Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MX-5 Miata (2005 and earlier)

Comments

• wdrwdr Member Posts: 11
    I'm looking for some info on Miata leases. I'm interested in the base model with suspension pkg. Does anyone have any idea of the residuals or money factors on Miatas? Or care to share what they are paying for their lease?
  • mculikmculik Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing either a 1999 Miata 10th Anniversary Edition or a 1999 Ford Mustang Cobra Convertible. I have not yet test driven the Miata, but I have been in the Mustang. I had a really good time and I burnt some rubber, and did a couple of shifts while holding the throttle wide open and then dumping the clutch. I was wondering if the Miata has a clutch "grippy" enough and a driveshaft and rear-end strong enough to do perfrom those manuevers. Can the 119 lb/ft of torque the car produces even break the rear-end loose? Also, can you hang the tail out in the Miata by just flooring it like you can with the Ford?

Thanks to anyone who answers!!!
  • freddy_kfreddy_k Member Posts: 376
    How much difference is there? I have test driven the miata a couple of times with the upgrade, never without. I will be buying one slightly used, and I see the one without the upgrade most often. Should I excercise patience and hold out for one with the upgrade?
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Member Posts: 956
    Most people are pretty happy with the standard setup. Since you haven't driven it, why not try it out and then decide?

In any case, it isn't rocket science to make the mods yourself if you decide that suits you.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • dominicdominic Member Posts: 8
    Wife is taking delivery of 2000 MIata LS w/ appearance package late March / Early April. Under $22K! Anyone have a suggestion on a good rack? Or, is this the wrong car to haul bikes?
  • WarpDriveWarpDrive Member Posts: 506
    The sport suspension makes the car far grippier. Fatter tires and far grippier rubber (the Pilot SX GT's are a high performance tire compared to the middling all-season tires on the standard 14" wheels)

The beauty of the standard setup is that you can induce some sliding if you induce some oversteering. Because of the Miata's balanced handling, you can choose to do this during aggressive cornering and then recover easily. With the sport package tires, the car doesn't slide as easily, but when it breaks lose, it usually does so more suddenly, Since you are cornering at a higher rate because of your speed, it is harder to recover. For this reason, most people find the standard package more rewarding because you can induce/control/recover from sliding with more ease. Also, the narrower tires help it track better when there are ruts on the road. And the car may ride better if the roads are potholed because of the higher profile in the standard wheel.
    It's is unlikely you'll be able to perform any of the same tricks with the Miata that you did in the Cobra. It's much harder to break the rear end lose on the Miata. Although you'll get some degree wheelspin on a Miata if you dump the clutch...it doesn't have anywhere near the power to do musclecar activities such as leaving a trail of rubber or break the rear end wildly loose. If this is your idea of fun, I suspect that you'll be plenty disappointed in a Miata.

