Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Silverado 1500 Overheating Issue

shadetree63shadetree63 Member Posts: 1
edited June 2014 in Chevrolet

I have a 2006 Pickup, 5.3L with an overheating issue. Initially, the overheating was intermittent, so i figured it was a thermostat (sticking at times). I replaced the thermostat and the problem still persisted, and actually the engine seemed to be overheating more frequently. I then changed the water pump (the old pump was not leaking coolant) and the engine is still overheating. The engine overheats very quickly (within a few minutes) and the coolant boils in the over-flow reservior.

IMO is seems like the coolant isn't even circulating through the engine. I am at a loss as to what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the coolant in the reservoir is very clean, so I assume the radiator is as well. This vehicle has never had any radiator damage or had the unit flushed.

Thanks

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481

From your symptoms, I would have to strongly suspect a head gasket or cracked cylinder head issue, because of how quickly the engine overheats. This suggests to me that the coolant is being boiled by ADDED heat, not just normal engine operation.

You can test for a bad head gasket by using a coolant pressure pump. You pump it up to a few pounds more than your radiator cap pressure reading, and while holding pressure in the system, extract the spark plugs one by one and look for coolant on them.

You can also look for water/oil goop on the end of the oil dipstick, but that's often not an accurate test.

Another good test that requires some special equipment is a cylinder leakdown test, where air pressure is injected into the cylinder.

Overheating can sometimes be very tricky to diagnose. It's actually part of a rather complex system of interdependent parts, so it might take a while to narrow it down.

but you either have a bad head gasket or a massive blockage in the water galleys somewhere in there.

@shadetree63 said:
    I have a 2006 Pickup, 5.3L with an overheating issue. Initially, the overheating was intermittent, so i figured it was a thermostat (sticking at times). I replaced the thermostat and the problem still persisted, and actually the engine seemed to be overheating more frequently. I then changed the water pump (the old pump was not leaking coolant) and the engine is still overheating. The engine overheats very quickly (within a few minutes) and the coolant boils in the over-flow reservior.

IMO is seems like the coolant isn't even circulating through the engine. I am at a loss as to what the problem could be? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, the coolant in the reservoir is very clean, so I assume the radiator is as well. This vehicle has never had any radiator damage or had the unit flushed.

Thanks

• lugnuts3lugnuts3 Member Posts: 10
    How many miles are on it? And i would check your freeze plugs on there,they have a tendency to busy after awhile,and if isnt that,then its more then likely a head gasket,if you notice your loosing oil,or your oil is very fluid like and has a coolant like smell then theres your culprit,hope i helped!
    Bust.^^ not busy.sorry lol
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    edited July 2014

Ah, chat typos. We're all pretty fluent in those nowadays. :) You do have 4 hours to edit your posts here.

Im really new to this site lol thanks for the tip though
  • mcoop360mcoop360 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 1995 chevy 1500 w/t with a 4.3 vortec moter has recently started overheating i have replaced the water pump and the and replaced the thermastat 3 times so now i just took it out and my mechanical temp guage want go over 130 any ideas would be very helpful
  • curts03curts03 Member Posts: 2
    I don't understand?. I have a 03 Yukon with a 5.3 and about 162000 on it. I have a overheating problem BUT it's a little different than normal I think. I had it scanned and it came back it was the temp sensor so I changed it and it was OK for a few days then back to the same ol stuff so I think anybody can get a bad one so I change it again and after a few days yup were at the same problem so I went and changed the thermostat just on the out side chance it could be that. All new antifreeze and the old looked good too. You can start it up from cold and drive it for 3 blocks and the bells and dash read out goes NUTS. Dash says overheating and reduced power along with the gauge being pegged all the way to the right. I can watch the system go from that to normal and back again in a second. I'm hoping it's something I can fix here at the house. I'm thinking it's the ECM failing. Oil is good(no discolor) and no steam out the tail pipe. It runs great when it runs without the problem coming up. Thank's for ANY ideas I know it makes no sense.
  • curts03curts03 Member Posts: 2
    Same problem (forgot to include) It does clear up at times and run great but not for long and the change oil comes up on the dash so I reset it and about 3 or 4 starts later it comes on again. I have unhooked the negative cable over night and it doesn't help.
  • justin442justin442 Member Posts: 1
    What was the problem with your truck?
  • freewayfreeway Member Posts: 2

Thanks

• freewayfreeway Member Posts: 2
    same problem