Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

General question on Volvo S60 -

mark_wnymark_wny Member Posts: 70
edited January 2019 in Volvo
Have be thinking of 'stepping up' to S60 from Accord. Here's the rub: 1) Volvo sells very few of these in the US - less than a thousand a month. The competition (MB C Class, BMW 3, Audi A4, Acura TLX, VW Passat SE, Buick Regal) all beat it by a mile, sales-wise. 2) The resale value drops like a stone. After 3 years - or even 2 - it's a bargain basement blow-out. What gives? It's a lovely car with great reviews - but it's not a success here. Any insight from forum members?

Answers

• Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I've posted a link to this question from other forums topics so you should be getting some opinions shortly. Good question! As a Volvo owner myself, I have my two cents to throw in, but I think I'll wait to hear from others.
  • Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,396
    I think part of what really hurt the S60 is that it was viewed as a bit of a jack of all trades but master of none, at least in the previous generation body style. Until the new model was released this year, the body was largely the same as when it came out 7 years ago. The performance was adequate but nothing to write home about unless you really forked over for the Polestar edition cars. And it was expensive.

I think the new S60 is phenomenal and will do quite well.
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    Priced too high for what it is and where they stand in the public eye. TLX starts $3k cheaper and has a better rep, for example. They like to think and talk like they compete with the Germans, but they don't. Meanwhile, the Japanese luxo marques, volvo's real competition, have legions of fans from their lesser brands, honda, toyota, and nissan, feeding into their customer base. Volvo is a small island in the middle of nowhere.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    chris_r_17chris_r_17 Member Posts: 2
    qbrozen said:

Priced too high for what it is and where they stand in the public eye. TLX starts $3k cheaper and has a better rep, for example. They like to think and talk like they compete with the Germans, but they don't. Meanwhile, the Japanese luxo marques, volvo's real competition, have legions of fans from their lesser brands, honda, toyota, and nissan, feeding into their customer base. Volvo is a small island in the middle of nowhere.

Loved a TLX until I got to that stupid push button shifter.