Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Early lease termination

PoloPolo Member Posts: 4
edited May 2020 in Toyota
I am looking to lease a Hyundai Kona SEL 2020. I want to trade-in another lease that I have 12 months left. It is a Toyota RAV4 XLE, and lease is for 36months/54K miles year. I requested a payoff amount, and the amount came up to $25K, but the actual value of the car from comparisons in websites is between 15k to 18K. Could someone please explain how these numbers work? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,336
    edited May 2020
    Polo said:

I am looking to lease a Hyundai Kona SEL 2020. I want to trade-in another lease that I have 12 months left. It is a Toyota RAV4 XLE, and lease is for 36months/54K miles year. I requested a payoff amount, and the amount came up to $25K, but the actual value of the car from comparisons in websites is between 15k to 18K. Could someone please explain how these numbers work? Thanks

What it means is that it will be prohibitavely expensive to terminate your current lease early - $7-10K means your new lease will have $200-300/mo added on to the payment. For a car you aren't driving.

Your best bet is to keep the RAV4 until that lease is up, then shop for your next car.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    PoloPolo Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the response. The price depreciation between 7k and 10k is quite drastic in a year span. Based on your response, it is how the lease works. Thanks