent purchase, I started noticing drops of water on the rocker panels of all 4 doors. Many visits to the dealer and even the factory rep, here is the response I received:
    "Water tested vehicle with district manager from Toyota. Tested with another 06 model Camry and other vehicle has same drain type as this vehicle. This is a typical and normal operation for the year model Camry. The mouldings are designed to prevent water from entering the vehicle and doors."

What do you think? Might be OK if you live in Florida and the chances of door freeze ups and rust are slim, but in Boston.......
    It's really nothing to worry about. I have both an '04 and an '05 (same design as '06); the older one has 37,000+ miles, and there's no rust or sticking doors. We do get freezing weather here (central VA).

You can apply silicone with a rag from an aerosol can to refresh the rubber seals and prevent sticking in the winter.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Every car I have ever owned does not seal the entire rocker panel and hinges from water. The seals are inboard of those locations. You can easily see where the seals are on the body and on the doors themselves. Cars have been built this way probably since after World War II. As long as you don't get any leaks into the passenger compartment, nothing is wrong.
  • zakimanzakiman Member Posts: 71
    car is 6 month old with close to 3k miles on it. I don't drive it that much ! when should I go for my 1st oil change ? at 5k? or should I do it every 3 or 6 months regardless of miles since the car isn't driven that much ?
    thanks!
    What does your owner's manual say regarding time?
    not really sure. I'll have to check...
  • spanishboyspanishboy Member Posts: 4
    Just read about your problem with the steering shaft. I have the same problem and right now I have written the CEO because Toyota is recalling 1 million cars. Well they are recalling the Prius but not the Camary. Having talked to their Customer Service Rep, they did an investigation which is complete and they are not recalling the Camary as they put it there have no accident been reported on it. And like I told the customer rep are they going to wait until someone is killed. Maybe everyone should send a letter to The CEO. His name address is:
    Mr. Jim Press, President
    Toyota Motor North America, Inc.
    19001 Southwestern Ave
    Torrence, Calif. 90509-2991
    It's the same as before ('04 and '05 models): change at 6 months or 5000 miles, whichever comes first.

So change it now.
  • npetersnpeters Member Posts: 1
    Hope maybe someone can give me a hand. My camry stalls when idle or slowing to turn. It doesn't happen all the time. Mechanics had a tough time with it. They gave her a fuel injection cleaning, replaced the computer, idle speed valve, throttle positioning sensor, distrubuter sensor, checked everything and the car still stalls. Whenever the gas peddle is released, then the car begins to sputter and will stall. Will not start up right away. It takes about 5 times to get her going. Any advice would be appreciated!
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    gut feel is there is a problem getting gas fuel pressure to the injector rail. may be a fuel filter clogged, or perhaps a fuel pump going bad. time to take it somewhere else perhaps.
  • piratepetepiratepete Member Posts: 1
    I have the exact same problem on my 2003 Camry. I was wondering if you found out what the problem was.
    THANK you so much '210delray' ...this is exactly the info I was looking for.
  • lovecdlovecd Member Posts: 50
    I recently found the acceleration padel is not smooth as before, sometimes, it is kind of stiff when waiting for the traffic light, and not that easy to press it down. Does anybody has experience how to get it fix it?

Many thanks!
  • typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    Likely the throttle butterfly valve has carbon on it and needs cleaning. It's located where air cleaner hose attaches to the long throttle body tube. Use carb cleaner sparingly along with cloth to clean it when engine is cold.
  • alintexalintex Member Posts: 1
    I am having a problem with the rear shoulder belt on my 1994 camry. I pulled it out too much, and now it won't retract. Is this something that I can fix myself, or do I need to take it to the dealer?
  • 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    Have the EGR valve replaced.They are known for sticking open wich causes a stalling situation when the throttle is closed.
  • tr7tr7 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased my '94 Camry LE new and just recently began to have several problems: 1) Oil leaks, which my mechanic had a problem stopping even after replacing valves, 2)Stalling periodically after stopping at a light. I have to put the car in park, turn it off, then crank it again. 3) The engine light has started coming on when the air conditioner is turned on. It goes off in about 15-20 minutes after turning off the air. My car has 166,000 miles. Any insight?
  • rjruschrjrusch Member Posts: 1
    I have a toyota camry 2001 V6 and check engine light stays on. I have attempted to clean the EGR system but no luck. when the dealer checks why the light is on it says the egr valve is the reason. how do i clean it properly or replace the egr valve or get the system cleaned?
This discussion has been closed.