Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Real-World Trade-In Values

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    What model is it? C? E? GLC?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• MrHarris183MrHarris183 Member Posts: 30
    GLC.
    It's a 2017 Benz GLC 300 AWD 4 Matic. CPO
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    Interested  in a vehicle. It's a 2017 Benz in Omaha Nebraska. My Zip is 68147. Credit score between 720-50. MSRP $37988. Selling at $36973. Comes with 18k miles. The on-site payment calculator is figured with my down payment of 6% ($2200 down) over 72 months, with $556/month before additional taxes. Vin #WDC0G4KB2HF191909

I didn't see the point in dropping a large sum for a down payment. No trade-in. But what sort of wiggle room could I negotiate here?

They paid $31,750 on 4/30 at the Milwaukee auction. 

It is not an unreasonable ask for CPO. But, here’s the thing... as a normal retail vehicle, I’d suggest $35k TOPS for it. How much is that 1 extra year of warranty worth to you?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    Just as importantly, are you sure you want to make $556 payments on a nine-year-old vehicle with the reliability of a Chrysler, Mini, or Kia?
    qbrozen said:
    Interested  in a vehicle. It's a 2017 Benz in Omaha Nebraska. My Zip is 68147. Credit score between 720-50. MSRP $37988. Selling at $36973. Comes with 18k miles. The on-site payment calculator is figured with my down payment of 6% ($2200 down) over 72 months, with $556/month before additional taxes. Vin #WDC0G4KB2HF191909

I didn't see the point in dropping a large sum for a down payment. No trade-in. But what sort of wiggle room could I negotiate here?

It is not an unreasonable ask for CPO. But, here’s the thing... as a normal retail vehicle, I’d suggest $35k TOPS for it. How much is that 1 extra year of warranty worth to you?

I'd have to go back and check the info on the warranty. How long would you recommend me stretching the warranty? I probably wouldn't put more than 12k miles a year on it.
    The $35k tops is understandable!
    steine13 said:
    Just as importantly, are you sure you want to make $556 payments on a nine-year-old vehicle with the reliability of a Chrysler, Mini, or Kia?
    I didn't know that they were unreliable..😮
  • henrynhenryn Member Posts: 4,289
    edited May 2019

steine13 said:

-=-=-=-=-=-=- end quoted material=-=-=-=-=-=-==-=-

I don't know that they are particularly unreliable. But ... any 9 year old car is more likely to give you trouble than an average new car. And you should be able to get a better interest rate on a new car loan, and automatically have a 36/36 or better warranty.

$556 a month for 6 years, that means 5.5 years from now, you will have a 14 year old car and still be making payments of $556 a month. Have you really thought this through?

2023 Chevrolet Silverado, 2019 Chrysler Pacifica
  • tifightertifighter Member Posts: 3,591
    edited May 2019
    steine13 said:

I'd rank a Kia a level above the other two.

23 Civic Type-R / 22 MDX Type-S / 21 Tesla Y LR / 03 Montero Ltd

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    edited May 2019
    henryn said:

I don't know that they are particularly unreliable. But ... any 9 year old car is more likely to give you trouble than an average new car. And you should be able to get a better interest rate on a new car loan, and automatically have a 36/36 or better warranty.

$556 a month for 6 years, that means 5.5 years from now, you will have a 14 year old car and still be making payments of $556 a month. Have you really thought this through?

2017, so not quite *that* old, but point taken.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • breldbreld Member Posts: 6,698
    Well, I for one think it sounds like a good deal for a nice car, particularly if you can get them down closer to the $35k Q has suggested.  

Since when is buying a 2-3 year old luxury vehicle, CPO, for a reasonable $3-5k over auction values such a bad deal?  

2024 Audi Q8 e-tron - 2024 Corvette - 2024 BMW X5 - 2023 Tesla Model Y

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    What do people think what maintenance budget is reasonable?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    Hey @qbrozen.  I have a friend with 2 Honda Fit EXs that his restaurant uses for delivery, so mechanically they are in tip top shape.  Interiors have held up quite well.  Exteriors have his deli’s name plastered all over them.  

(1) 2015 Honda Fit EX - Black CVT - 101K miles

(2) 2016 Honda Fit EX - Black CVT - 86K miles

Dealer offered him $12K for both.  What do you think?

Location - Fairfield County, CT

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

>> Since when is buying a 2-3 year old luxury vehicle, CPO, for a reasonable $3-5k over auction values such a bad deal?

It isn't, and that isn't the problem. Stretching a substantial payment nearly to the vehicle's second decade -- that seems a little sketchy to me.

You see, @breld, when cars age, things wear out. Not something you're likely to have experienced ;)

It's clear that @MrHarris183 isn't a gear head. He's asking the right people, which is a smart move.

If payments until 2025 are a way to smooth out cash flow from some abundant source, great.

If it's a way to buy a car that's maybe a stretch financially, then I'd respectfully suggest to reconsider. $556 is one heck of a lease payment, with the downside well under control.

cheers -mathias
    steine13 said:

>> Since when is buying a 2-3 year old luxury vehicle, CPO, for a reasonable $3-5k over auction values such a bad deal?

It isn't, and that isn't the problem. Stretching a substantial payment nearly to the vehicle's second decade -- that seems a little sketchy to me.

You see, @breld, when cars age, things wear out. Not something you're likely to have experienced ;)

It's clear that @MrHarris183 isn't a gear head. He's asking the right people, which is a smart move.

If payments until 2025 are a way to smooth out cash flow from some abundant source, great.

If it's a way to buy a car that's maybe a stretch financially, then I'd respectfully suggest to reconsider. $556 is one heck of a lease payment, with the downside well under control.

cheers -mathias

-Yea I get the math behind the monthly terms multiplied by 'x' years, however isn't this the normal path to acquiring used mid lvl luxury vehicls? Or is there another way to acquire a GLC (or GLE) post 2015 and that doesn't involve paying $500+/month? Please let me know...!

-No I'm really not a gear head. That's true. I need help.

_-Affordability isn't the problem for me, I just want to take advantage of any ways to save a few grand on financing this vehicle or a similar one!
    henryn said:

steine13 said:

-I may have missed a few notches in thinking ahead, but I'm pretty sure it won't be 14 years old in 5 years. It's a 2017 and in 5 years it'll be 7/8 years old. And I'd probably be finishing up paying for it. Either that or pretty close to it.

-The newer version of this car would probably run $10k more! Better warranty, yes but more overall out of pocket.
    My mistake, I didn't look back far enough in the thread. I saw where someone said 9 years, and I thought that was present tense, not future tense (after paying for 6 years).
    The 2017 model came out in 2016. In car speak, it's 3 years old now. When the 72nd payment is made, it'll be 9 years old.
    Speaking of 9, when (if?) the 9spd automatic coughs up a lung, is the $6k repair bill an inconvenience or a financial desaster? I've known people who made payments on cars sitting dead in their driveway.
    Long ago in a galaxy far far away ... wait, wrong story, start over. Long ago, in a distant land ...

Around 1977 I had a young woman who lived with me for a year or so. A very beautiful, very exciting, but very bad young woman. Yeah, like that.

I bought her a car, a used Honda Civic, a 1974 model if I recall correctly. A rather neat little car. But she lied to me about her driving record (along with a few thousand other things), the insurance company canceled the insurance, and before I could get new insurance she totaled the car.

The car was financed with the credit union where I worked, and I knew (personally) the head of the credit union. He called me one day, saying he had received notification that the insurance had been canceled. I told him the car no longer existed, so I wasn't going to buy more insurance. But the payment was being deducted from my paycheck, and all he had to do was just leave things alone and the credit union would get their money. He wasn't happy, but he accepted the inevitable, and the loan was paid off. Eventually, we laughed about it over a few beers. But it was not the high point of my young life.
    steine13 said:

The 2017 model came out in 2016. In car speak, it's 3 years old now. When the 72nd payment is made, it'll be 9 years old.
    Speaking of 9, when (if?) the 9spd automatic coughs up a lung, is the $6k repair bill an inconvenience or a financial desaster? I've known people who made payments on cars sitting dead in their driveway.

nyccarguy said:
    Hey @qbrozen.  I have a friend with 2 Honda Fit EXs that his restaurant uses for delivery, so mechanically they are in tip top shape.  Interiors have held up quite well.  Exteriors have his deli’s name plastered all over them.  

How exactly is the name applied? Can he strip it off and have a clean car? If they were clean, he’d be looking at $15k for the pair, minimum. $6k and $9k

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

edited May 2019
    qbrozen said:
    nyccarguy said:

How exactly is the name applied? Can he strip it off and have a clean car? If they were clean, he’d be looking at $15k for the pair, minimum. $6k and $9k
    The name does come off, but you would clearly see where the paint wasn’t faded by the sun.  The letters are vinyl and do come off.  

This is one of them.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,237

_-Affordability isn't the problem for me, I just want to take advantage of any ways to save a few grand on financing this vehicle or a similar one!

