Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

How is the ES in snow?

HopesigHopesig Member Posts: 3
edited November 2019 in Lexus
I live and frequently drive for work in a very snowy part of the country. I've had an SUV for the past decade, but I'm interested in switching to a luxury sedan. My concern is being able to drive safely and reliably in bad weather. The Lexus dealer told me the ES with good snow tires will do the trick. Is he right or should I seek out an AWD?
Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,222
    Hopesig said:

I live and frequently drive for work in a very snowy part of the country. I've had an SUV for the past decade, but I'm interested in switching to a luxury sedan. My concern is being able to drive safely and reliably in bad weather. The Lexus dealer told me the ES with good snow tires will do the trick. Is he right or should I seek out an AWD?

With winter tires, you should be fine.

Are you willing to swap out tires/wheels, twice a year?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Yes, I'm working under the assumption that swapping the tires twice/year will be a necessity for me if I go to a sedan. I had been thinking the AWD would be a must as well, but now I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Hopesig said:

Yes, I'm working under the assumption that swapping the tires twice/year will be a necessity for me if I go to a sedan. I had been thinking the AWD would be a must as well, but now I'm not so sure.

I don't know where you live, but AWD is seldom a necessity. 2WD vehicles with winter tires will handle, stop and turn better than an AWD vehicle with all-season tires. (I prove it, every year... )

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    I'm in western NY where snow, lake effect snow and then more snow are unfortunately part of our normal weather cycle November-April. Traveling up and down the NYS Thruway (or up into the Adirondack mountains) means running into unexpected heavy snow squalls is a certainty for those of us who have to travel regularly for work. I test drove the ES and liked it very much so I'm trying to make sure buying it isn't something I could wind up regretting in a snowy ditch some day.
  • Options
    Hopesig said:

I'm in western NY where snow, lake effect snow and then more snow are unfortunately part of our normal weather cycle November-April. Traveling up and down the NYS Thruway (or up into the Adirondack mountains) means running into unexpected heavy snow squalls is a certainty for those of us who have to travel regularly for work. I test drove the ES and liked it very much so I'm trying to make sure buying it isn't something I could wind up regretting in a snowy ditch some day.

The only issue with a sedan over an SUV would be with ground clearance. If you have winter tires, you definitely won't end up in a ditch over traction issues.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator