Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!





Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

1226622672269227122722281

Comments

  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,788
    edited July 27
    Talking receivers, my Pioneer Elite SC-63 just started displaying UE22 Error. The manual said it was an "update error", but it's in fact bad manufacturing of a one of those digital sound processing chips by Texas Instruments. Apparently there was some replacement program, but it's gone by now, they don't have any parts left, they may offer some discount, but not sure about that. So far the receiver still plays, but from description of others I expect it to cut off at some point. It's already tempestuous whenever I turn it on for digital signal. There is one thing I can still do, apparently - it's reheating this chip with a heat gun to reset its soldering. Several people report it may help, as it may eliminate microcracks in the chip connection. Would need to buy such a gun, they are relatively cheap, so no big deal.

    This really sucks. I've had it for about five years, which is long enough for get some enjoyment, but way too short for what I expected at the price. I really liked this receiver, it did everything I needed it to do and did it well, but if buying again, not sure which one I'd get.

    2018 430i Gran Coupe

  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,369
    @ab348 ....I know a couple of “Willy-wavers”. I can only take about 5 mins with them. For some reason, they seem to seek me out when we’re in a group. Maybe it’s because I’m polite and will listen to them for 5 mins and nod like I care (I don’t).

    Live music reproduction in your home....not happening. No matter how much you spend, you’ll never reproduce that. Pro musicians have huge venues to play in. And overall, they have pro-audio equipment to fill those venues.

    But, you can spend some money (OK....a LOT of money) and get a relatively holographic sound with your stereo system where the speakers disappear and your room seems to expand where the sound seemingly comes from beyond your walls and ceiling. Neat party trick, but nowhere near a live concert in a venue made for live concerts.

    @roadburner ....that Hanson Audio place was a Field of Dreams type of venue. You can drop buckets and buckets of cash there. They had some B&W Nautilus speakers playing that consumed me for about 30 minutes. And, I would have listened longer if they hadn’t kindly asked if they could do another demo for someone. What they were really saying was “get out of the way so we can sell something to someone who can actually afford these”. The speakers alone cost $60,000 (you read that right). Who knows how much the electronics cost they used to drive them.

    I will say this...they had a nice home theater set up that they were demoing. My guess is it probably cost 4x-5x more than my set up. I still say mine looks and sounds better. I have yet to see or hear anything better than my set up. For that, I’ll wallow in the sadness that I don’t have an unending stream of cash to make it sound even better.

    So, I set up the Magnepans in my home theater room, as that’s where I have everything set up. Spent a couple of hours with them just trying to get their positioning right. My Denon can drive them and does a credible job while doing it. They don’t have much in the way of low end reproduction, so they would need a subwoofer. The mids and highs are glorious, though.

    Downsides....again, they need a sub. To get the “glorious” sound, the listening position is very small and you have to stay there. Not a problem for me as I’d just set up a recliner in the “sweet spot”. You move a little left or right of the “sweet spot” and the holographic nature of them collapses, and they just sound thin and lifeless.

    I can’t integrate them in my Home Theater set up. So, unless I drop more cash into a pre-amp, amp and a source (turntable, streamer, etc), they will get shoved into my closet of forgotten audio gear in the hopes I can resurrect them some day.

    Don’t make fun, but the GF loves “PINK”. I let her listen to Pink after I got the speakers dialed in. Her reply? “I don’t know why you spent so much time setting these up. What’s so special about them? Take me out for dinner.”

    So much for my wish to have her enable me.
    2019 Kia Stinger GT2
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,369
    sda said:

    ab348 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    nyccarguy said:

    Happy birthday @jmonroe or is today @jmonroe1 ’s birthday?

    Well, since we’re joined at the hip, thanks to Edmunds, we’re going to celebrate this day together. :(

    jmonroe
    Happy belated birthday wishes, JM!

    I have one today. This is my song of the day:

    Happy Birthday to you both!
    X2!
    2019 Kia Stinger GT2
  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,369
    abacomike said:

    I am watching the Phillies and Marlins game on TV and am truly enjoying watching baseball again! I really missed watching Major League Baseball. Can't wait for football to begin!🤓🤪😜


    I feel the same, Mike. The downside, my Reds came out blazing in the first game. The next two (against the lowly Tigers, no less) the bull pen blew. The Reds spent an awful lot of money on the starting 8 and the starting pitching during the off-season. They forgot about the bullpen.

    Rumor has it, they’ll start selling tickets to the games and will limit attendance to 20% of the Great American Ballpark’s capacity, which equals about 9,000 fans, and allows for plenty of social distancing.

    I’m trying to find out when they go on sale because I’ll snag some tix.
    2019 Kia Stinger GT2
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,611
    dino001 said:

    Talking receivers, my Pioneer Elite SC-63 just started displaying UE22 Error. The manual said it was an "update error", but it's in fact bad manufacturing of a one of those digital sound processing chips by Texas Instruments. Apparently there was some replacement program, but it's gone by now, they don't have any parts left, they may offer some discount, but not sure about that. So far the receiver still plays, but from description of others I expect it to cut off at some point. It's already tempestuous whenever I turn it on for digital signal. There is one thing I can still do, apparently - it's reheating this chip with a heat gun to reset its soldering. Several people report it may help, as it may eliminate microcracks in the chip connection. Would need to buy such a gun, they are relatively cheap, so no big deal.

    This really sucks. I've had it for about five years, which is long enough for get some enjoyment, but way too short for what I expected at the price. I really liked this receiver, it did everything I needed it to do and did it well, but if buying again, not sure which one I'd get.

    If you think that sucks what do you think about this:

    I got a robo call this morning about final expense insurance. I hung up immediately but I did hear that much. Mrs. j was in the kitchen and asked who called. I told her and she quips, “you know, you otta start paying attention to those kind of calls now”. I’ll see how she feels in about 3 weeks when she’ll be as old as me. If I felt up to it I shoulda chased her around the dining room table for a lap or two. Would have served her right. :@

    jmonroe

  • graphicguygraphicguy Edmunds Poster EmeritusPosts: 12,369
    dino001 said:

    Talking receivers, my Pioneer Elite SC-63 just started displaying UE22 Error. The manual said it was an "update error", but it's in fact bad manufacturing of a one of those digital sound processing chips by Texas Instruments. Apparently there was some replacement program, but it's gone by now, they don't have any parts left, they may offer some discount, but not sure about that. So far the receiver still plays, but from description of others I expect it to cut off at some point. It's already tempestuous whenever I turn it on for digital signal. There is one thing I can still do, apparently - it's reheating this chip with a heat gun to reset its soldering. Several people report it may help, as it may eliminate microcracks in the chip connection. Would need to buy such a gun, they are relatively cheap, so no big deal.

    This really sucks. I've had it for about five years, which is long enough for get some enjoyment, but way too short for what I expected at the price. I really liked this receiver, it did everything I needed it to do and did it well, but if buying again, not sure which one I'd get.

    I had heard that. You have nothing to lose. But, once you crack open the case, and start applying heat, I would imagine it would have to be hot enough to at least soften the solder, which could lead to a lot of other issues. Worth a shot, though.

    Too bad...that’s a nice AVR.
    2019 Kia Stinger GT2
  • ventureventure Central PAPosts: 1,731
    omarman said:

    A couple weeks ago I suggested that an NFL team may change their name to "Redacted." I was close. :smile:
    image

    ab348 said:

    abacomike said:

    I am watching the Phillies and Marlins game on TV and am truly enjoying watching baseball again! I really missed watching Major League Baseball. Can't wait for football to begin!🤓🤪😜

    I resubscribed to MLB TV on Friday in time to watch the Mets win their opener. Then things got back to normal yesterday when the bullpen blew the lead with 2 out in the 9th and they lost in extra innings. It's hard being a Mets fan.
    Because of something to do with baseball I am boycotting MLB for the time being.
    I suggested they just make the name Washington.

    But, but, but they said. Washington what? What logo would they use?

    I guess they could use the same logo as Cleveland.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 27,227

    driver100 said:

    For those who don't believe people are having parties. This house party took place just outside of Toronto, estimate 200 people attended. There are 100 to 150 cars parked on the property....some who were there said the virus is fake.
    https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/police-break-up-brampton-house-party-with-200-reportedly-inside-1.5663755
    The homeowner could be fined $100000!

    Well, you Canadaians are a wild bunch. ;)

    I heard of one guy who got fined for drinking his Tim Horton’s coffee in his car.
    Generally, a great majority of Canadians are following the rules, and it seems to be working but doesn't take much to set things off and go downhill fast. People have been fined $800 for walking in a park or playing basketball etc. But, a huge house party with 200 people, and someone was even there to park the cars........ :@

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 27,227
    At least it could be "The Washingtons" plural. Is there a team called The Wave anywhere? How about Washington Wave?