Where the Miata beats a Mustang is in its go-kart feel. Imagine driving a go-kart on a track that has five foot radius hairpin turns. The go-kart is speed limited to 30 mph. You enter the corner at top speed, pick your line. The go-kart plows ahead a bit and you're losing your line. You lift your throttle a bit and the rear end starts coming around, you crank your steering toward your line, the whole car starts to do a four wheel drift, you get back into the throttle and masterfully resume your line. You are now having fun! With the Miata, you can perform tricks like this without having to go 100mph. The Miata feels like that go-kart, it's so small that you feel like you are directly connected to the road, the steering is precise, the car is balanced and obeys your every command. You can slide and recover from your slides with the ease that you've seen on TV car chases.
  • geemahgeemah Member Posts: 5
    Has anyone else noticed that the NEW LS package on the Miata has a lot more standard equipment on it then it did a month ago? Standard equipment includes the appearance package, AC and fog lights! Anyone know why? Plus....the price came down by $450!!!! Please explain! I'm buying one next week!
  • karl1973karl1973 Member Posts: 89
    The only reason I can think of is that Mazda is trying to keep in pace with the Toyota MR-2 Spyder. For roughly the same price, you get more content with the MR-2 (that is before Mazda decided to change their pricing on Miata.)
    I don't think it would really make a difference though. There will only be 5000 MR-2 this year and the number is too few to really compete. And I'd imagine Toyota dealers will put a hefty markup on the ones they can get their hands on. I think all of them have been spoken for already (a friend just bought a Celica and he told me, the dealer he visited is going to get only one MR-2 and a few people have already put money down for it)
    This is the first time I know that the Miata has had its price lowered in such a way...just one month before the MR2S comes out...what a coincidence!!!
    Thanks for the response...in Oregon I'm getting conflicting information about factory rebates...Edmunds says $1500, dealers in Portland are saying $1000, some sights list no incentives in the area whatsoever! Can anyone help me get to the root of the problem? Thanks again...you've all been a great help in my quest!
  • bizbroker5bizbroker5 Member Posts: 9
    check out kbb.com as a comparison for more current info on miata pricing/rebates. For some reason, that I cannot fathom,in spite of many others who have been also awaiting Edmunds' highly regarded pricing info updates, Edmunds has not posted this important info{perhaps there is a staffing problem?}.Carorder.com has not updated their info either(perhaps they rely on Edmunds for their source of current info;seem improbable on the face of it). In any case both Edmunds and carorder.com are 14+ days behind in updating their info to the public.Come on guys, let's get with it!=Your public is waiting.
    I misspoke;kbb.com does not post rebate info nor dealer incentives-Edmunds does, however both Edmunds and carorder.com are "way behind as of yesterday" in posting updated info on rebates/invoice pricing/MSRP pricing.
    Thanks Biz for the updated info....Is there any sight that has the latest pricing info and rebate info that is current? Aside from calling the local dealer (which may or may not give me the correct info, since they didn't even know that Mazda had dropped the prices!), I seem to be at a stalemate. I'm looking forward to playing hookie this week and want to be IN a Miata by the weekend! Thanks in advance for all your help!
  • atomicelbowatomicelbow Member Posts: 2
    I posted a while back about looking at a used Miata, i went to Mazda Gallery in Norwood, MA (any comments on them?) yesterday to check out what they had in stock. Well to make a long story short I may have bought a 2000 Miata yesterday, I am just concerned the dealer was not up front with me regarding the pricing, rebates, and standard features. The car was a Base 2000 in emerald mica with A/C, fog lights, cassette/CD player, appearance pkg., windblocker, LEV(mandatory in MA.), floor mats listed as options. The dealer claims a 2% over invoice price is $21,499 (includes a $1000 rebate) The car sticker says $24,070. From what I have read there seems to be some changes in the base price of the car, what is standard and what the rebate is. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks. And barring some really shocking news I should be picking it up in a week or so. BTW - it drives like a go-kart!
    /bb
  • feinswogfeinswog Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

Just started looking the other day for a miata, and have a few questions for ya'll. (Yes. that's a texas thing.)

1) The new pricing I found on the kkb page (thanks for that tip!) notes that a/c in their post 3/3 pricing is now standard in all packages? Can anyone confirm that before I go into the dealership and sound like a gullible idiot?

2) How do people feel about the ABS? I've got it on my truck right now, and I like it, but in Houston we just deal with wet roads (and oil) no ice. Is it worth the extra $500? (i'm leaning towards no at the moment, but am listening.)

3) Has anyone gone through Mazda financing? They just put out a new "progressive" financing deal where they pay 1/2 the payment for the first 6 months, 1/4 for the next, and you're on your own for the remainder (60 month plans.) It works out to roughly the same as their rebate, but a year with significantly lower payments is better for me. Does Mazda financing have any known drawbacks? Or are they just like any other bank?

(Oh, and I find the Miata to be quite roomy. 'Course, I'm 5'1"... :)

thanks,
    laurie
    for more detailed info read the forum(go to miata.net then select forum or read everything that interests you; you can also "subscribe" where you will get return e-mail answers to your written questions(no charge). Also under forum be sure to go to "dealer pricing....") and under dealer pricing....follow the "threads" for a detailed discussion on price changes by Mazda re the Miata that took place circa 3/3/2000. kbb.com also has postings on the"price" depending on "when the car was invoiced".Obviously there will be some confusion even amongst dealers until at least"the dust has settled".

ira
    Thanks for the info and the help. I'm glad someone repsonds!!!!
    I haven't seen one yet, I hear they are plastic, is this right? Are their better after market ones available?
    help; can anyone locate, AT ANY DEALERSHIP, a new miata 2000 LS in evolution orange with automatic transmission but without appearance package/without fog lights but with air conditioning and with ABS? EAST of texas, USA; east cost of USA?

ira
    Since you know what you want, have you tried one of those car buying services? You can tell them what you want and they should be able to locate something for you. If not, you can always try somewhere else.
    Karl,

I have been waiting for my car since 12/31/1999(ordered via carorder.com) and for whatever reason(s) the ball was dropped so I am still waiting that is why I posted Here in the hopes that it might expedite a happy solution.

Ira
    Go to a dealership and see if they can search their database for your specific car. I know that's possible because I know there are a couple of actual salesman posting on www.miataforum.com and they have posted 10AE availability list (listing how many at what dealership in which city nation-wide)
    Visit a dealer and see if they can do that for you.
    You may also want to visit www.miataforum.com. There is a "Pricing" section there and you may want to post there and ask the couple of dealers and see whether they can help you out.
    Good Luck!
    I noticed your name there, I guess you have been posting...
    Anyway, good luck!
    (I am leaving the above post in so other people know where to go for some good info.)
  • lemurtxlemurtx Member Posts: 6
    I am going to buy a 95 Miata... I had already had a road trip planned before I thought about buying a "new" car, from Texas to Indiana. Is taking it on this long of a road trip not a good idea?

Thanks...
  • miata1miata1 Member Posts: 1
    Can anybody tell me the best product they have found for the cleaning of the tan vinyl tops ? I have tried a number of items with no satisfaction, although I clean my baby almost every week, it seems like the ground in dirt for the tan top shows thru, much to clearly !!
    Any help is appreciated, thank you.
    Why on earth wouldn't you want to take it on the road, lemurtx? Can't think of a reason.

Admittedly, the roads out that way tend to be a bit flat and straight and, well, boring. But you knew that when you bought it, right?

Now, if you're in a rush and confined to dealing with interstates, you may find it more pleasant to take the Lexus. But there are some beautiful roads you can hit out that way, too, if you can get off the interstates and take your time.

Just remember to put the top down;) Oh, and take the sunblock.

I envy you. Have fun.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    I have the tan top, too, and have never run into the problem really. Do you park under trees an awful lot, or in a heavily polluted area?

In any case, about once a year, I use Dawn (dish) detergent in warm water and a soft brush to (gently) scrub the entire top. Then rinse and use Lexol vinyl conditioner (not armorall for sure!) -- mine ('92) still looks good.

I can't recall any recommendations for anything stronger from my readings on the miata.net, but you could give it a try. Actually, what I'd do myself is try the above then, if that didn't do it, go to an upholstery shop or perhaps a detailing shop to ask for hints.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    Joe W. (et al)

Ok...that's settled...But, I haven't bought it yet. I'm stressed over this purchase. Did a title history check, and it spent the first 3 years of it's life (95) as a leased vehicle, then came to TX as a regular lien. It's a 95, has 26K on it. Runs great, however, my mechanic says he's puzzled by the new spark plug wires (I just read elsewhere that the wires/plugs go out around 30K-60K-- all right, that's close...) plus the new tires. (But could that be an owner who wanted nice new tires?)
    Also, he says there's a misfire, which my friend also heard. He put it on the timing light, and confirmed it. Said he wouldn't buy it unless they fixed the idle. Of course the dealer says his mechanics checked it over and they didn't hear any misfire. A Mazda repair shop guy told me if the engine light wasn't on, then there are no misfire codes going into the computer, and if there was a misfire, the car would be driving badly. They're asking $11999. Any suggestions? My mechanic said he was afraid the misfire could be a sign of more serious problems...
    Thanks!!!
    OEM plug wires on the Miatas are notorious for breaking down early and causing misfires. New wires should have fixed it (maybe it is time for new plugs too).
    Apart from the misfire, is there anything else wrong with the car? Oil leaks? (older Miatas have a tendency to have oil leaks at cam cover gasket and cam sensor O-ring, both easy cheap fixes. But if there are other leaks, you gotta be weary about it)
    Any signs of accidents and body work?
    and remember to check out www.miata.net on tips on buying a used Miata.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Sounds like your mechanic is more nervous than you are.

Your mechanic's job is to identify defects with the car, not to tell you whether to buy it or not. That's for you to decide, once you have the facts.If he can't isolate the problem, I frankly don't see how he can fix your car in the future. I also never heard of diagnosing a misfire with a timing light, so that's kind of puzzling.

Take it somewhere else and let's start again here.
    A misfire will show on a scope---if it does, then tell the dealer to fix the car prior to sale...end of story!
    Plug wires are fine. You didn't say what kind of tires are on the car now -- if they're performance tires, real sticky, that may explain it. I buy tires that need replacing due to my great joy in cornering about every 30 k.

But you need to have the miss thing figured out to your satisfaction. You could give your mechanic a few bucks to have him track down the problem, but he may not be the best one to ask about a Miata since he didn't know about the plugwire issue and is trying to track down a misfire with a timing light (Maybe it's something I've missed but that sounds kind of weird). But if you're not comfortable, don't buy it. Miatas that have been WELL MAINTAINED easily pass 125 k before needing serious attention, but theyr'e not bullet proof. And for what you're paying, a reasonable price, there are lots of good ones around.

TAke care.
    Joe W.
  • willie77willie77 Member Posts: 1
    I would appreciate any comments, recommendations, etc. on putting anti-theft on a Miata. My wife is (naturally) concerned for the well-being of her 2000SE and wants to have one installed. The aftermarket system she had on her Honda was a Lo-Jack (I think; she bought it used), and I hated it. I was thinking about a system where the police could locate the car by an installed radio or GPS transmitter. Any thoughts?
    I have yet to meet a single person who has had their car stolen. Broken into, yes - but never stolen. I guess it depends on the area you live in as much as anything.
    My version of anti-theft: leave nothing valuable or irreplacable in the car, and insure it.
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    Freddy has good advice, but if you want an alarm anyway (and there's nothing wrong with that) I would recommend Alpine. Their dual-zone radar is quite smart and works well in a roadster.

The most important thing is to have a compentent shop install it. If you have any misgivings about their service at all, leave and find another one. Don't let amateurs monkey around with your car.

-Colin
    Any skilled thief who wants your car will take it one way or the other...flatbed truck, gunpoint. Forget about anti-theft...it's really a myth unless the car is kept behind bars.

However, break-ins are an issue...stereos, air bags, stuff in the trunk, are all fair targets. I also have a convertible and I leave it open most of the time...I think in ten years with 4 different convertibles I've only lost one flashlight and about .78 cents in change.
    I asked my friend about the timing light, and he said it would show an electrical misfire... ?
    Anyway, the Mazda guys that looked at it didn't hear a misfire either, and thought maybe water got in somewhere from having the engine cleaned. They did find a problem with the check position sensor, and suggested the clutch slave cylinder be replaced.
    I decided to go ahead and pass this one up--it had been a leased vehicle in a previous life, hadn't been taken care of--the window in the softtop needed replacing, and there was a dent in the front bumper...and they are asking over the blue book value. I'll wait and find one that's been well taken care of...

thanks, y'all!
    Yvonne
    Have you looked at classifieds on www.miata.net?
    There are many for sale there, ranging from 90 to brand new 99. Look them up and maybe you can find one near where you live.
    Good choice! There is no lack of miatas out there, a little patience will get you a car you won't regret!
    yvonne, good decision. No need to get into that kind of thing at all.

williek, tell you wife that one of the reasons that her insurance is so (relatively) low is that Miatas have a low theft rate. That said, caution is always a good idea as everyone else has said. Mine has Lojack -- I've never used it. Not a complaint, believe me.

