Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    Another M-B 600 on BaT today, they're coming out of the woodwork it seems.

Better bring a truckload of cash for this one though.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-mercedes-benz-600/

PS: The video is worth watching.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

Values on the 2+2 are going DOWN, at least 8% this year alone.

Keep in mind, that the 2+2 is the very cheapest way into any Series One E-Type, and they often came with automatics, so for the older buyer who always wanted an E-Type, this is a way in.

If this were a Series Two E-Type 2+2, the value would be more like you remember.

Had to make sure I wasn't too crazy.
    Per Hagerty's history of the E-type pricing, the 2+2 S1 was down in the mid $30s for a #2 car back in '09-'10. Now, they are in the mid $60s (like you said). 100% increase in less than a decade is pretty strong. Guess I should have found a way to buy one way back when. ha.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited May 2018
    texases said:

Is the 4.2 much of a deduct?

4.2 beats a 3.8 except for early "flat floor" 3.8s, so 1961/1962s--in that particular case, 3.8s beat 4.2s.

Series 1 beats all Series II and Series II beats Series III V-12s, except Series III V-12 convertibles edge out Series II 4.2s convertible. But Series II 4.2 coupes beat out Series III V-12 coupes.

GOT THAT? There will be a quiz later today. B)
    edited May 2018
    ab348 said:

Another M-B 600 on BaT today, they're coming out of the woodwork it seems.

Better bring a truckload of cash for this one though.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1966-mercedes-benz-600/

PS: The video is worth watching.

Well they sure treated it like crap. I don't know that you could come out ahead on this even if someone gave it to you for free. I doubt it. Maybe. Probably not. Well, possibly, if you found $50,000 in cash in the trunk.

Parts would be quite valuable, in theory, although it looks like elves took a hammer, knife or Rust-Ray to every square inch of this poor creature.

Nice damp garage, leave the windows open. Perfect.

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Kind of speaks to the reality of the era. Such a car was exotic, but not insanely expensive, and they depreciated fast, so they were within reach of the middle class at the zenith of its purchasing power. That might lead to period correct modifications considered sacrilege now.
    texases said:
    The interior patina is as alarming as the exterior issues. I'd rather have the red car featured a couple weeks ago.

Well they sure treated it like crap. I don't know that you could come out ahead on this even if someone gave it to you for free. I doubt it. Maybe. Probably not. Well, possibly, if you found $50,000 in cash in the trunk.

Parts would be quite valuable, in theory, although it looks like elves took a hammer, knife or Rust-Ray to every square inch of this poor creature.

Nice damp garage, leave the windows open. Perfect.

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    Pretty cool looking car. Too bad back seat wasn't redone.
    https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/d/1957-buick-super-riviera/6591990578.html
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    Is the 4.2 much of a deduct?
    4.2 beats a 3.8 except for early "flat floor" 3.8s, so 1961/1962s--in that particular case, 3.8s beat 4.2s. Series 1 beats all Series II and Series II beats Series III V-12s, except Series III V-12 convertibles edge out Series II 4.2s convertible. But Series II 4.2 coupes beat out Series III V-12 coupes. GOT THAT? There will be a quiz later today. B)
    I got 2 pair. Do I win?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

There's a whole lot of "pecking order" in classic cars, which every shopper should study up on.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    The Jag

Exterior color is a downer but I rather like the color of the interior

In the 80s, Long Island had ATVs (Auto Truck Van). I think that they did those sunroofs for $99 or 109 installed. I'm guilty of it once in an 89 Accord
    Yes, that interior would look outstanding with a paint like British Racing Green or a dark blue metallic.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Now you're talking British 60's!
    I think you could even get a Blue exterior with Red interior--which is nicer than it sounds.
    I like the very early E-Types spec'd with wide whites. Here's a 1961 car in blue:

edited May 2018
    This popped up on BaT a couple of days ago:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1985-gmc-caballero-2/

A very nice example, but perhaps it's greatest claim to fame is that it is being sold by its current owner, NASCAR on Fox anchor Mike Joy.

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I love those.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Never saw a XKE in that color, but I like it. Prefer a tan or beige interior though. Nice shot of the GMC as well.
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2018

1967 Oldsmobile Delmont 88. Clearly a fold on this one.....yikes. In the new movie on Chappaquiddick the car used in the film isn't quite correct. In the movie they use the 4-door hardtop without the B pillars in the middle.
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
  • benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited May 2018
    Here are some views of a 67 Olds 88.....

And here's a strange example that was almost showroom new with a bizarre story of ownership that's difficult to believe. 1st owner got sick the day he bought the car and never drove it again....? Car kept in temperature-controlled garage.

https://azure.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1967-OLDSMOBILE-88-4-DOOR-SEDAN-138582

It sold for 26k!

Here's a pic of the seemingly showroom new interior of that car....

Front view....

2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    Mike Joy's Caballero Amarillo (what a mouthful of a name) is a really nice example and I expect the final price to be pretty substantial. I was unaware that GM made those in Mexico back in the '80s. The one thing I find curious in looking at the listing pictures is behind the seat - there is carpeting on the back wall of the cab that seems to be randomly and loosely attached at the top edge with velcro, zip ties or some such which surely isn't factory.