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,824
    driver100 said:

    houdini1 said:

    driver100 said:


    I probably wouldn't settle for a Camry either...I mean I am still breathing. I loved my BMW convertible, but wouldn't consider another BMW Cabriolet because I can't be bothered messing around with snow tires anymore. My AWD is good enough to get through most snow. If my MB became problematic I might settle for a Lexus........just a little more willing to compromise these days especially if it means more time-for me. I won't watch a movie or TV program if I am not into it after 15 minutes....life is limited. I'd rather have a Camry than a fancy car that is in the garage half the time. Listening to a good music system.....I love music and appreciate good sound...it is just to passive, rather be doing or seeing something...places to go and see - tennis games to play!

    I've got plenty of things to do- plus, I still have a job that I find fulfilling and enjoyable. When I do sit down to watch a movie or listen to music I want something more than a couple of tinny 3.5" cones driven almost to the point of 10% THD.
    And not to put too fine a point on it, at 63 years of age I still don't consider compromise to be a virtue.
    I believe that men also go through a "change of life", just as a woman does. It is a slow process over a 2 or 3 year period and you don't really notice it until it is complete. Different ages for everyone I assume, but it will happen if you live long enough. At 77 I am different, but just as content and satisfied with my life as ever, maybe even more so. Getting old is not all good, but not all bad either.
    You don't think things will change but they do. I have a friend who was a tremendously good golfer. First, the flexibility and strength started to go, so couldn't play competitively by about 65. By 70 he felt he has played his best golf, he has been there done that....no interest in playing any more.

    Cars.....I used to get excited about getting a new car. I have about 20000 miles on the E400, absolutely no desire to shop for a new car. Even if I wanted a new one I don't want to get used to a new one, and it would be a waste financially. So, I think our wants and needs change as we get older.

    Could it be that you've reached the pinnacle of your automotive desires with the E400? Perhaps you've satisfied your urges for a great car. There is the law of diminishing returns when you get to a very high level car.

    I'd prefer a TTRS to a TTS, but really, the improvements are just incremental.

    Same with audio. At some point, you get over "upgrade-itis" because you realize it takes a fortune to make a meaningful and significant improvement once your system rocks from top to bottom.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,824
    houdini1 said:

    houdini1 said:


    In retrospect, at 63 I was still a young man, and physically, mentally, and lifestyle wise, nothing much had changed in my life. Still felt the same in early 70's. Now, at 77, I can certainly tell the difference between now and when I was 63, or even when 73. Still healthy for my age and have "shot my age" at least once on the golf course since I was 72...but I am certainly not as strong as I once was and don't have the stamina to play 36 or more holes a day, nor do I have the desire to play that much.

    I believe that men also go through a "change of life", just as a woman does. It is a slow process over a 2 or 3 year period and you don't really notice it until it is complete. Different ages for everyone I assume, but it will happen if you live long enough. At 77 I am different, but just as content and satisfied with my life as ever, maybe even more so. Getting old is not all good, but not all bad either.

    So if you are correct I shouldn't have to worry about getting an irresistible urge to own a non-AMG Mercedes for at least 14 or so years.
    That's encouraging.

    Even more encouraging is that my taste in cars hasn't changed much over the years, nor has my love of golf. I have always liked expensive, well made cars. BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus LS. My last 3 have been LS's, but I don't like the direction they are heading.
    A good line to use on a SO is that you like the finer things in life, which is why you chose her.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • 28firefighter28firefighter Seattle, WAPosts: 6,801
    @roadburner - you've got PM.
    2019 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited, 2019 BMW i3 REX, 2004 BMW 330i ZHP 6MT
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,824
    stickguy said:

    you audiophiles should take a drive with my wife. Will drive you nuts whenever a good song is on, you turn the volume up when a good song comes on and all those 16 ELS speakers and HiPO amps start cranking, and she immediately turns it down to about 4 saying "it's too loud". They do get more exercise when I am driving by myself.

    pretty much goes for the TV too ("what are you, deaf?")

    so driving big sound, far less important than clear output at low volume!

    That's the problem at my house, my wife doesn't like it loud (though seemingly not as extreme as yours), but she doesn't understand the types of speakers I have in the main room do not like it (are very unhappy with) low volume. They need some volume to come alive.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 27,227
    andres3 said:

    driver100 said:

    houdini1 said:

    driver100 said:


    I probably wouldn't settle for a Camry either...I mean I am still breathing. I loved my BMW convertible, but wouldn't consider another BMW Cabriolet because I can't be bothered messing around with snow tires anymore. My AWD is good enough to get through most snow. If my MB became problematic I might settle for a Lexus........just a little more willing to compromise these days especially if it means more time-for me. I won't watch a movie or TV program if I am not into it after 15 minutes....life is limited. I'd rather have a Camry than a fancy car that is in the garage half the time. Listening to a good music system.....I love music and appreciate good sound...it is just to passive, rather be doing or seeing something...places to go and see - tennis games to play!

