Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Convertible - Mustang or not to Mustang that's the question.

ka_edmundska_edmunds Member Posts: 4
edited January 2018 in Ford
Hello everyone, I am looking for a convertible. Drove a couple of them - Mustang (Ecoboost and GT), an Audi as well. I feel going the Mustang way because I liked the ride, GT's engine sound was awesome but also like the EcoBoost. I am not a muscle car or a big power car guy, and also never driven a rear wheel drive. Have heard about rear wheel cars being prone to skidding/slipping. I live in Georgia so may get occasional snow and definitely rain a few times a year.
I want a fun car but not going to take it to track or anything like that. I know the 2015+ models of Mustangs have traction control. Would like to get some input from the car enthusiasts and knowledgeable people on the forum to help me understand if I drive moderately (not too fast but not too slow either), is the Mustang safe and fun at the same time?

Thank you.

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302

Hello everyone, I am looking for a convertible. Drove a couple of them - Mustang (Ecoboost and GT), an Audi as well. I feel going the Mustang way because I liked the ride, GT's engine sound was awesome but also like the EcoBoost. I am not a muscle car or a big power car guy, and also never driven a rear wheel drive. Have heard about rear wheel cars being prone to skidding/slipping. I live in Georgia so may get occasional snow and definitely rain a few times a year.
    I want a fun car but not going to take it to track or anything like that. I know the 2015+ models of Mustangs have traction control. Would like to get some input from the car enthusiasts and knowledgeable people on the forum to help me understand if I drive moderately (not too fast but not too slow either), is the Mustang safe and fun at the same time?

Thank you.

Traction is all about the tires. Make sure your Mustang is equipped with all-seasons and not summer tires, and you should be able to handle anything that Georgia weather throws at you (not withstanding the last couple of weeks).

RWD cars are inherently better handling than FWD cars. Don't all vehicles have stability control, now?
    The faster you drive, the safer that RWD becomes.

If you aren't a big power/muscle car person, stick with the EcoBoost and save yourself a lot of money. Yes, you don't get the exhaust note of the GT, but it's still a powerful and fast car with the turbo.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    ka_edmundska_edmunds Member Posts: 4
    Thank you for the comments.