Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Disappearing Oil

HyundaiOwner90HyundaiOwner90 Member Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Hyundai
Hey guys!

The one thing I’ve been consistent with since I got my 2012 Hyundai Accent is getting oil changes every 3 months. But lately after a month and a half/2 months the oil is completely dry before the 3000 mile mark is up. We can’t find a leak anywhere. And one time I had it sitting for a couple weeks while out of town and there was nothing on the ground. My car is about 145,000 miles now. Has this happened to anyone else? Not sure what to do.

Answers

• Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I assume you mean that the oil is low (maybe at the low mark on the dipstick?) and not completely gone. You would damage your engine pretty quickly if there was NO oil.

Nothing leaking on the ground while the car sits doesn't mean there isn't a leak while the car is running and the oil pressure is up, but assuming no leak, if the oil level is going down, it has to be going somewhere.

Do you have any smoke from the exhaust? Are you getting any oil in the coolant?
  • Options
    HyundaiOwner90HyundaiOwner90 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response I don’t have any smoke, so maybe it is going somewhere into the coolant? I’ll have them check. And yes extremely low to where it doesn’t read on stick. I have to add more oil myself in between oil changes.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,266

Thanks for the response I don’t have any smoke, so maybe it is going somewhere into the coolant? I’ll have them check. And yes extremely low to where it doesn’t read on stick. I have to add more oil myself in between oil changes.

If you can't find a leak, it could be an internal engine issue (piston rings?), and it's blowing out the exhaust.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator