Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lease Turn In Fee

amy83181amy83181 Member Posts: 50
edited February 2020 in Honda
Hello,
I just sold my 2017 Honda Pilot to a dealer, it was a Toyota Dealer. On my account it shows the payment from the dealer and then a Turn in Fee and Tax on the turn in fee. I called Honda financial to ask about it and they told me it was included in the payoff. Why would I have to pay a turn in fee when essentially I gave the dealer power of attorney to buy the vehicle. I didn’t return it to Honda to clean and resell. This doesn’t seem fair. Please advise if I would be able to have Honda return the fee. I tried to call but they are not open until Monday.

Thank you In Advance!

Comments

• Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,287
    amy83181 said:

Hello,
    I just sold my 2017 Honda Pilot to a dealer, it was a Toyota Dealer. On my account it shows the payment from the dealer and then a Turn in Fee and Tax on the turn in fee. I called Honda financial to ask about it and they told me it was included in the payoff. Why would I have to pay a turn in fee when essentially I gave the dealer power of attorney to buy the vehicle. I didn’t return it to Honda to clean and resell. This doesn’t seem fair. Please advise if I would be able to have Honda return the fee. I tried to call but they are not open until Monday.

Thank you In Advance!

The Toyota dealer didn’t buy your car (it appears). They just turned it back in to Honda. That is what I would clarify with Honda Finance, on Monday.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edited February 2020
    kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

Hello,

Thank you In Advance!

The Toyota dealer didn’t buy your car (it appears). They just turned it back in to Honda. That is what I would clarify with Honda Finance, on Monday.
    They would pay it in full and turn it back to Honda?
    If they didn’t turn it back to Honda should they refund the lease turn in fee to me?
  • Options
    amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

Hello,

Thank you In Advance!

If they didn’t turn it back to Honda should they refund the lease turn in fee to me?
    No... I'm saying it's likely they just turned your car back into the Honda dealer, like you would, if you hadn't given it to them. That way, it's just between Honda and you.

But, if the payment didn't come out of your pocket, why do you want Honda to give it back to you?

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

Hello,

Thank you In Advance!

No... I'm saying it's likely they just turned your car back into the Honda dealer, like you would, if you hadn't given it to them. That way, it's just between Honda and you.

But, if the payment didn't come out of your pocket, why do you want Honda to give it back to you?
    I didn’t buy or lease any other car from the Toyota dealer. I just sold it to them.

Also, I did pay a little over $1,000 out of pocket difference to close out the loan and the lease turn in fee plus taxes was included in that $1,000+.
  • Options
    amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

Hello,

Thank you In Advance!

I didn’t buy or lease any other car from the Toyota dealer. I just sold it to them.

Also, I did pay a little over $1,000 out of pocket difference to close out the loan and the lease turn in fee plus taxes was included in that $1,000+.
    I agree that you shouldn't have to pay a lease turn in fee, if you don't turn the lease in and purchase it. But, Honda Finance is free to quote whatever payoff they want to a third party. (fair or not). Often, there are three payoffs: One for the lessee, one for a Honda dealer, and another for a third party dealer.

I'm not sure you'll have any recourse, but it can't hurt to try.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

Hello,

Thank you In Advance!

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay a lease turn in fee, if you don't turn the lease in and purchase it. But, Honda Finance is free to quote whatever payoff they want to a third party. (fair or not). Often, there are three payoffs: One for the lessee, one for a Honda dealer, and another for a third party dealer.

When I called Honda financial they advised that the turn in fee should be paid but the dealer that bought it. Is that correct?

We really didn’t discuss the fee because I wasn’t aware of it until payment posted to my account.
  • Options
    amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

kyfdx said:

amy83181 said:

Hello,

Thank you In Advance!

When I called Honda financial they advised that the turn in fee should be paid but the dealer that bought it. Is that correct?

We really didn’t discuss the fee because I wasn’t aware of it until payment posted to my account.
    That seems consistent with what they told you to begin with. That the fee was included in the payoff to the dealer.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator