Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Question about Honda Accord 2010 EX excessive oil consumption (piston ring issue)

jkalsjkals Member Posts: 6
edited January 2020 in Honda
Hi,
I have a Honda Accord 2010 EX which is at ~55,000 miles. I am noticing excessive oil consumption for the last couple of years and I believe this is due to the piston ring issue and currently it looks like I am out of warranty to get this fixed without running a large bill.

My question is: If I keep monitoring the oil level and keep adding oil periodically, is it still safe to drive the car, or should I be worried about any risks of not having this issue fixed?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830
    jkals said:

Hi,
    I have a Honda Accord 2010 EX which is at ~55,000 miles. I am noticing excessive oil consumption for the last couple of years and I believe this is due to the piston ring issue and currently it looks like I am out of warranty to get this fixed without running a large bill.

My question is: If I keep monitoring the oil level and keep adding oil periodically, is it still safe to drive the car, or should I be worried about any risks of not having this issue fixed?

What is your consumption rate? (miles per quart)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• jkalsjkals Member Posts: 6
    Thanks kyfdx for your response. I got an oil change done from an established autoshop exactly 3 months back, and I have driven about 1050 miles since then, and now when I check the oil level, the dip stick shows below the low mark, so it looks like it is consuming at a high rate.
    I just now added oil, and I had to add approximately 2.25 quarts and now it is back at the high mark. Can I continue doing this as a mitigation without having the piston-ring issue fixed? Are there any risks such as the engine exploding etc.?
    Also, I just now saw that on a different older thread that relates to a similar issue, somebody recommended to use Lucas Oil stabilizer, is that recommended for this scenario to reduce oil consumption?
    jkals said:

I just now added oil, and I had to add approximately 2.25 quarts and now it is back at the high mark. Can I continue doing this as a mitigation without having the piston-ring issue fixed? Are there any risks such as the engine exploding etc.?

You sure can't wait until you are over 2 quarts low. You should be checking your oil at every fill up. Or, with the low miles you are driving, every two weeks. Then see exactly how much you have to add, each time. You may be exacerbating your problem by running it that low.

At 350 miles/month driving, even if you have to add a quart every month, you can keep driving that car forever. But, add oil every time you see it hit the low mark.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks kyfdx for the guidance and for your help! Sure, I will do that.
    jkals said:

Thanks kyfdx for the guidance and for your help! Sure, I will do that.

Have you noticed any leaks?

Are you blowing any blue smoke on acceleration?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Thanks for checking, the answer is NO to both questions.
    jkals said:

Thanks for checking, the answer is NO to both questions.

That's a good thing.. :p

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator