Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Has anyone had problems with premature rusting of rotors on the Sorento?

Mesaproca453Mesaproca453 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2019 in Kia
I have a 2018 Kia Sorento that has been sitting for 60 days on the dealer lot waiting for repairs. I was just called by the Dealer stating since my car has been sitting for so long (60 days). That all 4 rotors need to be replaced due to excessive rust. I find this a problem since it is about an $800.00 repair and none of my other vehicles have ever experienced this problem.

This means every time I go to Florida or somewhere else for a 60-day vacation I can expect to replace the rotors. It seems strange that 2 60 day vacations will add an extra $1,600.00 to my yearly maintenance cost.
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Cars that sit around for 60 days will develop rust on the rotors. Heck, my brand new 2019 that I bought 3 weeks ago had a LOT of rust on the rotors from the weeks it had been sitting on the lot. I guess the question is when does that rust become excessive to the point where rotors have to be replaced? Not hard to imagine that rotors show rust when sitting for 60 days, but unless there are some really unusual conditions, or previous wear/damage on the rotors created a condition where replacement is required, I can't imagine that the rust buildup from non-use by itself would lead to replacement.

We need some more opinions I think
  • Options
    Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'm with Flyer here. All you have to do, after the car is running, is to drive it for an hour or so and then look at the rotors. I'll be you that they will be smooth, rust-free and shiny again.

I don't know the dealer's motives here--maybe he's just sweating the legal liabilities of not telling you what he thinks about the brakes.

Brake rotors are made of tough, hard material!

Sounds like what you have here is what we call "flash rust", aka surface rust.