    I've got plenty of things to do- plus, I still have a job that I find fulfilling and enjoyable. When I do sit down to watch a movie or listen to music I want something more than a couple of tinny 3.5" cones driven almost to the point of 10% THD.
    And not to put too fine a point on it, at 63 years of age I still don't consider compromise to be a virtue.
    I believe that men also go through a "change of life", just as a woman does. It is a slow process over a 2 or 3 year period and you don't really notice it until it is complete. Different ages for everyone I assume, but it will happen if you live long enough. At 77 I am different, but just as content and satisfied with my life as ever, maybe even more so. Getting old is not all good, but not all bad either.
    You don't think things will change but they do. I have a friend who was a tremendously good golfer. First, the flexibility and strength started to go, so couldn't play competitively by about 65. By 70 he felt he has played his best golf, he has been there done that....no interest in playing any more.

    Cars.....I used to get excited about getting a new car. I have about 20000 miles on the E400, absolutely no desire to shop for a new car. Even if I wanted a new one I don't want to get used to a new one, and it would be a waste financially. So, I think our wants and needs change as we get older.

    Could it be that you've reached the pinnacle of your automotive desires with the E400? Perhaps you've satisfied your urges for a great car. There is the law of diminishing returns when you get to a very high level car.

    I'd prefer a TTRS to a TTS, but really, the improvements are just incremental.

    Same with audio. At some point, you get over "upgrade-itis" because you realize it takes a fortune to make a meaningful and significant improvement once your system rocks from top to bottom.
    You got it Andre, I don't want a larger car and my car has everything I could want. A 535 or an A5 would be about equal, but the comfort and design inside and out are more to my liking - especially the digital flat screen instrument display. The only cars that I have dreams about are a Porsche Cayenne, a Rolls Royce Phantom, and a baby Bentley Flying Spur. But, these cars are a bit impractical, dealers are a long ways away.......and I would feel a bit of a target if I ended up in the middle of an angry mob.
    This Phantom has flat sides and large windows.

    If I had Drivers Garage like Jay's Garage, probably add a new Mustang, a 58 T-Bird, a 2020 BMW 435 convert.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 11,183

    houdini1 said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    houdini1 said:

    driver100 said:


    I probably wouldn't settle for a Camry either...I mean I am still breathing. I loved my BMW convertible, but wouldn't consider another BMW Cabriolet because I can't be bothered messing around with snow tires anymore. My AWD is good enough to get through most snow. If my MB became problematic I might settle for a Lexus........just a little more willing to compromise these days especially if it means more time-for me. I won't watch a movie or TV program if I am not into it after 15 minutes....life is limited. I'd rather have a Camry than a fancy car that is in the garage half the time. Listening to a good music system.....I love music and appreciate good sound...it is just to passive, rather be doing or seeing something...places to go and see - tennis games to play!

    I've got plenty of things to do- plus, I still have a job that I find fulfilling and enjoyable. When I do sit down to watch a movie or listen to music I want something more than a couple of tinny 3.5" cones driven almost to the point of 10% THD.
    And not to put too fine a point on it, at 63 years of age I still don't consider compromise to be a virtue.
    In retrospect, at 63 I was still a young man, and physically, mentally, and lifestyle wise, nothing much had changed in my life. Still felt the same in early 70's. Now, at 77, I can certainly tell the difference between now and when I was 63, or even when 73. Still healthy for my age and have "shot my age" at least once on the golf course since I was 72...but I am certainly not as strong as I once was and don't have the stamina to play 36 or more holes a day, nor do I have the desire to play that much.

    I believe that men also go through a "change of life", just as a woman does. It is a slow process over a 2 or 3 year period and you don't really notice it until it is complete. Different ages for everyone I assume, but it will happen if you live long enough. At 77 I am different, but just as content and satisfied with my life as ever, maybe even more so. Getting old is not all good, but not all bad either.
    77, you’re just a kid. Being today is my birthday I just added one to that age. Spent the whole day helping Son #1 at flip house #2. I don’t think I’m any more tired than when we did flip #1 last Summer. I guess some things never change except for the number of candles on the cake. Which BTW, the girls are preparing that as I post. Now that I think about it I can’t eat as much cake and ice cream as I did when I was 28, 38, 48, 58, you get the idea. B)

    jmonroe

    Happy BD there old fella !! Together with your evil twin that makes you 156 years old. My evil twin always makes those second try putts that I miss on the first try.
    Seems like everyone these days has an evil twin except me. Even my twin has one.
    I actually have an identical twin - I wouldn't say he was evil but he does have evil thoughts - but he does not act upon them. I am the evil twin!🤪😜🤓

    2020 Mercedes E450 4MATIC Sedan

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 11,183
    I prefer the Ghost II sedan. The Phantom is too big and bulky.

    2020 Mercedes E450 4MATIC Sedan

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 37,995
    driver100 said:

    At least it could be "The Washingtons" plural. Is there a team called The Wave anywhere? How about Washington Wave?

    Washington gridlocks? Beltways?

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 11,183
    edited July 27
    Finally broke down and bought a Tempur-pedic medium mattress and adjustable bed frame with 4 pillows. Had Dr. RX which saved sales tax - $4500 less tax and discount $3998.00. A lot of money but my back cannot handle my existing set-up. Hopefully I can sleep when I get the mattress and adjustable frame with massage and vibration.🤓

    2020 Mercedes E450 4MATIC Sedan

  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America I70 & I75 Posts: 24,833
    Get those checkups.

    I heard an unsettling figure about people staying away from their checkups and from doing regular doctor visits for problems. A doctor said his pulmonary surgeon friend normally had been doing 12-15 lung cancer surgeries a month, but now has been doing 3. Those are surgeries for patients where surgery was seen as a life saver; patients more advanced got chemo and radiation. They infer these are cases not being found early.

    Also a new item was use of a low level contrast agent and maybe a Cat Scan was now approved for anyone who smoked in the past. This makes any cancers show up earlier for hopes of a surgical solution than a regular chest xray does.

    I can provide a link to the pod cast if I can find it.

    2014 Malibu 2LT, 2008 Cobalt 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 27,227
    abacomike said:

    I prefer the Ghost II sedan. The Phantom is too big and bulky.

    Yes, that's the one I like...forgot about the baby Rolls.


    That is the one I am going to dream about tonight :)

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,611
    venture said:

    omarman said:

    A couple weeks ago I suggested that an NFL team may change their name to "Redacted." I was close. :smile:
    image

    ab348 said:

    abacomike said:

    I am watching the Phillies and Marlins game on TV and am truly enjoying watching baseball again! I really missed watching Major League Baseball. Can't wait for football to begin!🤓🤪😜

    I resubscribed to MLB TV on Friday in time to watch the Mets win their opener. Then things got back to normal yesterday when the bullpen blew the lead with 2 out in the 9th and they lost in extra innings. It's hard being a Mets fan.
    Because of something to do with baseball I am boycotting MLB for the time being.
    I suggested they just make the name Washington.

    But, but, but they said. Washington what? What logo would they use?

    I guess they could use the same logo as Cleveland.
    Don’t you think they have enough problems? :(

    jmonroe

  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,611
    driver100 said:

    At least it could be "The Washingtons" plural. Is there a team called The Wave anywhere? How about Washington Wave?

    I think that would be encouraging people to wave goodbye to them. :o

    jmonroe

  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,850
    I vote for Washington Parasites
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Same as jmonroePosts: 1,611
    andres3 said:

    houdini1 said:

    houdini1 said:


    In retrospect, at 63 I was still a young man, and physically, mentally, and lifestyle wise, nothing much had changed in my life. Still felt the same in early 70's. Now, at 77, I can certainly tell the difference between now and when I was 63, or even when 73. Still healthy for my age and have "shot my age" at least once on the golf course since I was 72...but I am certainly not as strong as I once was and don't have the stamina to play 36 or more holes a day, nor do I have the desire to play that much.

    I believe that men also go through a "change of life", just as a woman does. It is a slow process over a 2 or 3 year period and you don't really notice it until it is complete. Different ages for everyone I assume, but it will happen if you live long enough. At 77 I am different, but just as content and satisfied with my life as ever, maybe even more so. Getting old is not all good, but not all bad either.

    So if you are correct I shouldn't have to worry about getting an irresistible urge to own a non-AMG Mercedes for at least 14 or so years.
    That's encouraging.

    Even more encouraging is that my taste in cars hasn't changed much over the years, nor has my love of golf. I have always liked expensive, well made cars. BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus LS. My last 3 have been LS's, but I don't like the direction they are heading.
    A good line to use on a SO is that you like the finer things in life, which is why you chose her.
    If I got all mushy like that Mrs. j would be suspicious.

    jmonroe
  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,824
    So I had someone discuss that speed kills on our highways, despite our highways being statistically safer than our lower speed roadways.

