Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    stickguy said:

so what engine exactly is that?

The infamous Dodge/Plymouth 2.0L 4-Banger.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,562
    bwia said:

abacomike said:

Well, I washed my car yesterday for the first time. This morning, my car had a layer of Saharan Dust on the hood, trunk and glass roof - and here I thought the worst would be that it would rain and ruin the nice shiny finish.

It seems that this huge layer of dust from Africa is upon us again this year, but with a vengeance. It's the broadest and thickest layer in recent history. At least it won't rain because the air is so dry!

Well, down here in the Caribbean, the Scirocco (remember the VW by that name) dust storm is not only sand blasting our vehicles but is also blocking our Covid-19 masks making breathing difficult at best.

What's worse, when the dust settles at the bottom of the ocean it kills the corals an important food source and habitat for commercial fish species.
    Well, it’s not all bad. Like most things in nature there are winners, losers and adapters.

https://www.gotostcroix.com/climate-weather/saharan-dust-the-good-and-the-bad/

Say, you’re not still stuck down there are you?

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

edited June 2020
    driver100 said:

ab348 said:

stickguy said:

One from a company he has a grudge against.
    But, it could be one of 3 of them!
    I wouldn't call my animosity to Ford a Grudge. Yes to GM and Chrysler for requiring and taking bailout bananzas. My negative view of Ford has to do with Quality is job 1, or lack thereof, but I wouldn't call it a grudge.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    andres3 said:

Can anyone explain why California still has insurance minimums at 5/15/5K, with a uninsured property limit MAXIMUM of $3,500 if you don't have collision? These are the same minimums that have existed for as long as I can remember, and that's more than 2 decades.

Has the State forgot about inflation?
    The profit margins on "minimum coverage" buyers must be HUUUUUGE! Only Insurance could be behind this.

Simple answer, it's California. If you don't like it find candidates that want to change it and work towards their election, or run yourself.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    Chrysler got a loan, and paid it back. Not a handout.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

stickguy said:

I’m guessing a 20 year old Neon. :(

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

andres3 said:

ronsteve said:

benjaminh said:

I think you can see why this is one of my favorite roads in Louisville to drive on....

Hopefully not too much hard performance driving, because it's in a park!

The big downside of the Louisville Loop is that it's almost entirely concrete, so sometimes in Beckley Creek I will run on the road just to give my shins a little less stress.
    Does a park need to be driven slower for some reason? I don't see it that way.

I would slow down for people though, but if the park is empty, all bets are off.
    I would presume that most park roads aren't designed for higher speeds. Plus little creatures that live in the park could cause quite a messing you hit them at to great a spped.

edited June 2020
    stickguy said:

Grrrr!!!! I've heard that argument before. But who in their right mind would turn down a subsidized loan? I get special super low interest rate loan from Uncle Sam, sell high interest loans to John Doe, and make out like a bandit.

If it was an honest loan, a bank would have given it to them; not the Government! Corruption on the highest order.

Lastly, only a misinformation campaign can say they paid it back with a straight face.

https://projects.propublica.org/bailout/entities/93-chrysler

This is ONLY the 2nd bailout of Chrysler, and by my math, less than .90 on the dollar was paid back, even including interest income. That's hardly "paid back." One good example why the interest charged should have been higher, because you are dealing with a bunch of scummy deadbeats at Chrysler.
    dino001 said:

Here is how this "increased testing by millions" looks like in reality. What? Numbers of tested people in Florida just went down in last two weeks? But the Governor said... Exactly

speed. graph had one spike that was higher than any other week including the two weeks after but looking at it as a running average the trend is that testing has been increasing.

fintail said:

Sounds like the demographic B)

Keeping two cars for one person when one isn't some kind of classic is kind of funny, and unless the car is absolutely like new, I suspect trade in could be lower than that. Sell it privately or let it go, it's not going to appreciate.

