Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Lease a car in Oregon or other no-sales tax state to avoid sales tax?

tallguy81tallguy81 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2018 in General
Anyone know f I can lease a car in Oregon to avoid sales tax on the monthly payments? I'd also consider an upfront payment if it avoids sales tax. Anyone know?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,749
    tallguy81 said:

Anyone know f I can lease a car in Oregon to avoid sales tax on the monthly payments? I'd also consider an upfront payment if it avoids sales tax. Anyone know?

You can't do any of that. You'll have to register the car where you live, and that's where sales tax is assessed.
    CAP cost reductions (money paid upfront that reduces the payment) are taxed upfront.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    You are far from the first person who has tried this and like our Moderator said. You can't do that!

I'm in Washington State and whenever an Oregon resident wanted to buy a new or used car we had to make VERY SURE they had no connection to the state of Washington! They had to provide FOUR positive pieces of Oregon ID and if their Credit Report showed ANY connection to Washington such as a summer vacation lot
    on the coast or whatever we had to decline the sale.

Also, I'm no lawyer but tax evasion is what you are trying to do and Uncle Sam takes a very dim view of that!