    I pointed out how crashing at full speed into an unmovable object was a relatively preposterous scenario since the invention of brakes and steering wheels. Just because you travel highway speeds doesn't necessitate crashing at highway speeds.

    In response, they gave me this as evidence:

    https://www.ntsb.gov/news/events/Documents/2020-HWY18FH011-BMG-abstract.pdf

    2 points for a "damaged/un-repaired collision mitigation device out on the freeway where you could impact an unmovable object. The head-on mitigation was not functional, and that's not preposterous that the government would be slow to repair those devices, and that bad drivers in the USA damage them routinely.

    However, the rest is a preposterous example. Choosing a Darwin award winner that absurdly trusts Tesla's "autopilot" with their life while driving 71 MPH is preposterous to me. I think a better example could be found, as this just supports my argument IMHO.
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 3,631

    @ab348 ....I know a couple of “Willy-wavers”. I can only take about 5 mins with them. For some reason, they seem to seek me out when we’re in a group. Maybe it’s because I’m polite and will listen to them for 5 mins and nod like I care (I don’t).

    Live music reproduction in your home....not happening. No matter how much you spend, you’ll never reproduce that. Pro musicians have huge venues to play in. And overall, they have pro-audio equipment to fill those venues.

    But, you can spend some money (OK....a LOT of money) and get a relatively holographic sound with your stereo system where the speakers disappear and your room seems to expand where the sound seemingly comes from beyond your walls and ceiling. Neat party trick, but nowhere near a live concert in a venue made for live concerts.

    @roadburner ....that Hanson Audio place was a Field of Dreams type of venue. You can drop buckets and buckets of cash there. They had some B&W Nautilus speakers playing that consumed me for about 30 minutes. And, I would have listened longer if they hadn’t kindly asked if they could do another demo for someone. What they were really saying was “get out of the way so we can sell something to someone who can actually afford these”. The speakers alone cost $60,000 (you read that right). Who knows how much the electronics cost they used to drive them.

    I will say this...they had a nice home theater set up that they were demoing. My guess is it probably cost 4x-5x more than my set up. I still say mine looks and sounds better. I have yet to see or hear anything better than my set up. For that, I’ll wallow in the sadness that I don’t have an unending stream of cash to make it sound even better.

    So, I set up the Magnepans in my home theater room, as that’s where I have everything set up. Spent a couple of hours with them just trying to get their positioning right. My Denon can drive them and does a credible job while doing it. They don’t have much in the way of low end reproduction, so they would need a subwoofer. The mids and highs are glorious, though.

    Downsides....again, they need a sub. To get the “glorious” sound, the listening position is very small and you have to stay there. Not a problem for me as I’d just set up a recliner in the “sweet spot”. You move a little left or right of the “sweet spot” and the holographic nature of them collapses, and they just sound thin and lifeless.

    I can’t integrate them in my Home Theater set up. So, unless I drop more cash into a pre-amp, amp and a source (turntable, streamer, etc), they will get shoved into my closet of forgotten audio gear in the hopes I can resurrect them some day.

    Don’t make fun, but the GF loves “PINK”. I let her listen to Pink after I got the speakers dialed in. Her reply? “I don’t know why you spent so much time setting these up. What’s so special about them? Take me out for dinner.”

    So much for my wish to have her enable me.

    "Why would you spend so much $ on a stereo (watch, car, insert any male desired/life enhancing object) when you could have bought me jewelry or shoes!"

    '13 Jaguar XF, possibly my favorite of all the cars I've owned. But, my '09 Jag XK was a beauty, as was my '05 Acura TL, '88 Acura Integra, '84 Mitsubishi Mirage Turbo & '78 VW Scirocco (my first!). And, of course, the '92 Nissan Sentra SE-R and '95 Saab 900s I bought for the ex... Ok, I like a lot of the cars in my life.

  • ventureventure Central PAPosts: 1,731

    Get those checkups.

    I heard an unsettling figure about people staying away from their checkups and from doing regular doctor visits for problems. A doctor said his pulmonary surgeon friend normally had been doing 12-15 lung cancer surgeries a month, but now has been doing 3. Those are surgeries for patients where surgery was seen as a life saver; patients more advanced got chemo and radiation. They infer these are cases not being found early.

    Also a new item was use of a low level contrast agent and maybe a Cat Scan was now approved for anyone who smoked in the past. This makes any cancers show up earlier for hopes of a surgical solution than a regular chest xray does.

    I can provide a link to the pod cast if I can find it.

    It's been 3 1/2 years since I stopped smoking. I just had my third low contrast cat scan. (No evidence of lung cancer).

    Originally the doctor said 3 of them, but when the lady called with the results of the last one she indicated that she wanted to schedule the next one.

    I have a check up coming up in September. I will clear it up then.

    2020 Ascent Limited, 2020 Legacy Touring XT

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 27,227

    @ab348 ....I know a couple of “Willy-wavers”. I can only take about 5 mins with them. For some reason, they seem to seek me out when we’re in a group. Maybe it’s because I’m polite and will listen to them for 5 mins and nod like I care (I don’t).

    Live music reproduction in your home....not happening. No matter how much you spend, you’ll never reproduce that. Pro musicians have huge venues to play in. And overall, they have pro-audio equipment to fill those venues.

    But, you can spend some money (OK....a LOT of money) and get a relatively holographic sound with your stereo system where the speakers disappear and your room seems to expand where the sound seemingly comes from beyond your walls and ceiling. Neat party trick, but nowhere near a live concert in a venue made for live concerts.

    @roadburner ....that Hanson Audio place was a Field of Dreams type of venue. You can drop buckets and buckets of cash there. They had some B&W Nautilus speakers playing that consumed me for about 30 minutes. And, I would have listened longer if they hadn’t kindly asked if they could do another demo for someone. What they were really saying was “get out of the way so we can sell something to someone who can actually afford these”. The speakers alone cost $60,000 (you read that right). Who knows how much the electronics cost they used to drive them.

    I will say this...they had a nice home theater set up that they were demoing. My guess is it probably cost 4x-5x more than my set up. I still say mine looks and sounds better. I have yet to see or hear anything better than my set up. For that, I’ll wallow in the sadness that I don’t have an unending stream of cash to make it sound even better.

    So, I set up the Magnepans in my home theater room, as that’s where I have everything set up. Spent a couple of hours with them just trying to get their positioning right. My Denon can drive them and does a credible job while doing it. They don’t have much in the way of low end reproduction, so they would need a subwoofer. The mids and highs are glorious, though.

    Downsides....again, they need a sub. To get the “glorious” sound, the listening position is very small and you have to stay there. Not a problem for me as I’d just set up a recliner in the “sweet spot”. You move a little left or right of the “sweet spot” and the holographic nature of them collapses, and they just sound thin and lifeless.

    I can’t integrate them in my Home Theater set up. So, unless I drop more cash into a pre-amp, amp and a source (turntable, streamer, etc), they will get shoved into my closet of forgotten audio gear in the hopes I can resurrect them some day.

    Don’t make fun, but the GF loves “PINK”. I let her listen to Pink after I got the speakers dialed in. Her reply? “I don’t know why you spent so much time setting these up. What’s so special about them? Take me out for dinner.”

    So much for my wish to have her enable me.

    "Why would you spend so much $ on a stereo (watch, car, insert any male desired/life enhancing object) when you could have bought me jewelry or shoes!"
    I guaranty you, your life will be happier overall, if you buy the shoes or jewelry and not the stereo, car, watch etc.

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,680
    A couple of weeks ago, I asked my nurse at the infusion center if they had a normal number of patients there to be treated. She said people are skipping their cancer treatments due to Covid. Not Me.
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 27,744
    End of the world is nigh... I took my Charger to a mechanic. Such a scary scary prospect to me. I just don't have the time to mess with it. Found a place not far away with excellent reviews. When I got there, I perused the lineup of customer cars: '68 Camaro Z/28 (clone), Baby Bentley, S500, C7 Vette, and some others. Other than the old S500, mine is probably the cheapest car there. Inside the garage, a bay was occupied by a 2011 S4 with engine out and some classic Vette I couldn't get a good view of.

    As if all of that wasn't clue enough, as they were typing up my info, I saw some prices flash by on the LCD in the background. $141/hr labor, $299 coolant flush, $599 trans service, and others. Obviously a high-end place. The owner and his wife are VERY nice people, though. We chatted a bit about cars. He is just finishing up resto-modding his '75 Lancia Beta Coupe he has had since new. So, I have high hopes for the work being done, but dread the bill coming my way.

    '03 F250 7.3, '07 ML63, '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '14 Town&Country Limited; '18 BMW X2. 52-car history and counting!

  • driver100driver100 Burlington, ON 7 mo/Tampa FL 5 moPosts: 27,227
    ....and people think owning a Mercedes is going to cost you a lot!

