Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Need help on another old car

vermontjohnvermontjohn Member Posts: 7
edited January 2018 in General

The pictured vehicle is registered in CT in 1925. The registration number, because of the "D" at the end, appears to be for something other than a passenger vehicle. The distinctive triangular emblem looks like something I should recognize but I'm drawing a blank. Any suggestions?
Tagged:

Comments

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,708
    The emblem looks like a Hudson, so it's about a 1920 or so model:
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2018
    Something like this. The badge varied over time:

I was surprised how few companies used triangular badges.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    edited January 2018
    Not a lot of triangles now. Pontiac sorta

• vermontjohnvermontjohn Member Posts: 7
    It definitely has one word across the top of the triangle and several words in a smaller font below that. That first Hudson emblem is closer than anything else I could find. Did Hudson ever make trucks?
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,164
    Hudson made a stylish car-based pickup, but not until the 40s.

However, it was not uncommon back in the old days for cars to be cut down into pickups or other utility vehicles, and that might explain the plates.

Or could "D" be a dealer plate?

It definitely has one word across the top of the triangle and several words in a smaller font below that. That first Hudson emblem is closer than anything else I could find. Did Hudson ever make trucks?

• vermontjohnvermontjohn Member Posts: 7
    I think this cinches it. I found a copy of "The Hudson Triangle", perhaps the company newsletter, dated October 25, 1919 that talks about the shutters on the radiator cover that are used to control engine temperature on the Essex and Hudson at the time. A very ingenious idea and of course the shutters would be closed in winter as in my picture.
    Thanks for everyone's help.
    edited January 2018
    I have no doubt it's a Hudson. Both the badge and the radiator housing shape and shutters make it easy to ID. I wish all pre-1930 cars were so easy!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited January 2018
    We sometimes forget that America has produced over 1500 (perhaps closer to 1800) different makes of cars in the last 120 years or so. Not trim lines, but distinct names!

Many were strictly regional and never strayed far from the state they were made in; others were the stuff of dreams, with perhaps only a dozen produced; a few were nothing more than a name on a stock certificate and a cobbled up prototype.