Got the '68 Cutlass out of the garage, dusted off and on the road for its first shakedown cruise of the year today. Between crap weather and health issues for me, this year was the latest it has made its debut. Just an amazing car. After I hooked up the battery I was cranking it to build up some oil pressure before setting the choke and it started anyway! After a check of systems I took it out for a little over an hour. It was just fine and I was struck by how well it drove. Got the usual thumbs ups and shouts of ""Nice car!" as I drove it around town. Never gets old, especially when I pull alongside a modern tricked-out BMW coupe of some sort in traffic and nobody pays any attention to it. ;)

@ab348,
    Took my Mustang to work today for the first time this year.
    Although about 50(F) and too early for the sun, top down of course.
    Right foot, brake to gas, it still gets out of the hole really well. ;)
    Ride home was what I was waiting for and it was great.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    ab348 said:
    Got the '68 Cutlass out of the garage, dusted off and on the road for its first shakedown cruise of the year today. Between crap weather and health issues for me, this year was the latest it has made its debut. Just an amazing car. After I hooked up the battery I was cranking it to build up some oil pressure before setting the choke and it started anyway! After a check of systems I took it out for a little over an hour. It was just fine and I was struck by how well it drove. Got the usual thumbs ups and shouts of ""Nice car!" as I drove it around town. Never gets old, especially when I pull alongside a modern tricked-out BMW coupe of some sort in traffic and nobody pays any attention to it. ;)
    Super! New pics please.  

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,761
    Ugh. You guys are making me jealous now. I haven't even considered lighting up my old beast yet this year.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    @xwesx,
    Um, which one? You have a heard. :)
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    "You have a hoard."
    There. Fixed it for ya.

@xwesx,
    Um, which one? You have a heard. :)

Hahahahaha! So I've heard!!! :)

I'm speaking of the '69 C20, of course.... !

2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Speaking of royalty, I have always been surprised a member of American royalty (Kennedy) was driving something so normal in the Chappaquiddick incident.
    edited May 2018
    @xwesx,
    I thought my post was a little off, meant 'Herd' instead of 'Heard', but I guess you 'Heard' what I meant. :)
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Something seems very wrong here. Seems this car is underpriced by a lot but I can't find my latest Old Cars Price Guide. Very poor description, one photo. Gotta be a hoax!

The price didn't post. It's 13,500. No more details. It's either a non running POS or another hoax.
    Smells like a scam just by the pic
    I don't get it. What do people get out of posting scam ads? Life must be tough.
    Yeah, that's more like a $75,000 car.
    Here's a high rarity - I kind of like it. These were sold on this side of the pond for only a couple years

Seattle now has a JDM importer - I love the badges on this, for the funny font and funnier names

They have lots of oddball stuff, no doubt bought for nothing as this type of material is worth little in Japan

Lots of little vans, as expected - you can't go a block in Vancouver without seeing one of these

These have a cult behind them now, hence the price - I wonder if this place could find a 1994-ish diesel G wagen for me next year.
    Man, you would have to be the truest of true believers to drive some of that stuff, with RHD being only the smallest of all the potential irritants.

I think parts for much of the inventory won't be able to be found at the local AutoZone, and if you smash a fender on some of these cars, heaven help you.
    Now there's a niche market within another niche market!
    Long Island Craigs Memorial Day

https://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/cto/d/1987-jaguar-xjmiles/6574480021.html XJ6 project. Probably won't ever be worth that much but priced OK for a do it yourselfer

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/d/maserati/6595749930.html About that Maseratti

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1990-volvo-240-sedan-for-sale/6598036953.html Clean Volvo 240

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/cto/d/mazda-miata/6598017139.html Little track day car. You don't see too many Miatas with 131k on them

https://newyork.craigslist.org/stn/cto/d/2-corvairs-for-the-price-of/6587209833.html 2 Corvairs for the price of one

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/one-of-kind-50-year-old-neon/6598001752.html O Kaaayyyy This guy should go on pawn stars. I'd expect he is being optimistic here

https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/cto/d/1972-pontiac-lemans/6575465434.html Neighbors would hate me but I would have fun with this. Reminds me of the 80s when every block had something like this

https://newyork.craigslist.org/jsy/cto/d/1986-ford-ltd-crown-victoria/6570450122.html Kind of a time capsule for not much money

The Volvo and the Crown Vic look like the two to buy in that group. The Volvo in particular looks promising for little money.

@gsemike you have a very loose definition of "time capsule." ;b

I prettty much agree---the Volvo, the Crown Vic and possibly the Miata. The rest can just be bulldozed into landfill. I suppose someone might want the Masera....um....the Chrysler LeBaron, but they'll be sorry.
    The XJ6 ad is somewhat amusing: " Exhaust needs a little work and two electrical wires were chewed by mice." Hmm.... are those factory mice or aftermarket?
    Translation:

"Exhaust needs a little work" --- exhaust manifold cracked (they all do that), new header pipe, catalytic, rear resonator, tail pipe

"two electrical wires chewed by mice: -- I have no panel lights, no brake lights, no directionals, no heater blower motor, battery goes dead overnight.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    I’d give the Vic a shot. 86 was first year of multi port injection. New vinyl top and interior detail would do that car wonders.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    >> I have no panel lights, no brake lights, no directionals, no heater blower motor, battery goes dead overnight.

Ya, like a Jag needs mice for that...
    Lots o' trouble. The car has so many defects, one hardly knows where to start re-engineering one.
    qbrozen said:

@gsemike you have a very loose definition of "time capsule." ;b

I don't mean that it's like new, but just more so that these full size two doors are such a thing of the past and will never come back

Lots o' trouble. The car has so many defects, one hardly knows where to start re-engineering one.

Yeah, two chewed wires sounds like an easy enough fix so just do it and then sell
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    Jay Leno was driving an old Mustang on his TV show last night (many back to back episodes though, so not sure if current), but the Mustang kept being "finicky" and dying/stalling on him.

My wife asked if it was his or someone elses, at first I was like, "if it was his, it would be running", but then I remembered it is an old Ford... so anything goes.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion