Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Project Cars--You Get to Vote on "Hold 'em or Fold 'em"

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    it is cheap for any car. if you are averaging below $100/month it is a cheap hobby.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    Yeah, Golf costs more than that.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    Storage blows the numbers out the door though, as that's $100/month by itself. I've been with Hagerty for insurance for years on it, ~$125/year. The past 5 years with the car have been easy, nothing unscheduled, so no more than ~$250 at the annual checkup. It needed a battery and a FI part in 2014, total job maybe $750. Tires in 2013 were ~$1200. But for a few years before that, routine maintenance, ~$250/year. I am thinking maybe a set of shocks and a couple other things this year (turn signal repair at least), so I might be close to a grand again, but the car deserves it. I might put an average of 1500 miles/year on it these days, which helps too.

edited April 2020
    Speaking of MBs, this was posted to a fintail group today, I found it interesting:

This is from the introduction of 280 badged cars, and immediately after fintails were phased out - all of the smaller cars listed here are W114/115. Due to inflation and exchange rate variances from this point forward, the open cars listed would effectively never depreciate.

Along with this, an options list:

I think this is the first factory offering of power windows and AC in lower line cars. Before this point, AC and radios were dealer installed, and power windows were up to the owner.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    fintail said:

Speaking of MBs, this was posted to a fintail group today, I found it interesting:

This is from the introduction of 280 badged cars, and immediately after fintails were phased out - all of the smaller cars listed here are W114/115. Due to inflation and exchange rate variances from this point forward, the open cars listed would effectively never depreciate.

Along with this, an options list:

I think this is the first factory offering of power windows and AC in lower line cars. Before this point, AC and radios were dealer installed, and power windows were up to the owner.

Any explanation why West Coasters get the shaft with higher prices across the board? Did they separate "delivery/transport" fees back then? I suppose it's a bit longer boat trip to reach the San Diego docks.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I was reading in a 72 Motor Trend that the 220D 4sp took 24 sec to get to 60, and said once up to highway speeds it ran well. Oddly they said ac had little impact on acceleration. They got 22 mpg with it overall. Typical MB, great seats, ride, functionality.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 240,118
    sda said:

I was reading in a 72 Motor Trend that the 220D 4sp took 24 sec to get to 60, and said once up to highway speeds it ran well. Oddly they said ac had little impact on acceleration. They got 22 mpg with it overall. Typical MB, great seats, ride, functionality.

The 1972 220D my folks owned when I was in high school was glacially slow. But, it loved to cruise on the highway at 55-65 MPH.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

220D automatic would be really fun. They existed. Perfect car for 55 mph doldrums, perhaps.

For those POE prices, probably a mix of slightly higher expense, and maybe a little profit center.
    fintail said:

220D automatic would be really fun. They existed. Perfect car for 55 mph doldrums, perhaps.

For those POE prices, probably a mix of slightly higher expense, and maybe a little profit center.

Yep, it was an auto. It was almost 10 years old when we got it, and it was still as solid as a tank.

My mother hated it, however. Never got used to waiting for the glow plugs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

• sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    That’s one thing GM did right with their diesels. Very little learning curve to start, and turn the key off to turn everything off. Dad’s 79 Eldorado diesel, twist the key to the running position, wait light glows maybe 10-20 sec, start light glows, twist key and off you went without further adjustments.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    sda said:

That’s one thing GM did right with their diesels. Very little learning curve to start, and turn the key off to turn everything off. Dad’s 79 Eldorado diesel, twist the key to the running position, wait light glows maybe 10-20 sec, start light glows, twist key and off you went without further adjustments.

And that 10-20 second wait time for the glow plugs was just the right amount of time to allow you to insert your foam earplugs to muffle the clatter once it did start.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• texasestexases Member Posts: 10,685
    That pic of the 400i’s V12 reminds me of the rat’s nest under the hood of a V12 Jaguar.
  • tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,852
    edited April 2020
    That 79 Collectors is actually rare with the leather. Most were equipped with the cloth. The seller claims it’s a Cleveland engine. No sir, it’s a 351M/400.

Love that blue on the convertible. Beautiful car.

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

edited April 2020
    Nutty price on that GTI. Especially for something mostly sitting for a decade that has needs.

The red rabbit cab, I found that yesterday. I like it. If local, at that price point, I’d buy it!

edited April 2020
    stickguy said:

Nutty price on that GTI. Especially for something mostly sitting for a decade that has needs.

The red rabbit cab, I found that yesterday. I like it. If local, at that price point, I’d buy it!

As much as I like that GTI, price is nuts. Bizarre for it to sell for more than the M5, a true modern classic.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    fintail said:

Quick BaT roundup of things relevant to me:

Now that's a color combo

I'm thinking of something blue... Something Bluuuuueeeeee....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The '73 Colony Park is a true barge. Amazed that a '73 Ford product hasn't disintegrated into dust yet, though the pics of the underside look as though it is thinking about it.

The '65 Marlin looks shockingly good and extremely original. Be the only one on your block. I like it.

The '79 Lincoln is an even bigger barge than the Colony Park but somehow less appealing to me.

The '78 C20 - I never understood those camper caps and now I understand them even less. How do you use the sink and stove, on your knees? Or does the roof pop up?

That blue Benz is so cool. Love the stick shift of course. Would love having this, and of course, the money to keep it going!

Now there's a line (and movie) I haven't thought of for a long time. So you do remember some pop culture, even if it was on the quirky side of it.

Regarding that blue roadster, I think it will do well even though it has apparent federalization/CA emissions issues. Although the late run Silver Arrow models get a lot of attention, many think the manual 300SL is the most desirable R129, and that has to be the best color combo.
    xwesx said:

I'm thinking of something blue... Something Bluuuuueeeeee....

• xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,762
    fintail said:

Now there's a line (and movie) I haven't thought of for a long time. So you do remember some pop culture, even if it was on the quirky side of it.

Guilty! I would probably remember much more of it if I ever took time to reminisce. For this particular quote, I had a group of friends who would break it out every time a BSOD would appear (which, in the mid/late 90s, was often!), so it is forever etched into my psyche. Funny enough, I didn't actually see UHF until around 1999. By then, I new half the lines in the movie thanks to those around me.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    edited April 2020
    An 18-year-old on another forum is asking about buying a '72 Riviera (thanks, @omarman ) as a 'daily driver'. He's already been warned that it'll be far from modern car reliable, that he'll need to learn a lot of new maintenance skills, and that it'll be a gas guzzler (even with the 'small' 350 that it has).

Any other thoughts on this I could forward?
    texases said:

An 18-year-old on another forum is asking about buying a '72 Rivera as a 'daily driver'. He's already been warned that it'll be far from modern car reliable, that he'll need to learn a lot of new maintenance skills, and that it'll be a gas guzzler (even with the 'small' 350 that it has).

Lack of any modern safety features.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    considering this was normal when some of us were kids, I don't think it is a bad thing. We've gotten spoiled. But I think he should at least know how carbs and antiquated electrics work and carry a pouch of basic tools and some spare parts and necessities like fuel filter, a couple of spark plugs, starting fluid, oil, steering/trans fluid, coolant/water mix, fuses, voltage regulator, and jump box. I'm sure others will think of other things.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    texases said:

An 18-year-old on another forum is asking about buying a '72 Rivera as a 'daily driver'. He's already been warned that it'll be far from modern car reliable, that he'll need to learn a lot of new maintenance skills, and that it'll be a gas guzzler (even with the 'small' 350 that it has).

The 18 y/o may be mistaken. Geraldo Rivera is 76 and a 72 Buick Riviera base engine was a 455 "large". :smile:
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
    It’s a total barge and won’t fit in modern parking spots?

edited April 2020
    Well, it's no bigger than a present-day pickup truck or body-on-frame SUV.

I doubt most young people will ever see a car with carbs. I'm far from a kid anymore and I have no plans to repeat that experience :) I'd want to see the car, too - if it's a mess, it might be worth warning him away from. If it's a gem, maybe encourage him.
    If it’s a gem, not sure it’s a good candidate for an 18 yo to bomb around in.