Reminds me of the prior (original) owners of my old W126, who in early 2001 replaced it with (drumroll).....an Avalon. The ES should serve him well and is no doubt a fine car at a relatively reasonable price.

driver100 said:

Particularly for Fintail. I saw the tennis guy this morning who is getting a Lexus, later today. I asked him what model.....he said he doesn't know. There was a fairly new ES350 next to his 2007 E, so I asked if it was like that. He said he doesn't know. How can you buy a new car and not know what model it is? I asked if he was trading in the MB, he said he would probably only get $5000 for it, so he'll keep it for now. I'll check next week to see what he got.

I'm doing the two car thing, mainly there is no real value left in the car to lose. I'll likely get the same amount (not much) if I sell it 3 years from now or now. Plus just keeping liability insurance on it is dirt cheap. So I use use it for grunt work and to keep miles off the other two good cars. Basically it have more value to me as a running beater than what I can get for it.

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited June 2020
    The $1.5B loan (huge amount in 1979) was from private underwriters, only guaranteed by the government. The interest rate was not superlow, but it was mandated to be "reasonable", which meant it was below creditworthiness of the company. There were number of concessions that Chrysler had to make to obtain them. It was not free money, it was last rescue without usury.

2009 bailouts were much more egregious. They basically stumped on the bankruptcy laws, changing order of the payouts, hosed the bondholders, including senior secured notes in favor of labor union (UAW) pension funds. It was clear violation of rules of the game, potentially creating really dangerous precedent. BTW, those "blood sucking vulture" bondholders (as the administration wanted to portray them) were for example Indiana (I think) Teacher's Union Pension Fund.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

dino001 said:

Here is how this "increased testing by millions" looks like in reality. What? Numbers of tested people in Florida just went down in last two weeks? But the Governor said... Exactly

speed. graph had one spike that was higher than any other week including the two weeks after but looking at it as a running average the trend is that testing has been increasing.
    Sure, but compare that with the rate of new cases and lack of correlation between one and the other (different weeks of positive tests vs. increasing tests). Testing increased by some marginal percentage, daily cases exploded by multiple times (over 5-10 times). My point was that the explosion is not due to "more testing".

2018 430i Gran Coupe

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Grrrr!!!! I've heard that argument before. But who in their right mind would turn down a subsidized loan? I get special super low interest rate loan from Uncle Sam, sell high interest loans to John Doe, and make out like a bandit.

If it was an honest loan, a bank would have given it to them; not the Government! Corruption on the highest order.

Lastly, only a misinformation campaign can say they paid it back with a straight face.

This is ONLY the 2nd bailout of Chrysler, and by my math, less than .90 on the dollar was paid back, even including interest income. That's hardly "paid back." One good example why the interest charged should have been higher, because you are dealing with a bunch of scummy deadbeats at Chrysler.
    Banks have limited ability to make loans, the Feds have virtually unlimited ability to loan money.

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Banks have limited ability to make loans, the Feds have virtually unlimited ability to loan money.
    Yes, banks are limited by common sense and decency if they want to stay in business without being bailed out.

It appears the Feds do have an unlimited ability to loan out money since they have no standards or criteria or expectation to be paid back.
  • ventureventure Member Posts: 2,860
    We are in Maryland visiting my son and his family. A guy driving a Tesla just dropped off an Amazon package.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    dino001 said:

dino001 said:

Sure, but compare that with the rate of new cases and lack of correlation between one and the other (different weeks of positive tests vs. increasing tests). Testing increased by some marginal percentage, daily cases exploded by multiple times (over 5-10 times). My point was that the explosion is not due to "more testing".
    You haven't mentioned the actual death rate, which is still going down, or do you have a graph for that.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

andres3 said:

ronsteve said:

benjaminh said:

I think you can see why this is one of my favorite roads in Louisville to drive on....

The big downside of the Louisville Loop is that it's almost entirely concrete, so sometimes in Beckley Creek I will run on the road just to give my shins a little less stress.

I would slow down for people though, but if the park is empty, all bets are off.
    I would presume that most park roads aren't designed for higher speeds. Plus little creatures that live in the park could cause quite a messing you hit them at to great a spped.
    No matter how much I zoom in on the photo, I don't see a single critter either. Conditions matter.
    edited June 2020
    houdini1 said:

You haven't mentioned the actual death rate, which is still going down, or do you have a graph for that.

It is true, it is down, but deaths lag the infections and hospitalizations by couple of weeks, both are up, the former dramatically, the latter is reaching ICU capacity in some locations (Florida BTW decided not to report that, as you know, if you break the thermometer the fever will surly end sooner). Hopefully it won’t be as disastrous as infections surge, as it seems the doctors know quite a bit better how to treat most severe cases than they did two-three months ago. We can only hope, but such hope that should not be an official strategy.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    Hood vents on the Mustang? I had those on my 1967 Mustang. Turn signals built in facing the driver told me when I had my turn signal on. Sort of a HUD before its time.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,373
    andres3 said:

stickguy said:

I know you hate Chrysler products and the company in general, but do you understand what a devastating effect it would have had on the economy if GM & Chrysler weren’t helped out?

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    houdini1 said:

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

As mentioned, deaths lag by a few weeks, also more younger people getting it now, and they don't die as much. But, the number of people getting it is exploding in some areas.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

lower deaths of course is a good sign. But if the hospitals are still overwhelmed it is a major problem, even if most people eventually recover and leave.

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    dino001 said:

houdini1 said:

It is true, it is down, but deaths lag the infections and hospitalizations by couple of weeks, both are up, the former dramatically, the latter is reaching ICU capacity in some locations (Florida BTW decided not to report that, as you know, if you break the thermometer the fever will surly end sooner). Hopefully it won’t be as disastrous as infections surge, as it seems the doctors know quite a bit better how to treat most severe cases than they did two-three months ago. We can only hope, but such hope that should not be an official strategy.
    Yes, our hospitals here are seeing an influx of patients and we have twice as many in ICU as 2 weeks ago. Very scary.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

I know you hate Chrysler products and the company in general, but do you understand what a devastating effect it would have had on the economy if GM & Chrysler weren’t helped out?
    They would have been helped out though, just at lower more realistic price points. Venture capitalists, investors, and other entrepreneurs could have picked up the parts and pieces of both that they wanted, if they were worth anything at all. Corvette is a good example of a model that had some value. The buildings and equipment they owned had value.

GM was fairly big and would have had an impact, but Chrysler was really a bit player by 2009. We also could have bailed out the dumb suppliers who's business models relied too heavily upon GM for pennies on the bailout dollar.
    nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

They would have been helped out though, just at lower more realistic price points. Venture capitalists, investors, and other entrepreneurs could have picked up the parts and pieces of both that they wanted, if they were worth anything at all. Corvette is a good example of a model that had some value. The buildings and equipment they owned had value.

GM was fairly big and would have had an impact, but Chrysler was really a bit player by 2009. We also could have bailed out the dumb suppliers who's business models relied too heavily upon GM for pennies on the bailout dollar.
    ab348 said:

Yes, by all means let's re-argue the 2008 financial crisis and the responses by government. After all it's only been 12 years.

I think people are going stir crazy sitting home listening to nothing but doom and gloom. We should all go out and buy a car.

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

Your post clearly stated that testing went down the past two weeks which by the graph you provided showed that there has been a study trending increase in tests week by week. Do you have stats about how much new cases have increased by?

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

Yes, banks are limited by common sense and decency if they want to stay in business without being bailed out.

It appears the Feds do have an unlimited ability to loan out money since they have no standards or criteria or expectation to be paid back.
    No banks have funds to loan out basically from bank deposits, investor funding and borrowing money, out of this they have to maintain a cash reserve equal to a set percentage of deposits. This reduces their ability to fund loans.

Governments do not have those restrictions on cash reserves and have many more ways to secure funding for loans.

andres3 said:

andres3 said:

ronsteve said:

benjaminh said:

No matter how much I zoom in on the photo, I don't see a single critter either. Conditions matter.
    Yeah the photo represents 1/60th of a second of time, what about the other 24 hours of a day? Critters have no concept of roads and vehicles and can jump out at anytime, much of the time with little or no warning.

nyccarguy said:

andres3 said:

stickguy said:

GM and Chrysler would have survived without the bailout, they would have gone into bankruptcy, restructure their debts and themselves. That would have hurt them in the short run but they would likely be better off in the long run.

edited June 2020

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

Your post clearly stated that testing went down the past two weeks which by the graph you provided showed that there has been a study trending increase in tests week by week. Do you have stats about how much new cases have increased by?
    Didn't I just write it above and presented a rolling graph showing it? OK, let me spell it out for you, if you insist

Florida daily new cases end of May and begin of June: around 1000 (which was up from mid May)
    Florida daily new cases today: around 5000, biggest surge in last week.

Now compare it with testing chart again. I found more recent data from the official source, it's compounded weekly (the other graph was a bit confusing):
    Florida largest testing week was actually 5/17 (the time label is wrong, shifted when go into the data graph on the website, it shows week of 5/17), almost 250k.
    Most recent available testing is 6/14: 227k.
    It seems like Florida is not so eager to release last week, it's been several days already. What's up with that. Are we going to learn that "more" means less again? I don't know, will see.

So it seems to me they tested MOST when the daily new cases was oscillating around or even below 1000 and the percentage positive results was around 2 percent. Then they "relaxed" (we won!) and the number of test is gradually decreasing at the same time we have five fold (that's actually charitable, if you look at the highest testing week, it's more than that) exponential growth of new cases, with positives approaching 10 percent (some days already above, reportedly).

Here is link to Florida's official tracking dashboard:
    https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86
    Here is link to alternative site, run by the lady fired by the governor for unclear reasons (the sides have vastly different stories):
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/

2018 430i Gran Coupe

Dino, I’m not really trusting anything coming out of Florida state government sources at this point.

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

dino001 said:

Didn't I just write it above and presented a rolling graph showing it? OK, let me spell it out for you, if you insist

Florida daily new cases end of May and begin of June: around 1000 (which was up from mid May)
    Florida daily new cases today: around 5000, biggest surge in last week.

Now compare it with testing chart again. I found more recent data from the official source, it's compounded weekly (the other graph was a bit confusing):
    Florida largest testing week was actually 5/17 (the time label is wrong, shifted when go into the data graph on the website, it shows week of 5/17), almost 250k.
    Most recent available testing is 6/14: 227k.
    It seems like Florida is not so eager to release last week, it's been several days already. What's up with that. Are we going to learn that "more" means less again? I don't know, will see.

So it seems to me they tested MOST when the daily new cases was oscillating around or even below 1000 and the percentage positive results was around 2 percent. Then they "relaxed" (we won!) and the number of test is gradually decreasing at the same time we have five fold (that's actually charitable, if you look at the highest testing week, it's more than that) exponential growth of new cases, with positives approaching 10 percent (some days already above, reportedly).

Here is link to Florida's official tracking dashboard:
    https://fdoh.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/8d0de33f260d444c852a615dc7837c86
    Here is link to alternative site, run by the lady fired by the governor for unclear reasons (the sides have vastly different stories):
    https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/7572b118dc3c48d885d1c643c195314e/
    You stated it but stating it and citing a source wre two different things, The graph you gave earlier made it hard to judge new cases. Also look at percentages as well as raw numbers.

Yes, the graph was confusing. This one is much more clear. There is zero correlation between the testing and the new case surge. Moreover, the claimed increased testing by the governing politicians is to put it mildly overstated, at least in last two-three weeks.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

edited June 2020
    stickguy said:

Dino, I’m not really trusting anything coming out of Florida state government sources at this point.

Agreed. The credibility is shot, sycophancy won. If we go this way we'll soon rival China in transparency and truthfulness.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

I think people are going stir crazy sitting home listening to nothing but doom and gloom.

This is most certainly true.

'08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913

bwia said:

abacomike said:

Well, I washed my car yesterday for the first time. This morning, my car had a layer of Saharan Dust on the hood, trunk and glass roof - and here I thought the worst would be that it would rain and ruin the nice shiny finish.

It seems that this huge layer of dust from Africa is upon us again this year, but with a vengeance. It's the broadest and thickest layer in recent history. At least it won't rain because the air is so dry!

Well, down here in the Caribbean, the Scirocco (remember the VW by that name) dust storm is not only sand blasting our vehicles but is also blocking our Covid-19 masks making breathing difficult at best.

What's worse, when the dust settles at the bottom of the ocean it kills the corals an important food source and habitat for commercial fish species.
    Well, it’s not all bad. Like most things in nature there are winners, losers and adapters.

https://www.gotostcroix.com/climate-weather/saharan-dust-the-good-and-the-bad/

Say, you’re not still stuck down there are you?
    Thanks for sharing this article.

And yes, we are still stuck down here but ports may be open up by July 15. Most islands are wary of admitting American tourists who are seen as mass spreaders. Besides, they don't have the facilities to quarantine but a couple dozen people at a time. The end result is hardship for all --- not only the tourism biz
    even if they won't let tourists in, will they be happy to kick you out?

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited June 2020
    I wouldn't put money on the veracity of cause of death reports from coroners/authorities in some areas, either.
    dino001 said:

Agreed. The credibility is shot, sycophancy won. If we go this way we'll soon rival China in transparency and truthfulness.

Do you want my paypal, or prefer wire transfer?

I think people are going stir crazy sitting home listening to nothing but doom and gloom. We should all go out and buy a car.

I've read Iceland will let you in now - once you pass a thorough 'Rona test. If you fail, you can quarantine for 14 days or leave.
    stickguy said:

even if they won't let tourists in, will they be happy to kick you out?

fintail said:

Do you want my paypal, or prefer wire transfer?

That’s nice. With that kind of mileage it must have sat in a museum. You should get it. If I were buying it I’d bring a suitcase of cash.🤑

Oh, I thought you were offering to help me out :p

That’s nice. With that kind of mileage it must have sat in a museum. You should get it. If I were buying it I’d bring a suitcase of cash.🤑

edited June 2020
    Just posted, almost 9000 new cases. Nice near double in two days, if we take a little longer view on the moving average line, it's probably around 3-4 day doubling, which is expotential curve just like it was at the beginning. Have we won yet?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    Those numbers are wild! It is probably young people who for the most part.......won't have any or very little affects. Though some think it is the long term affects that may be very harmful.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

No impact from young people save for those with underlying conditions, or when they go to grandma's house and sneeze.
    edited June 2020
    There are some viruses that "do nothing" for years then kill you: HPV, HIV, HCV. Hopefully Sars-Cov-2 is not one of them, but we don't really know for sure, it's new. It's similar to other coronas, which makes it flue/cold like but we don't know its exact effect over lifetime.

The problem is while young people will feel nothing, their parents, grannies, uncles, aunts may get it from them. That's why I jokingly (through tears) titled one of these graphs "grandma had a good life". I'm really astonished by level of selfishness of people. This is especially regarding the whole mask thing. Nobody seems to get it that mask is not for the person who wears it, it's for the rest of us. In essence, we both put it on and protect each other from what we don't know. Seems like a completely foreign concept to citizens and those moronic officials, too. I saw Florida CFO on cable yesterday - what a clown, he completely missed the point on masks. Absolute disgrace. How are people supposed to do what they should if the officials don't get it, either?

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• suydamsuydam Member Posts: 4,676
    dino001 said:

stickguy said:

Except the data don’t agree with their public stance. So I’d be inclined to say the data are what they are, and some people would like to wish it away.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    edited June 2020
    stickguy said:

lower deaths of course is a good sign. But if the hospitals are still overwhelmed it is a major problem, even if most people eventually recover and leave.

Still overwhelmed? NYC was close to being overwhelmed, but where else? For months it was not enough ventilators, ventilators, ventilators. Then it turned out that using ventilators was the problem. We still have a lot to learn before people should be in panic mode. As long as the death rate is trending down, I see that as progress.

Just yesterday the CDC estimated that the U.S. probably has 10 times the number of reported cases. 20 million instead of 2 million. There could be even more than that, so obviously "new" reported cases are going to increase.

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460