Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Monthly Update for March 2018 - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Edmunds.comEdmunds.com Member, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 10,315
edited April 2018 in Tesla

imageMonthly Update for March 2018 - 2017 Tesla Model 3 Long-Term Road Test

Warranty repairs, service bulletins, software updates and oddly complex tire removals were all a part of the month of March for our 2017 Tesla Model 3.

Read the full story here

Comments

• throwbackthrowback Member Posts: 445
    Reading all of these issues for a car with less than 4K on clock, reminds me of my sisters 1st gen Chrysler minivan. That thing was so unreliable she never bought another chrysler product.
  • sneddrensneddren Member Posts: 14
    I wonder when the drive unit will be replaced on this one...
  • gslippygslippy Member Posts: 514
    Glad I cancelled; I don't want to be a beta tester.
  • morrisg2morrisg2 Member Posts: 12
    Care to share with us the actual weights of the 18 inch and 19 inch wheels? Thanks.
    Just got back from our electric car club meeting. One person has a new Model 3 with about 3,000 miles on it and his lifetime average is 227 watt-hrs/mile or 22.7 kw-hrs/100 miles. Another person has only about 190 miles on his car and is averaging 245 watt-hrs/mile or 24.5 kw-hrs/100 miles. So, as the saying goes, Your Mileage May Vary.
    I took a rear wheel off my Model 3 and weighed the 18 inch Primacy MXM OEM combo: 47.5 lbs. Michelin gives the production weight of the tire as 25.22 lbs. Since I had about 1000 miles on the tires, let's deduct 0.12 lbs, which gives the rim weight as 22.4 lbs for an 18 x 8.5 rim with ET40 offset. Just in case anyone was wondering. ;<)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,702
    morrisg2 said:

I took a rear wheel off my Model 3 and weighed the 18 inch Primacy MXM OEM combo: 47.5 lbs. Michelin gives the production weight of the tire as 25.22 lbs. Since I had about 1000 miles on the tires, let's deduct 0.12 lbs, which gives the rim weight as 22.4 lbs for an 18 x 8.5 rim with ET40 offset. Just in case anyone was wondering. ;<)</p>

What about wheel weights for balancing? ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• israndyisrandy Member Posts: 2
    Yay! Jonathan finally had something positive to say about the car, geez. You would think getting this car in the first week of the second month they were available, one of the first Model 3's on the planet, people wouldn't expect perfection. Got mine in March and it has been excellent, nary a flaw. I imagine those getting cars now in July read these articles and don't even recognize the car you are describing.