Take care.
    Joe W.
    A timing light can only measure one wire pulse at a time, so he'd have to clamp on each of the four wires one at a time and then hope to "see" a misfire with the light....a dubious form of diagnosis at best...
    He did clamp the timing light on each each wire one at a time, after he heard the misfire.

I passed up a second 95, which needed work done, and I'm down to looking at a 96 M Starlight Mica tomorrow. Has 51,500 miles, asking price is $12K. I'm hoping this looks better than the other two!!

Yvonne
    Oh, Thanks, karl1973, for the suggestion. That's where I went to find the 96 M!

Now I hope it turns out!

Yvonne
  • kahuna1kahuna1 Member Posts: 6
    This may sound strange, but it works. At any pet or KMart or Safeway etc., you can buy sticky paper rollers, about $3 which are used to remove lint-cathair and all sorts of *stuff* from your clothing-furniture-cloth car seats, and the cat.
    When one sheet no longer has any sticky area, you just rip it off, exposing a new one. Forget the sticky rollers that you wash off.
    I found this out while talking to a fellow with a $500,000 plus Dusenberg that was using one on his top during preparation for a concours. You KNOW that this guy would not use anything that would do any damage to the Dusey! So, I got one and it does work super. Just a pass over the top every other day and voila! Aloha
  • marciamarcia Member Posts: 2
    Just had to put my two cents worth in. I took delivery of a 2000 Evolution Orange LS loaded with everything you can put on one I think. Love this car the only problem I have is that I can't stop smiling when I drive it and my jaws are beginning to hurt. I traded in a 2000 Nissan Maxima with 4000 miles on it good car but not inspiring. Did I mention that I love this car? My wife even likes it and by the way we are not teeny boppers I am 65 and she is 73, did I mention that I love this car?
    By the way, how do you like the car?
  • marciamarcia Member Posts: 2
    I just noticed that my daughters name was on the post I just sent I am definitly not a Marcia.
  • abloom2abloom2 Member Posts: 2
    I live in Montreal, Canada and drive a silver '99.
    Three weeks ago, I happily took my baby out of winter storage and was fortunate enough to put the top down a few days later. Not bad for mid-March! This morning I woke up and looked outside and couldn't believe what I saw. Over a foot of snow! They are calling for 40 centimeters or about 15 inches. I grudgingly got into my winter vehicule (a Dodge Durango) which I absolutely hate. Fuel is very expensive here these days (about US$2/gal). It gets about 11 mpg. This made me realize how much I love my Miata. Great looks, great value and cheap on fuel. I hope it stops snowing real soon. I already miss my baby!
  • locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    re#102, not Marcia:

Apparently that means your daughter has been here first, and you should disable the autologin. Navigate the left hand menu under Edit My Profile and then Disable Autologin.

Congrats on the new Miata.

-Colin
  • glengleglengle Member Posts: 57
    Hello everyone (and Shifty). I'm drifting over here after selling my S2000 in December (long story, loved the car though). At any rate, I'm in the market for another roadster, and would like to try on a 2000 SE for size. My questions are:

Does the 6th gear give it legs for highway driving? I had a 90 Mariner blue that buzzed on the freeway, while my S2K loafed at 75 mph. Could any 2KSE or 10AE owners provide their opinions here?

Does the $1500 incentive apply to the SE, or is it for the other models only. I would assume it spans all of the lines. Also, when does this expire? I've seen conflicting dates.

Can you get the low financing and incentive, or is it a "one or the other" deal?

Finally, how do you all like your 99 and up Miatae? I loved my 90, and this car is definitely a mature and refined version of the original from what I've seen.

Thanks, and sorry for the novel. I hope to be back among the flock soon. :o)

Greg