I got the fintail when I was 18 and like to think I have cared for it reasonably well. Not all kids are careless :)
    But at the time that was just a cheap used car, right? Not a classic show piece.

It was over 30 years old, not expensive, but that was the 90s when old cars were cheap here.
    fintail said:

I got the fintail when I was 18 and like to think I have cared for it reasonably well. Not all kids are careless :)

Most are.

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    edited April 2020
    ab348 said:

fintail said:

Most are.
    I think I treated the Neon quite well at 18. Of course, I'm a car guy. Now, I'm not saying I don't drive cars hard, and I expect cars to tolerate being driven hard. I'm just saying it was well kept, cleaned regularly, and serviced/maintained regularly. I've never grown out of driving my cars hard though, every car I've owned or driven has had to handle my heavy foot.

Some handle it a lot better than others.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    Sounds like a problem with upbringing :)

Come to think of it, my old college roommate got his 83 Monte Carlo when he was 18, and parted with it just a couple years ago as I think his wife pulled on the leash, and it was either that or his much nicer Monte SS. The guy I know with the 83 300CD also got it when he was in high school (he's only ~30 now) - careful people are out there.
    ab348 said:

Most are.

• bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    One other things I will mention is that he will have to take it slow until he gets a feel for its capabilities. I would expect the handling and braking of a Riviera to be better than most '72s, that ain't saying much.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

This guy in South Africa has rear windshield blinds in all 3 of his 60s MBs. These still are of interest to me for a fun period accessory in my project car:

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    @fintail,
    Your are going to love this! :s

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
    W220 with laughable exhaust tip, pretty sure that one isn't stock.
    edited April 2020
    They aren't connected to anything! You can see right through them back to front.
    There are 2.
    Wasn't there a period when BMW and MB were trying to de-emphasize their exhaust outlets? Kind of a 'green' thing?
    That car has pretty much hidden turn down tips.
    fintail said:

This guy in South Africa has rear windshield blinds in all 3 of his 60s MBs. These still are of interest to me for a fun period accessory in my project car:

You need to get a set of those. Maybe save on shipping, order a pair of lederhosen while you’re at it. 😄

Yep. Old S-classes often fall into a demographic who can't be described as tasteful, classy, human...

They aren't connected to anything! You can see right through them back to front.
    There are 2.

If this hellstorm ever gets back to normal, maybe a good excuse for a vacation/shopping trip combo B)
    ab348 said:

You need to get a set of those. Maybe save on shipping, order a pair of lederhosen while you’re at it. 😄

Non-tuned W220 had almost invisible tips, IIRC. Even up to MY 2013, the lux trim W212 E had invisible tips, but in today's age of faux sport/aggression, even the lux trim has tips.
    texases said:

Wasn't there a period when BMW and MB were trying to de-emphasize their exhaust outlets? Kind of a 'green' thing?

The most interesting thing in a landscape of cloned CUVs:

Ran fine, drove fine, got to honk a couple times - scary to think this is first world Murka with some of the stupid on the road lately. Got a couple waves and a couple compliments. Made a couple templates for upcoming mat upgrade, I think I am going to have the console tray (bare plastic) and the rear deck/parcel shelf (I replaced with an incorrect material 20 years ago) done in a tight weave fabric similar to the mats, as they'll apparently do custom orders at quite reasonable prices, and the tight weave sisal pattern is almost identical to the stock carpeting.

• benjaminhbenjaminh Member Posts: 6,311
    edited April 2020
    How much are those tires with the wide white walls? Love em! Would a Mercedes of that era have those?
    2018 Acura TLX 2.4 Tech 4WS (mine), 2018 Honda CR-V EX AWD (wife's)
    7 years ago they were just shy of $200 per tire. They were offered on MBs through the 1964 model year.
    benjaminh said:

How much are those tires with the wide white walls? Love em! Would a Mercedes of that era have those?