Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Transmission kicks back a bit going into 2nd gear

hewittj23hewittj23 Member Posts: 4
edited December 2018 in Dodge
Got a 2004 dodge Dakota 4wd 4.7 liter where the transmission kicks back alittle going into 2nd gear. Just changed fluid and filters on it today and even put in Lucas trans fluid in as well. Need to know what it could be? It did get better but still does it from time to time. I would say more on a little higher rpm. Help please!! I’m a mechanic myself buts it’s driving me crazy. No codes either. Suggestions please!

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    edited December 2018
    What do you mean "kicks back"? You mean a clunk, or an actual "miss", like an engine stutter, or a forced downshift, or ?
  • Options
    More like when it’s about to shift its almost like the rpms come down. Kinda like a delay hard shift I guess. Does once in awhile better after warm up but still there. 
  • Options
    Do you know which transmission you have in that truck? Is it a 45FE or ???
  • Options
    I have a 5 speed trans. So it’s 545 one 
  • Options
    What kind of scan tool were you using? Have you tried another type of scanner? There should be codes stored in the TCM. If not, perhaps the only thing you can do is test the shifting solenoids with an ohm meter.
  • Options
    Ok will do gonna feel it out for a week and see what it does cause I serviced it and it got better. Wasn’t driven for awhile cause I put a brand new engine in it too. I’ll see what it does. Thank you for the sugg