Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Suzuki XL-7 Steering noise

mgtc4766mgtc4766 Member Posts: 1
On my xl-7 upon turning left it makes a poppping noise, its real bad at complete stops,its almost like a cv axle noise. Ive taken it to the dealer at least 8 times and they replaced struts , but it still makes this noise.I also called the main Suzuki customer office and complained.They told me its just one of the characteristics of the new Xl7 . Any ideas???

Comments

• Options
    ahmed2ahmed2 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    My 2007 Suzuki XL7 is as bad as yours. It bothers me so much that I have the radio on loud enough not to hear it.
  • Options
    dws2kdws2k Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2004 Suzuki XL. When we start the truck, it revs up really high and loud. What could this be?
  • Options
    gummy1gummy1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi
    I am currently a student at NDSCS in the Auto mechanic program i brought my Suzuki XL-7 which is a 2007 with a noise in the front left of the car. So i brought it in to the shop so i can take a look at it with my teacher which is good at steering and suspension and he also has his ASE for this. Back to my point we found nothing wrong with the front end but it is still making the noise. It gets really bad when its really cold out. I think its a CV joint because they are cheaply made. anyone have any other IDEAS???
  • Options
    vanbcvanbc Member Posts: 2
    Noise will be from the sway bar being out of position. The collars that secure the stabilizer bar centered will break free, allowing the sway bar to shift to either side, allowing the control arms to contact the stabilizer bar at full turn. Very tough to see if your not directly underneath.
  • Options
    youWantItWhenyouWantItWhen Member Posts: 3
    One possibility is that 4-wheel drive is not completely disengaging. This will cause all kinds of havoc on anything but snow. These new XL7's are just re-badged Chevy's so it won't hurt to check out the Chevy truck forums also.

Second, if 4WD is definitely disengaged, it could be one or both ends of the front anti-roll bar are broken loose. Earlier Suzukis used a very light-weight fastening system and the bolts break off easily. My muffler shop broke them off several times before figuring out what it was and how to lift the car without touching them. It's possible that Chevy copied the same weakness.

Third, it still could be the CV joint and I am not sure why the dealer thought changing the strut would fix that. It won't.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    That's a good suggestion---checking the sway bar bushings.