Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

My Toyota Celica GT 2002 is hesitating to accelerate.

shaunboyshaunboy Member Posts: 3
edited January 2018 in Toyota
Check engine light is not on, it seems to do it minutes after the engine warms up, engine temp and oil pressure is fine.
Dont think its transmission cause it seems to do it when in park when i give it gas but not as bad.I ran some Lucas fuel treatment through a full tank of gas. Im down to the solutions of it being spark plugs, ignition packs, Oxygen sensor, or fuel filter. any suggestions

Answers

• Options
    shaunboy said:

Check engine light is not on, it seems to do it minutes after the engine warms up, engine temp and oil pressure is fine.
    Dont think its transmission cause it seems to do it when in park when i give it gas but not as bad.I ran some Lucas fuel treatment through a full tank of gas. Im down to the solutions of it being spark plugs, ignition packs, Oxygen sensor, or fuel filter. any suggestions

It seems to do hesitate at it medium to low speed acceleration, doesn't seem to effect high speed acceleration
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    When was the last tune up?
  • Options
    it has been awhile
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well I"m not a fan of throwing parts at a problem without methodical diagnosis but a set of spark plugs and new wires is always a good investment--or at least look at the plugs and "read" them. DON'T buy an 02 sensor if you haven't had the car scanned, and codes extracted. You could change the fuel filter, sure, that's just part of regular maintenance.

For a more methodical diagnosis, you'd need to scan the car and also read the fuel pressure at the fuel rail.
  • Options
    CAPTAINSOLOCAPTAINSOLO Member Posts: 1
    Looks like a dirty or defective Mas Airflow Sensor on top of the air intake hose.

Swap in a known-good sensor from another car. All Toyotas and Lexus use the same DENSO MAS.