Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GIVE ME YOUR BEST SHOT INTERNET Front collision damage

justsomeguy7justsomeguy7 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2018 in Ford
Alright so we are looking at a 2010 ford focus FWD. It was in a frontal collision.
The car will turn on, however it wont move. I will pin the image I currently have. What are some of the things that could be wrong here. What are some of your guesses on a repair estimate. Currently the estimate given by a mechanic was 5000-6000$. Which is the price of buying a new one. ********. Lets stop this foul business practice of preying on ignorance. I will get more information on the vehicle later and post it as well. If you have questions that will help better identify the problem shoot away. Thank you Internet. :smile:https://imgur.com/a/aWCKj

Comments

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    My experience has been if sheet metal bends, it's $2,500 - $3,000 minimum. This has been true for my wife backing into a truck and crimping a fender, avoiding hitting deer but having the deer slam against the side of the car and crimping a door panel, and other incidents over the years. Can't tell from the pic about much more than the cosmetics, but since the car won't move, there are obviously some mechanical issues to deal with as well, so $5,000+ as an estimate isn't really surprising.

Some of our more expert forums members may have thoughts on what COULD be wrong.
  • Options
    And just a FYI, you can also simply add photos to your post with the Attach Image icon just above the posting box. I'll copy and add your image here

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Just looking at it again, you have the hood, both front quarter panels, front clip, can't see, but the damage could get back to the door panels on both sides, grille, headlight assemblies, possibly radiator. And that's before dealing with "won't move". and all the other little things that there are.

Here's a photo of damage to my vehicle after the deer slammed against the side. About $3,000 and no mechanical issues. I had the alignment checked just in case the deer had caught the left front wheel. Thankfully my only out of pocket cost was my insurance deductible!

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,302
    If that's under $6000, I'll eat your hat...

My son's 1995 car was backed into.. cracked the plastic on the top of the front bumper, and scuffed up a rub strip on the front of the bumper cover.. $1200.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    edited March 2018

Alright so we are looking at a 2010 ford focus FWD. It was in a frontal collision.
    The car will turn on, however it wont move.

Meaning exactly what? Will the transmission go into gear and you can tell the engine is loaded against it or does the engine simply rev freely like the transmission is in neutral. OR, does that mean the engine doesn't accept any throttle input?

I will pin the image I currently have. What are some of the things that could be wrong here. What are some of your guesses on a repair estimate. Currently the estimate given by a mechanic was 5000-6000$. Which is the price of buying a new one. ********.

What you can buy a "used" one for is irrelevant when it comes to reparing damage, aka the defiition of "totalled"

Lets stop this foul business practice of preying on ignorance.

Yes absolutely, let's stop the ignorance. Oh wait, you're suggesting that the repair estimates that you have already in hand are the problem and that anyone looking at a randon photo on the internet would be a better judge of a repair cost. Sorry but it is that idea that needs to be addressed as lacking education.

Here is the first question beyond the immobile condition that cannot be answered from this photo. Did the seat belts deploy? It doesn't appear that any of the other airbags deployed but that does't mean that the sealt belts didn't which is the first stage system response in even a minor collision. While we are on that thought, by chance did any of the airbags deploy? If not is the system not working correctly and maybe they failed to deploy when they should have?

Notice how the majority of the collision damage is above the bumper. I would expect the radiator, condensor, cooling fans, and radiator support are all easy victims along with the headlights and grill and fascia. The unseen damage is what happened to the intake manfold and anythng associated to it if this is the 4cyl. The intake manifold is very likely to have been impacted based on how far the grill appears to be pushed back but that doesn't mean it has been damaged. If the vehicle won't move because it won't accpet throttle commands, that might have some correlation. Other items clearly damaged are the fenders, both inner and outer, plus the hood.

I will get more information on the vehicle later and post it as well. If you have questions that will help better identify the problem shoot away. Thank you Internet. :smile:https://imgur.com/a/aWCKj

But $6000? This is easily in that range if not higher. Now you can get someone to bid lower who can always turn around and increase their estimate when they find additional damage not apparent at the time that the first estimate is made.

Estimate...
    www.dictionary.com/browse/estimate