Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Leasing questions

fogarty22fogarty22 Member Posts: 21
edited May 2018 in Subaru
Hi everyone,
I'm going for my second leased Subaru tomorrow, and I'm going with the Outback. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping the smart people here might be able to answer:
- Since I'm staying with the same dealership and even using the same salesman, I'm expecting to put nothing down, and to only pay some fees and perhaps a security deposit up front. Is this expectation realistic?

- I've used the leasing thread to get the residual and MF, and honestly I found like the monthly was high (similar trim as my 2015 Forester for $50 more per month). Are there incremental differences in MF and residual data based on minor trim changes? For instance, I'm looking at the Outback with this trim: 2.5i Limited with EyeSight, Navigation, High Beam Assist, Reverse Auto Braking, LED Headlights, Steering Responsive Headlights, and Starlink

Would the residual and MF be different for the less equipped model?

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    fogarty22 said:

Hi everyone,
    I'm going for my second leased Subaru tomorrow, and I'm going with the Outback. I have a couple of questions I'm hoping the smart people here might be able to answer:
    - Since I'm staying with the same dealership and even using the same salesman, I'm expecting to put nothing down, and to only pay some fees and perhaps a security deposit up front. Is this expectation realistic?

- I've used the leasing thread to get the residual and MF, and honestly I found like the monthly was high (similar trim as my 2015 Forester for $50 more per month). Are there incremental differences in MF and residual data based on minor trim changes? For instance, I'm looking at the Outback with this trim: 2.5i Limited with EyeSight, Navigation, High Beam Assist, Reverse Auto Braking, LED Headlights, Steering Responsive Headlights, and Starlink

Thanks for your help.

Your previous relationship with the dealer has nothing to do with how the lease is structured.
    You structure it the way you want it.

The Limited trim has as good a program as any of the other trims.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fogarty22fogarty22 Member Posts: 21
    kyfdx said:

fogarty22 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help.

Your previous relationship with the dealer has nothing to do with how the lease is structured.

Yes, I do understand that the salesman won't dictate how the lease is structured. I've been led to believe my other people who lease that you generally get more favorable terms as a returning customer. Perhaps that's not true. My question is more about how likely it is that someone with excellent credit put nothing down. Based on how it changes my monthly number, I might choose to put $1500 or $2000 down, but I'm not sure yet.

I don't understand the second part of the answer. Does that mean that the MF and residual are the same for all Outback 2.5i Limiteds?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    edited May 2018
    fogarty22 said:

kyfdx said:

fogarty22 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help.

Yes, I do understand that the salesman won't dictate how the lease is structured. I've been led to believe my other people who lease that you generally get more favorable terms as a returning customer. Perhaps that's not true. My question is more about how likely it is that someone with excellent credit put nothing down. Based on how it changes my monthly number, I might choose to put $1500 or $2000 down, but I'm not sure yet.

I don't understand the second part of the answer. Does that mean that the MF and residual are the same for all Outback 2.5i Limiteds?
    Yes.. all Limiteds will have the same residual percentage and money factor.

IMO, the more you feel comfortable that the dealership will give you favorable treatment, the less likely they are to do that. If you have an "in". (my neighbor knows the GM, etc), then you are really in trouble.. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• fogarty22fogarty22 Member Posts: 21
    kyfdx said:

fogarty22 said:

kyfdx said:

fogarty22 said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your help.

Yes.. all Limiteds will have the same residual percentage and money factor.

IMO, the more you feel comfortable that the dealership will give you favorable treatment, the less likely they are to do that. If you have an "in". (my neighbor knows the GM, etc), then you are really in trouble.. ;)
    That's great feedback, thank you! I like the dealership, but I'll be on high alert.