Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 Traverse stalls at stops

LindenLinden Member Posts: 5
edited February 2019 in Chevrolet
I have a 2013 Traverse, purchased 5 months ago, 89k miles, current 95k. On 700 mile trip this past weekend my Car upon arriving at destination started to stall when stopping completely, rolling stops ok. this problem continues now that i am home. I find if i shift to neutral before i come to complete stop, car does not stall. I can then shift back to D with no stall. Only time engine stalls is complete stop with trans in D, then only 50% of time.
I did start trip w full tank never got below half tank, only filled up at BP and Shell stations. I have added a fuel injector cleaner today. I checked trans fluid, was 1/2 qt low, added fluid and issue got a little better, only stalls 25-35% of stops. Battery and charging system checked out OK. Car is throwing no codes, only a dash message that reads 'check battery charging system'. That message flashes on for a few seconds and goes away, car always starts right back up.
Any one have any ideas. Wish engine or system was throwing out a code, but nothing.

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It sounds like the idle speed is too low, or erratic, or perhaps there is a heavier than usual draw on the alternator. There are lots of possibilities here, but I think, based on the symptoms you've described, I would check for vacuum leaks in hoses or in the manifold, also check the charging system for excessive draw on the alternator, also perhaps the power steering fluid level. The Idle Air Control valve is also suspect.

• LindenLinden Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the feedback, I'll take all in consideration. I'll give update when I get a fix.
    Well I took your advice, and checked for vacuum leaks, just visual, made sure all connections were good. I also checked power steering fluid. PS was a little low, added a couple ounces ..... Stalls are no longer a problem. I did this on Thursday morning, I live in Chicago area, we had nice high pressure weather on Thur and Fri, I wanted to wait and post til today. Sat and Sun we had nasty low pressure wet cool weekend, wanted to make sure I made through a cool damp weather pattern... Traverse is running fine.
    I posted same post on another site, response from there was it could be the TCC, I googled and researched bad TCC symptoms, and that could be the problem GM seems to notorious for that.. If this starts happening again that may be the problem. I'll continue to check my trans fluid and PS fluid....
    Speaking of PS fluid... What is the correlation there??? Would have never thought that, I appreciate your response. Thank you, Thank you!!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Well as you say, this may or may not be related, but increased friction in the pump could cause an unusual power pull on the engine. The TCC is a possibility, but usually this throws a code.

Here's a TUTORIAL on the TCC. It doesn't sound like your problem, based on the symptoms you mentioned. I would have expected more irregularity in how the transmission behaves.
    Thank you. Great information. If I have recurring problems I will continue post.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    edited February 2019
    Linden said:

I have a 2013 Traverse, purchased 5 months ago, 89k miles, current 95k. On 700 mile trip this past weekend my Car upon arriving at destination started to stall when stopping completely, rolling stops ok. this problem continues now that i am home. I find if i shift to neutral before i come to complete stop, car does not stall. I can then shift back to D with no stall. Only time engine stalls is complete stop with trans in D, then only 50% of time.

I searched around and found a few posts about the variable valve timing cam activator being bad OR clogged by dirt in oil.

Since you just purchased it, you don't know the history of oil changes nor the type of oil used (should have met Dexos 1 ratings). Dirt and gunk in the oil can affect the actuators. At lower engine speed the oil pressure is lower and might drop the pressure of the oil for the activator.

Do you know what oil is in it now? The approved Dexos oil? Is it the right weight oil?

How does it look at how many miles. A couple of frequent synthetic Dexos oil changes might clean gunk out of actuators. I'd try 2000 to 3000 miles for first.

IF I read the rockauto right and the posts right, there are two, for intake and for exhaust. Relatively cheap for part cost at $31 to $40 ea. for the parts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+do+the+camshaft+actuators+work+on+gm+3.6+engine?&oq=how+do+the+camshaft+actuators+work+on+gm+3.6+engine?&aqs=chrome..69i57.11652j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

A Mass Air Flow sensor might be a problem. If you're handy, you might remove and clean with a MAF spray to clean off the dirt particles on the fine, delicate wires.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,146
    How was battery and charging tested? I'd suspect if something is allowing the idle speed to drop too low, the output from alternator drops and the system says to itself, "I have a low voltage problem. Turn on warning message."

When you say that no warning codes were sent, was that checked with a good code reader tool such as a box store might use?

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• JaredSJaredS Member Posts: 1
    Linden said:

Well I took your advice, and checked for vacuum leaks, just visual, made sure all connections were good. I also checked power steering fluid. PS was a little low, added a couple ounces ..... Stalls are no longer a problem. I did this on Thursday morning, I live in Chicago area, we had nice high pressure weather on Thur and Fri, I wanted to wait and post til today. Sat and Sun we had nasty low pressure wet cool weekend, wanted to make sure I made through a cool damp weather pattern... Traverse is running fine.
    I posted same post on another site, response from there was it could be the TCC, I googled and researched bad TCC symptoms, and that could be the problem GM seems to notorious for that.. If this starts happening again that may be the problem. I'll continue to check my trans fluid and PS fluid....
    Speaking of PS fluid... What is the correlation there??? Would have never thought that, I appreciate your response. Thank you, Thank you!!

I know it has been a couple of years, but do you still have the car, was this issue resolved? 2013 Acadia Denali with the identical issue (I will add, only after coming up to temperature, tried it with and without A/C on, no difference, with wheel straight and fully cranked, no difference) I will check the PS fluid because there is never a reason NOT to check fluids, but I cannot imagine that's what it was. Thanks!
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Every car that presents a problem like this needs to be analyzed to figure out what is going on. While it "could be" similar it definitely doesn't have to be and often isn't the same problem that someone else had no matter how similar the symptom appears to be. Only after it has been diagnosed is it appropriate to see if what was going on with another car applies.

If you could post data such as fuel trim data, throttle position data both when it is working correctly as well as when it stalls we could start working towards a solution.
    Jared S...After my post in Feb. 2019 I never experienced the same or similar problems... Only work needed since was 17 months later July 2020 my AC compressor went out, October 2020 my alternator went out... These all could have been connected, original issue in Feb 2019 could have been the 1st condition that raised any flags.

thecardoc3... I do not have any of the data that you requested. I'm not a car guy, I'm just an internet searcher who likes to look for quick less expensive fixes, before handing my car off to professionals. But, they always seem to end up there, and I have a good, fair mechanic I use, who is worth every penny... But back in 02/2019 a little PS fluid fixed my issue for 17 months, then more issues started to creep in.