The easiest way to save money on financing is to pay off the loan early, whether that's throwing a few extra bucks a month at the payment, or using any "found money" to pay down the loan, etc... You will thank yourself when you own it free and clear.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    I would just leave the decals on. Unique!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

qbrozen said:

-How does one go about finding out how much a dealer purchased their vehicle for before they sell it to us?
    nyccarguy said:
    qbrozen said:
    nyccarguy said:

The name does come off, but you would clearly see where the paint wasn’t faded by the sun.  The letters are vinyl and do come off.  

This is one of them.
    Are you guessing or has it already been attempted? The cars aren’t that old. A good cut and polish may take care of it. 

-How does one go about finding out how much a dealer purchased their vehicle for before they sell it to us?
    I don’t know about anybody else, but I just happened to find that exact car in the auction data, which is only available to those with dealer licenses who pay for it (or a kind-hearted private citizen with good connections).

• jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,466
    stickguy said:

I would just leave the decals on. Unique!

Sounds good until someone pulls a knife out and says, "gimme all your rubens" :'(

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
    Found this vehicle that I have my eyes set on. It's a '16 BMW X3 SAV xDrive35i, with 38k miles and a few convenience packages. The listed price is $33k. What really really caught my attention here was the 'Lifetime Warranty.' I was handed information on the details and from an outsider's point of view, it does seem pretty comprehensive. As long as I follow regularly scheduled mantainance as per the vehicle handbook, the Lifetime Warranty is valid.

What sort of leverage do I have to get this vehicle from a $33k down a few grand? 
    Vin #5UXWX7C53G0R17027
    Located in Omaha Ne
    My Zip is 68147
    Found this vehicle that I have my eyes set on. It's a '16 BMW X3 SAV xDrive35i, with 38k miles and a few convenience packages. The listed price is $33k. What really really caught my attention here was the 'Lifetime Warranty.' I was handed information on the details and from an outsider's point of view, it does seem pretty comprehensive. As long as I follow regularly scheduled mantainance as per the vehicle handbook, the Lifetime Warranty is valid.

What sort of leverage do I have to get this vehicle from a $33k down a few grand? 
    Vin #5UXWX7C53G0R17027
    Located in Omaha Ne
    My Zip is 68147
    Worth only $25k at the block, so yeah, plenty of negotiation room.

who is the backer of this “lifetime warranty”?

And do you have to have the scheduled maintenance performed at the selling dealer, and on whose schedule? Is it bumper to bumper or powertrain only? Most people trade vehicles every few years, so the value of a lifetime warranty is somewhat dubious. 
    The only 'lifetime' warranty I know is sold by Chrysler and is predicated on keeping up the maintenance AND gives them the out to just hand you 'retail value' if they decide they're sick and tired of paying. As the proud owner of a '17 Gd Caravan, I looked into it ;)
    I forget what it costs; it's obviously not cheap. I want to say around $3k but don't remember.
    I would not buy any warranty unless it is issued by the original manufacturer.
    We have it on our van. Shopped it around and got it for like $2400, IIRC.

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    A close friend bought a new Ram Hemi in 08 IIRC when Chrysler was really struggling and offered the lifetime Powertrain warranty. Two years ago, at about 190k, the engine was not running well. Chrysler rebuilt the top end of the engine, new exhaust manifolds, etc., which was covered by the warranty. He has 250k+ on it now with no plans to sell. It would be interesting to know what percentage of original Chrysler owners that got this warranty still own their vehicle, perhaps just because of the warranty.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Q -- let me know your gut feeling on retail value of the following, if you would be so kind?

2008 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5 4X4
    standard options, 22" allows, running board, short bed 6.5 ft, 4.7/V8.
    hard ding in door, some clearcoat damage on the exterior of the bed, both sides, blister in grille chrome, driver's seat (cloth) compressing w/ tears in it, AC inoperative, --- 107K miles.

Not a bad looking truck from 5 feet. Probably could use $1,000 to $2,500 in recon before a dealer fielded it. But miles are good, runs well.

I'm thinkin' $10K--$11K retail ??

You're talking as is? Not even here in Texas, where every other car on the road is a pickup.

That "AC inoperative" could easily set you back $2k to fix, all by itself.
    For a clean one, should be more like 13 retail. 

