Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Will be out of warranty due to excess lease mileage. Any options?

georgiagirl13georgiagirl13 Member Posts: 24
edited September 2018 in BMW
Not sure where I should post this question so if there is a better place to ask please let me know.....

I'm currently in a lease on a BMW 2016 X3, 36 month/15k. I still have 4 remaining months on my lease and I'm already over the alotted 45k miles. My question is what options do I have related to extending the warranty on the vehicle (as I will soon reach the 50k mile warranty limit). Can an extended warranty be purchased on a lease?

I'm mainly concerned because a few weeks ago I got a "drivetrain malfunction" message and the vehicle basically shut down and slowed to 20 mph max. I had to get towed to the dealership where it was determined that it was a "glitch or misfire" and they found nothing wrong. They reset the function, test drove it and sent me on my way. So now I have a fear that it will happen again and this time an actual issue may be revealed and I also may be out of warranty due to my mileage.

I'm currently exploring getting out of the lease early and into a new X3 but so far no success as the quotes I received thus far in Georgia have been insane due to a marked up MF and the addition of the remaining lease payments being added back into the new lease.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,321

Not sure where I should post this question so if there is a better place to ask please let me know.....

I'm currently in a lease on a BMW 2016 X3, 36 month/15k. I still have 4 remaining months on my lease and I'm already over the alotted 45k miles. My question is what options do I have related to extending the warranty on the vehicle (as I will soon reach the 50k mile warranty limit). Can an extended warranty be purchased on a lease?

I'm mainly concerned because a few weeks ago I got a "drivetrain malfunction" message and the vehicle basically shut down and slowed to 20 mph max. I had to get towed to the dealership where it was determined that it was a "glitch or misfire" and they found nothing wrong. They reset the function, test drove it and sent me on my way. So now I have a fear that it will happen again and this time an actual issue may be revealed and I also may be out of warranty due to my mileage.

I'm currently exploring getting out of the lease early and into a new X3 but so far no success as the quotes I received thus far in Georgia have been insane due to a marked up MF and the addition of the remaining lease payments being added back into the new lease.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance

Shop more dealers to get a better deal. If not, just ride it out.

Driving for four months without warranty isn't the end of the world. We drove our 2011 from 50K to 94K miles with only one warranty repair.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Thanks for your advice. It's true, it's not the end of the world but I guess that drivetrain malfunction issue recently scared me into thinking something serious could manifest in the next few weeks or months.

I've tried my hardest to get the base MF but it's proving impossible. So far I've tried 4 dealerships. I think there's only 1 left in the Atlanta surrounding areas. They are all sticking with .00206 no matter how hard I try.
  • Options

Thanks for your advice. It's true, it's not the end of the world but I guess that drivetrain malfunction issue recently scared me into thinking something serious could manifest in the next few weeks or months.

I've tried my hardest to get the base MF but it's proving impossible. So far I've tried 4 dealerships. I think there's only 1 left in the Atlanta surrounding areas. They are all sticking with .00206 no matter how hard I try.

Have you been to Gwinnett Place BMW?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes, I have. Here is what they gave me for 2019 X3 36/15k. He said this also included the $2400 that they would have to pay off on the current lease that I'm in. I just feel like with $3,000 down this monthly payment should be lower especially because of the marked up MF.

MSRP: $48,645
    Discount: $3,040.42
    Sales Price: $45,604.58
    Customer Cash: $3,000
    Total Rebates: $1,500
    Total Cash & Rebates: $4,500
    Doc Fee: $699
    Advanced Payments: $649.23
    Upfront Charges: $794
    Total Cap Reduction: $3,056.77
    Due on Delivery: $3,000
    Money Factor: .00206
    Residual: $27,241.20
    Monthly Payment: $649.23
  • Options

Yes, I have. Here is what they gave me for 2019 X3 36/15k. He said this also included the $2400 that they would have to pay off on the current lease that I'm in. I just feel like with $3,000 down this monthly payment should be lower especially because of the marked up MF.

MSRP: $48,645
    Discount: $3,040.42
    Sales Price: $45,604.58
    Customer Cash: $3,000
    Total Rebates: $1,500
    Total Cash & Rebates: $4,500
    Doc Fee: $699
    Advanced Payments: $649.23
    Upfront Charges: $794
    Total Cap Reduction: $3,056.77
    Due on Delivery: $3,000
    Money Factor: .00206
    Residual: $27,241.20
    Monthly Payment: $649.23

It's just not worth doing, considering the the $2400 you have to eat.
    Another $500 off and the base money factor would bring you down near $600/mo. But, that doesn't change the facts. You are paying $70/mo. on your new lease, to get out of the old one.

The finance manager at Gwinnett is Adrian Avila. He is well-known on the interweb, and is a straight shooter. It might be worth a direct call (or an email). Just tell him that he comes highly recommended and you wonder if he can do any better than the quote they've already given you.

It might not help, but he'll be honest and forthright.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Great! Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it. I'll reach out to Adrian today.