Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Ford Expedition Rust and Paint Problems

13»

Comments

• Options
    cholbencholben Member Posts: 1
    Bought a 2012 Expedition, already has corrosion issues on back hatch and under hood. Unfortunately, assumed, being a new vehicle, would not have this type of issue so was not anal upon checking paint. Did not discover issue until 60,460 kms. Well, now over warranty. This issue did not develop within then last 460 kms. When contacting Ford, was told this is a common problem. (Well Fix It!). Spoke to a body shop, who also confirmed this is a common problem. Extremely irritating when a company knows of an issue for years, and yet continues to sell a vehicle ($$$$$$), knowing full well of problems. I am sure they are hoping no one discovers until after warranty. UGH!!!!!
  • Options
    alwaysfords2alwaysfords2 Member Posts: 339
    The warranty wouldn't have helped you, it only covers rust through. It doesn't cover the crappy surface prep of the aluminum.
  • Options
    mtcarmelfoxmtcarmelfox Member Posts: 13
    2013 Texas Small Claims Court Victory – 2003 Pre-Owned Ford Expedition: A Texas Couple purchased a used 2003 Red Ford Expedition from a private owner in 2009. In 2012, the Expedition began showing signs of severe paint flaking on the roof and lift gate. They became aware from a 2011 NBC Chicago newscast that factory paint data existed on vehicles manufactured by Ford. They correlated the factory data with the paint issues. They found the issues were directly on the vehicle where the Expedition was painted below Ford’s minimum paint thickness specifications. They filed a claim in 2013 under specific elements under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act. They won $5,000 from Ford for the repainting of the Expedition. They did not use a law firm, rather they did it themselves. However, law firms would be beneficial to contact for assistance.
  • Options
    aijl79aijl79 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2014
    My 2008 expedition is bubbling on tailgate and the hood , ( next to the grill). Both are really bad. Anything you can send to me , or direct me to would be great. The rust will be soon popping through.
    The brakes are giving trouble with the calipers, and I have replaced one window motor, and another is bad, and another is very very slow. Thanks a lot.

[email address removed], any help would be great. Not familiar with doing this.
  • Options
    obusobus Member Posts: 6
    My 2008 started bubbling in same places as yours in 2011. You have to sue Ford to get relief. I chose not to go through the grief and cost. FYI repairs to the hood and tailgate will probably run you about $1200. There will be no rust popping through. The tailgate and hood are of sheet aluminum, thats why the paint is bubbling. Contaminants in the air when painted by the contractor at the Ford assembly plant (Louisville KY I think). It is a normal thing to have power window problems in the XP. I replaced both of mine at about 100K miles. I have 125K miles on it now and it is still going strong. Be sure to replace the spark plugs at 100K miles. If the shell type let the dealer do it. Depending on when engine was built will depend on which spark plugs you have; conventional or those cheapo shell types. I will still buy another one but I hope by then they have the paint contaminant issue under control. Dealer here in Green Bay says that he has to repaint EVERY trade in EXPY because of the paint bubbling issue.
  • Options
    kotcholiekotcholie Member Posts: 1

I have same problem with paint bubbling in my 2010 Expedition. A known problem by Ford, but they will not cover under their corrosion warranty until a hole brakes thru. By this time you have a totally rusted out tailgate and likely the warranty is expired, hence their policy. Now no cost to them. Would love to hear if anyone has had success with Ford covering this before the rust holes appear.

• Options

You won't have a rusted tailgate or a hole, it is aluminum. You will just have a really bad paint job which doesn't bother Ford.

• Options
    mtcarmelfoxmtcarmelfox Member Posts: 13

Vehicle owners with issues pertaining to blistering/peeling paint on Ford vehicles have taken the automaker to small claims court. This has resulted in vehicle owners winning repaints (some $5K and above). Owners have taken action and have received repaints or payments in NJ, MI, OR, NY, ID, IL, IN, MA, MD, CA and TX. Most of the vehicles were out of warranty, many were pre-owned. However they still prevailed. Details presented on the Ford Mercury Paint Peeling Facebook Site.

• Options
    k9educationk9education Member Posts: 1
    obus,

No one is going to completely strip/deoxidize or replace the hood and/or tailgate and repaint it properly for $1200. If you simply repaint the hood/tailgate without addressing the underlying oxidation, the paint is simply going to peel again. Considering that small claims court costs virtually nothing, your largest expense would likely be the cost of research materials from Zestar. As we are talking about $4K+ to address the issue properly, it seems well worth it.
  • Options
    daokie12daokie12 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2015
    I just washed my 2012 Ford Expedition, bought new so there is a 90% chance it hasn't been wrecked, and the paint on the front grill is coming off in several places. I had a 2009 and never had a problem with the paint. Is anyone else experiencing these problems? I haven't talked to my dealer yet but it will depend on what he tells me as to what I do next.
  • Options
    Haven't heard of paint problems on the grill. Hood and tailgate are the usual suspects. I'd guess the dealer will tell you it is a result of rock nicks not being touched up.
  • Options
    lamusgrllamusgrl Member Posts: 1
    Purchased new 2013 Expedition on 7-31-13. Lift gate is beginning to bubble or blister paint at perimeter and one spot in the middle. 3 years old and just 29000 miles. Looks like Ford has severe paint prep and quality issues. From what I have read, this is at least a decade old problem.
  • Options
    JjlindmanJjlindman Member Posts: 1
    My 2010 Expedition has tail gate and hood front edge paint peel. The reason this happens is the aluminum panel has steel attached bolts around those spots and a chemical reaction between the two causes the paint to peel. I would like a solution, possibly a coating that can be done??