As is? Ugh... maybe 10? So $7500 trade, possibly? 

qbrozen said:

nyccarguy said:

Thanks so much for your help as always @qbrozen ! MY friend ended up getting $14K for both FITs (which I didn't know each had a "hit" on their carfax).

nyccarguy said:
    nyccarguy said:

Thanks so much for your help as always @qbrozen ! MY friend ended up getting $14K for both FITs (which I didn't know each had a "hit" on their carfax).
    Good grief, then he did REALLY well! Hopefully by not overpaying for the new car(s). ;)

edited May 2019
    This is his 6th & 7th Fit he's bought since 2009. It is rare that he's gotten more than $200 or $250 off the sticker. I think on one of Fits he traded in he got almost $800 off because it was a leftover. I think he paid sticker for these 2.

He got quotes from quite a few dealers. They all said sticker or $200 off sticker (just because he was taking 2). SO he shopped the trade.

• alveronalveron Member Posts: 11
    How much can I expect in trade for a 2017 Kia Sorento LX with convenience package - 32,000 miles?
    alveron said:

How much can I expect in trade for a 2017 Kia Sorento LX with convenience package - 32,000 miles?

He's going to need a little bit more information from you. Interior & Exterior Color? Are the tires original? Has the car been involved in an accident that was reported to CARFAX? What region of the country are you located in? Is it FWD or AWD? What's the interior/exterior condition like?

• alveronalveron Member Posts: 11
    nyccarguy said:

alveron said:

He's going to need a little bit more information from you. Interior & Exterior Color? Are the tires original? Has the car been involved in an accident that was reported to CARFAX? What region of the country are you located in? Is it FWD or AWD? What's the interior/exterior condition like?
    Thanks. I don't know what I was thinking :smile:

Both exterior and interior are black. Tires are original. No accidents. Located in Ohio. FWD and not the V6. Interior condition is good, mainly used with car seats. Exterior a few dings and scratches but nothing beyond normal wear and tear.
    alveron said:

nyccarguy said:

alveron said:

Thanks. I don't know what I was thinking :smile:

Both exterior and interior are black. Tires are original. No accidents. Located in Ohio. FWD and not the V6. Interior condition is good, mainly used with car seats. Exterior a few dings and scratches but nothing beyond normal wear and tear.
    About the mid $13k range.

• gmanusmcgmanusmc Member Posts: 699
    Hi Q - was wondering if you could magically come up with any auction info on this Tesla Roadster - it's a 2010 and very clean with about 57,000 miles on it. It appears that the dealer picked it up at auction around the end of April.
    The VIN is 5YJRE1A34A1001157

Also, any idea of what a fair retail value might be?

Thanks
    2016 ES350 Lux/Atomic Silver
    2017 Accord Sport CVT Mod Steel Metallic
    gmanusmc said:
    Hi Q - was wondering if you could magically come up with any auction info on this Tesla Roadster - it's a 2010 and very clean with about 57,000 miles on it. It appears that the dealer picked it up at auction around the end of April. The VIN is 5YJRE1A34A1001157 Also, any idea of what a fair retail value might be? Thanks
    They paid $38.5k.
    what are they asking for it?
    For most cars, I’d say $41k, but I have a feeling this would be tough given the rarity. Might need to cough up another $1k.

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Haven't seen one with 50,000 miles or so for less than $45K asking, so far.
    qbrozen said:

gmanusmc said:

Hi Q - was wondering if you could magically come up with any auction info on this Tesla Roadster - it's a 2010 and very clean with about 57,000 miles on it. It appears that the dealer picked it up at auction around the end of April.
    The VIN is 5YJRE1A34A1001157

Also, any idea of what a fair retail value might be?

Thanks

They paid $38.5k.
    what are they asking for it?
    For most cars, I’d say $41k, but I have a feeling this would be tough given the rarity. Might need to cough up another $1k.

Holy moly - my son is looking at this - they started at just shy of 55k - think theyre down to around 50k right now including shipping from TX to Socal.
    No deal. He can buy a used Miata to tide him over until a Roadster comes along at the right price, and still come out ahead. Does he know there is zero charging infrastructure for the Roadster? 
    corvette said:

No deal. He can buy a used Miata to tide him over until a Roadster comes along at the right price, and still come out ahead. Does he know there is zero charging infrastructure for the Roadster? 

Yep - he's fairly knowledgeable about Teslas - he's not buying one to be his road trip car. He has his Model S for that. Don't think he's a Miata type guy anymore.
    @nyccarguy I'm not familiar with the market, but I can't believe Fits are only $200 off sticker. The Sonic is a viable competitor, IIRC, and I think Hyundai and/or Kia have something, as well. I'm guessing a Civic or Corolla hatch would be even more.