Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hoping for help identifying a car model - no pic - but handwriting in 1918 letter of used car...

MysteryCar1918MysteryCar1918 Member Posts: 3
edited December 2019 in General

In 1918 my grandfather wrote he purchased a used roadster with a chap, but I can't make out his writing for the make? Is there anything like a M?Langritis Anyone able to make out what he wrote? I've got, "You know I am in shares with a chap on a small ??? roadster. Just a second hand one but saves jitneys."

Thanks! Appreciate any help:-)

Answers

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Might be a long shot, but maybe you can use an OCR program/app to try and figure out what the mystery word is. I'm not certain that the word before roadster is a make/model name. It MIGHT simply be an adjective. Might also try to find handwriting samples from the period to help translate. Like this is Kurrent script from about 1865

You can see how some letters look like modern cursive, but some are really different.

Definitely a challenge :)
  • MysteryCar1918MysteryCar1918 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the idea - an adjective a good thought. I'm reading dozens of hand written letters by my grand father... you would think I'd be able to see his patterns by now, but no such luck.
  • texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    You might remove your email address - bots scour the internet for those.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    Pretty sure that says, Mazda Miata... ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,707
    Where was grandpa when he wrote this?
  • MysteryCar1918MysteryCar1918 Member Posts: 3
    Letter written in Toronto, Ontario in 1918.