Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Can somebody help me pinpoint exact problem

behemoth666behemoth666 Member Posts: 3
edited March 2018 in Dodge
 I have a 2004 Dodge grand Caravan SE 3.3 L reading code P0172 and P0301 strong smell of either gas or exhaust in the cabin also miss firing rough idle and sometimes stalling I know with the code reading it could be multi Multiple things can somebody help me pinpoint what exactly is wrong with it so I don’t misdiagnose it

Best Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Answer ✓
    Well the P0172 is probably caused by the misfire P0301. There's no way to tell you what the exact cause is--you have to test each possible cause. If you want me to guess with your money I'd say spark plugs and/or plug wires--especially if those haven't been changed in a long time.

You could possibly switch spark plug wires and see if the trouble code moves the other cylinder you switched.

Faulty spark plug or wire
    Faulty coil (pack)
    Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
    Faulty fuel injector
    Burned exhaust valve
    Running out of fuel
    Poor compression

• Options
    Answer ✓
    Well the P0172 is probably caused by the misfire P0301. There's no way to tell you what the exact cause is--you have to test each possible cause. If you want me to guess with your money I'd say spark plugs and/or plug wires--especially if those haven't been changed in a long time. You could possibly switch spark plug wires and see if the trouble code moves the other cylinder you switched. Faulty spark plug or wire Faulty coil (pack) Faulty oxygen sensor(s) Faulty fuel injector Burned exhaust valve Running out of fuel Poor compression

replaced the old ones with autolite platinum spark plugs they’re good spark plugs at least I thought they were can’t be wires I replaced those as well and for no fuel I always keep her tank full. I just don’t want to go buy a bunch of parts and it not being one but the other and wasting money 

Answers

• Options
    uceegod said:
    You may be having a vacuum leak, try checking the air intake system - MAF, air filter & throttle body
    Alright I’ll let you know what happens