Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2018 Toyota Camry SE - Is the suspension different than the LE?

howardh3howardh3 Member Posts: 7
edited September 2017 in Toyota
I've narrowed my choices down to the Camry V4 LE and SE. I know the SE has different trim, a little nicer seats and a button you can press to put the transmission into "Sports" mode. But is there a Sports suspension in the SE that you can't toggle on/off? If there is one, what does it do to the ride? Is it bumpier where you feel the road more to put it into my layman' terms?

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    From Autoweek:

And as long as we’re talking about the suspension, here's another big thing about the new Camry: It has two separate and distinct setups for the suspension. The L, LE and more loaded XLE are aimed at the traditional (i.e., older) Camry buyer. They’re softer, more luxurious, comfortable, quiet and coddling. The SE and XSE are aimed at the younger buyer, the one all the marketing and product planning people think will be attracted to this new Camry. It is “sporty.” The two setups have their own springs, dampers, antiroll bars and tires.
    Toyota Camry SE

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• howardh3howardh3 Member Posts: 7
    kyfdx said:

From Autoweek:

And as long as we’re talking about the suspension, here's another big thing about the new Camry: It has two separate and distinct setups for the suspension. The L, LE and more loaded XLE are aimed at the traditional (i.e., older) Camry buyer. They’re softer, more luxurious, comfortable, quiet and coddling. The SE and XSE are aimed at the younger buyer, the one all the marketing and product planning people think will be attracted to this new Camry. It is “sporty.” The two setups have their own springs, dampers, antiroll bars and tires.
    Toyota Camry SE

Thank you for the reference. I assume from the article, that the SE model has a firmer ride. I was mainly interested in the SE for the trim and believe it or not, the seats. The front passenger seat bottom is very firm, bordering on hard in the LE. The SE is made from some softer material. I know it sounds dumb but my wife is very particular. Do you think there are some seat covers that are available that can cushion it a bit? I never looked into them. Thanks as always for your help.
    Can't see how seat covers would help.

No substitute for actually driving the cars.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

Can't see how seat covers would help.

No substitute for actually driving the cars.

I guess I didn't mean covers. But isn't there some sort of accessory you can put on a seat to make it more comfortable? I think I saw them in the store but am not sure what they are called. They usually come folded and wrap around the back of the seat with a string or cloth.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Choose a car that has comfortable seats. Trying to pad them after the fact will likely be disappointing and a potential regret.

Choose a car that has comfortable seats. Trying to pad them after the fact will likely be disappointing and a potential regret.

I agree with this..

And, when you get the SE, tell the wife it was because of the comfortable seats and ride. Can't hurt. ;)

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

kyfdx said:

I agree with this..

And, when you get the SE, tell the wife it was because of the comfortable seats and ride. Can't hurt. ;)
    I would do this but as the article you referenced mentioned, I think I would prefer the LE's ride over the SE ride according to the description. My only other option is the XLE which is $4,000 over the price of the LE for the V4. I would love the XLE-V6 but that's a $36,000 car now. The prices keep going up and up. That's why I thought I could get away with the standard LE with a seat cushion or something of the like.
  • REvansREvans Member Posts: 1
    howardh3 said:

kyfdx said:

From Autoweek:

Toyota Camry SE

Thank you for the reference. I assume from the article, that the SE model has a firmer ride. I was mainly interested in the SE for the trim and believe it or not, the seats. The front passenger seat bottom is very firm, bordering on hard in the LE. The SE is made from some softer material. I know it sounds dumb but my wife is very particular. Do you think there are some seat covers that are available that can cushion it a bit? I never looked into them. Thanks as always for your help.
    I have an LE and I don't find the seats hard at all, in fact I test drove both and I found the LE more comfortable than the SE.