Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

I need help finding a car that can fit 3 kids that is affordable

Stylez1233Stylez1233 Member Posts: 4
edited December 2019 in Chrysler
So as the title says I have 3 kids, a new born, a 1 year old and a 6 year old. The 6 year old is a tall kid for his age. I plan to own this purchase for the next 10 years unless something major happens with the car. I want to buy pre-owed with roughly 30k or less miles. I plan she will put roughly 10k per year on the car maybe less. We go away 3 times per year and we need to haul a ton of stuff like Suitcases, stroller, a bike, fishing pole etc etc.

A min-van appeared to be the obvious choice but HOLY GOD the market on these things is slim to none and new ones costing as much as luxury vehicles is insane! I don't need DVD (who owns a dvd anymore?) Bluray, head rest with over priced tablets etc. I just want comfortable seating and not have the thing look like it cam out of 1985 (yes you Kia Sedona). I figured buying some CPO gave me some coverage in Power train warranty but used with a purchased factory bumper-to-bumper warranty is appealing as well. The Dodge Grand Caravan seemed okay but I been told avoid it like the plague because of it crash test scores and dated features.

So I am really at a loss. I wanted to get the car price at 23k (before tax title, trade in which roughly comes out to 3k after i pay off what i owe on it). I seen some rental ones I could buy form hertz or enterprise that had like 30k mile for a 1 year old car but wife is nervous about them being beat up. I'd consider an SUV but it seems like most of them won't be as comfortable and have the storage for the trips plus but maybe I am missing something in my price range?

The wife wants the price range to not exceed $375 per month for 60 months. We already are approved at our credit union fro the best APR% rate which is 2.9%. Not really sure what I should do at this point or what to even look at that fits my needs, my budget and is a safe vehicle. Any help i appreciated.

Comments

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,955

So as the title says I have 3 kids, a new born, a 1 year old and a 6 year old. The 6 year old is a tall kid for his age. I plan to own this purchase for the next 10 years unless something major happens with the car. I want to buy pre-owed with roughly 30k or less miles. I plan she will put roughly 10k per year on the car maybe less. We go away 3 times per year and we need to haul a ton of stuff like Suitcases, stroller, a bike, fishing pole etc etc.

A min-van appeared to be the obvious choice but HOLY GOD the market on these things is slim to none and new ones costing as much as luxury vehicles is insane! I don't need DVD (who owns a dvd anymore?) Bluray, head rest with over priced tablets etc. I just want comfortable seating and not have the thing look like it cam out of 1985 (yes you Kia Sedona). I figured buying some CPO gave me some coverage in Power train warranty but used with a purchased factory bumper-to-bumper warranty is appealing as well. The Dodge Grand Caravan seemed okay but I been told avoid it like the plague because of it crash test scores and dated features.

So I am really at a loss. I wanted to get the car price at 23k (before tax title, trade in which roughly comes out to 3k after i pay off what i owe on it). I seen some rental ones I could buy form hertz or enterprise that had like 30k mile for a 1 year old car but wife is nervous about them being beat up. I'd consider an SUV but it seems like most of them won't be as comfortable and have the storage for the trips plus but maybe I am missing something in my price range?

The wife wants the price range to not exceed $375 per month for 60 months. We already are approved at our credit union fro the best APR% rate which is 2.9%. Not really sure what I should do at this point or what to even look at that fits my needs, my budget and is a safe vehicle. Any help i appreciated.

We have a math pronblem, with what you've shared.

$375/mo for 60 months works out to a loan value of about $21,000. That becomes your budget, after taxes and fees.

I don't think there is a problem with going somewhere like Enterprise or Hertz; they have warranties you can buy. Another option would be CarMax; they can do a nationwide search and, for a small fee, bring the right car to your location. Plus, they offer extended warranties as well.

You may have to rethink the type of car you can afford. While I agree that a minivan is probably the right vehicle for you, if you can't find one that you and the wife agree on (mileage, safety, etc.) you'll have to think outside the box.

Let me get some of our long time posters in here and offer up their .02 on this. They might have ideas I don't.

Also, what is your location?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,507
    an SUV that hits your criteria is going to be a full sized beast most likely, and they can be really expensive. and less room, especially with the 3rd row in use. And often even lower MPG.

the Pacifica is a nice car, and tests out well. Get one with the factory warranty and will be pretty safe. Cheaper by far than an Odyssey or Sienna. And don't discount a slightly used Sedona. You are on a tight budget, and "sexy" is one of the cheapest things to give up for $ savings.

maybe a used Traverse would be big enough inside. Footprint of a minivan without the capacity. But might work. You did not mention snow duty, so if possible, get a FWD version. cheaper to buy and maintain.

you might need to stretch the budget a little if possible. Or go out another year (not that I want to see a 6 year loan on a 3 YO car!) Actually, I use a 5 year rule. No loan on a car after it is 5 years old. so 5 on a new car, 2 on 3 YO. But that is just me.

just checking Carvana, because it is easy, but here are 3 that all are 2018s, miles where you want them, and within budget. Kia has a lot of features, and the Pacifica is pretty well equipped too. Sienna is the lightest on features I think, but does come with the all important Toyota nameplate.

These are just examples, but IMO any of these would fill your needs for a good budget price. Kia in particular has a lot of bumper to bumper warranty left.

I would say go drive one of each and see what you think.

Sedona
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1237246

Sienna
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1312277

Pacifica
    https://www.carvana.com/vehicle/1331823

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Stylez1233Stylez1233 Member Posts: 4
    Thank you both for your reply. I've looked into the SUV and I really think the Mini-van is easier for the wife to drive and will be much more functional for her. I'm in New York, so we have crappy winters, terrible roads and I also live near the water so salt water abuse does happen.

The wife wants to stay at $375 a month but I know that is not going to happen for a 2018+ on a pacifica. That is why I figured 23k for the car before taxes and title factor the trade in and i could be near $390 or $400 and I can sell her on the extra $25 a month. It not an affordability issue, it more of a what I would prefer kind of an issue.
    I first thought of buying brand new because of the 0% for 60 month Chrysler has but a new Touring-L was in the 32k-33k range for a 2019 or 2020. With 0 down and only my trade in i'd be paying $510 a month give or take (wife def not happy about that) I could put $8k down in cash to lower the payments but I don't think it is worth it.

So I started to look CPO but I didn't want to go back to 2017 because there is no Android Auto capability (sounds stupid but I REALLY love that feature) so had to be 2018+. I prefer the leather because of the kids so I felt the Touring-L was the sweet spot. Didn't need any DVD or head rest over priced tablets. The wife is the man driver and she is going o put about 10k miles a year on the van. I felt if I got something 30k miles or less, that should give me a good 7 years before I hit the 100k mile area and I have to start worrying about major items.

When I did my search in 100 mile range from me, there was not much in the $23,000 range that was 2018+ CPO with under 30k miles. I started to see a few int he range of $24-$25,000 but most seem to be rental cars or a lease that had an accident on it. I did find 1 just under 25k dollars with like 12k miles. Seemed too god to be true. No accidents no damage either. I went for a test drive and the car had a flat tire, bubbling in the paint by the hood passenger side and it had a weird rattle. Dealer was not moving on the price so I left. Funny thing 2 week later now same dealer has another with 15k miles for the same price. I am hesitant to test drive that one!

I went away from the CPO since I couldn't get what I wanted in my price range, so I began just looking used. I was able to find a few more in the 23k range but they had more miles and were not certified, so no powertrain warranty and I would have to fork over roughly another 2,500 for the Mopar 7 year 100k bumper to bumper warranty which brings my effective cost of the car down into the 21k range. This is where I ended up at the hertz or enterprise rental 2 buy places where I could get a 2019 but it had like 30-40k mile, which seems an awful lot for a 1 year old car, even with bumper to bumper warranty I was scared to go such a route.

So this is where I am at. I need a Minivan, I'd really like it to have leather and Android Auto, sliding side doors and that's about it. Part of me feels I won't be able to find what I want for the price I want but seeing as I have to get this thing by April 2020 the latest, not sure if I should go the Hertz route and get a 2019 with like 30k miles for 21-22k and pay for the Mopar on it or extend my budget and buy a 2018 CPO for 25k?
    Can also just roll without the warranty.

Another option, if they are blowing them out, just lease a new one.

I thought about leasing but my wife didn't like the idea of the forever $400+ monthly car payment.
    I would get a deal on a new one with the big discount, maybe a slightly used demo of some sort, and just pay the little extra and keep it longer to offset. Plus no need for extra warranty. Often the best plan if you want to keep it 10 years.

I'm going to go the 28th and 29th of this month and see what the dealers will offer me to move a car. Right now according to True-Car best deal a dealer will offer is 33k on a 2020 Touring-L or $32.5k on 2019.

Not sure how much better they'd be willing to go but If I could save the 10k and get one for 23k not that used, i'd be happier. Being in NY, I feel like a brand new car is a bad idea.

That why i keep going back to the Hertz where I can get a 2019 with like 25-30k miles, even though that a lot for 1 year and spend like 24k.