Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Transmission won’t shift into overdrive

ROTRROTR Member Posts: 1
edited December 2018 in Dodge
I have a 96 Dodge Dakota SLT magnum 4x4 5.2 with engine swap to 5.9 with a 46RE transmission. I replaced the pressure governor, shift solenoid harness, and torque converter clutch circuit with new fluid filter and gasket. The truck acts to stall out in first and second when accelerating slowly but taking off normally starts the stall out second and third but won’t go into overdrive. My code reader is throwing P0783 - (3-4) shift, but now I’m lost because that should’ve been fixed after replacing the pressure governor solenoid..? Could anyone give me advice on what I should do next? id be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    This is a generic code and it could relate to quite a few things. Are there any other codes? It also sounds like the engine isn't running right, and this could throw off the computer's calculations for determining which gear you are supposed to be in, in relation to speed and load.