    2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

  • fintailfintail Posts: 51,021
    The fanciest F01 7er you can buy.
    driver100 said:


    Yes, that's the one I like...forgot about the baby Rolls.
    That is the one I am going to dream about tonight :)

  • fintailfintail Posts: 51,021
    Looks like the DaimlerChrysler link might go back before we thought ;)

    I think my local indy shop is something like $139/hr. But, they do good work and have exceptional ratings, so you might get what you pay for.
    driver100 said:

    ....and people think owning a Mercedes is going to cost you a lot!

  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 11,183
    jmonroe1 said:

    dino001 said:

    Talking receivers, my Pioneer Elite SC-63 just started displaying UE22 Error. The manual said it was an "update error", but it's in fact bad manufacturing of a one of those digital sound processing chips by Texas Instruments. Apparently there was some replacement program, but it's gone by now, they don't have any parts left, they may offer some discount, but not sure about that. So far the receiver still plays, but from description of others I expect it to cut off at some point. It's already tempestuous whenever I turn it on for digital signal. There is one thing I can still do, apparently - it's reheating this chip with a heat gun to reset its soldering. Several people report it may help, as it may eliminate microcracks in the chip connection. Would need to buy such a gun, they are relatively cheap, so no big deal.

    This really sucks. I've had it for about five years, which is long enough for get some enjoyment, but way too short for what I expected at the price. I really liked this receiver, it did everything I needed it to do and did it well, but if buying again, not sure which one I'd get.

    If you think that sucks what do you think about this:

    I got a robo call this morning about final expense insurance. I hung up immediately but I did hear that much. Mrs. j was in the kitchen and asked who called. I told her and she quips, “you know, you otta start paying attention to those kind of calls now”. I’ll see how she feels in about 3 weeks when she’ll be as old as me. If I felt up to it I shoulda chased her around the dining room table for a lap or two. Would have served her right. :@

    jmonroe

    What is really driving me nuts are the 5-6 robo-calls I get each week from some auto warranty company. They are the most persistent of all the robo-calls I get. I have blocked 40-50 phone numbers but they keep changing their phone number.

    It is so aggravating I feel like throwing the darn phone against the wall at times. But I quickly remember that replacing this iPhone would be pretty pricey.🤓

    2020 Mercedes E450 4MATIC Sedan

  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,582
    Just set it to silence unknown callers. If it’s real they’ll leave a message. Instant peace of mind!
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
  • sdasda Indian Land, SCPosts: 3,385
    abacomike said:

    jmonroe1 said:

    dino001 said:

    Talking receivers, my Pioneer Elite SC-63 just started displaying UE22 Error. The manual said it was an "update error", but it's in fact bad manufacturing of a one of those digital sound processing chips by Texas Instruments. Apparently there was some replacement program, but it's gone by now, they don't have any parts left, they may offer some discount, but not sure about that. So far the receiver still plays, but from description of others I expect it to cut off at some point. It's already tempestuous whenever I turn it on for digital signal. There is one thing I can still do, apparently - it's reheating this chip with a heat gun to reset its soldering. Several people report it may help, as it may eliminate microcracks in the chip connection. Would need to buy such a gun, they are relatively cheap, so no big deal.

    This really sucks. I've had it for about five years, which is long enough for get some enjoyment, but way too short for what I expected at the price. I really liked this receiver, it did everything I needed it to do and did it well, but if buying again, not sure which one I'd get.

    If you think that sucks what do you think about this:

    I got a robo call this morning about final expense insurance. I hung up immediately but I did hear that much. Mrs. j was in the kitchen and asked who called. I told her and she quips, “you know, you otta start paying attention to those kind of calls now”. I’ll see how she feels in about 3 weeks when she’ll be as old as me. If I felt up to it I shoulda chased her around the dining room table for a lap or two. Would have served her right. :@

    jmonroe

    What is really driving me nuts are the 5-6 robo-calls I get each week from some auto warranty company. They are the most persistent of all the robo-calls I get. I have blocked 40-50 phone numbers but they keep changing their phone number.

    It is so aggravating I feel like throwing the darn phone against the wall at times. But I quickly remember that replacing this iPhone would be pretty pricey.🤓
    Same here. From all different states, same approach. Beyond annoying.

    2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2013 Honda Accord EX, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

  • dino001dino001 Tampa, FLPosts: 5,788
    edited July 27
    They don’t change numbers, they randomly spoof local numbers. I assume these aren’t real offers, rather they are scams to get the card number. It shows how incompetent and/or lazy operators and government are, if they can’t fight These robocalls and hunt down those spoof servers. Also howmsecure are those networks if couple of guys from Nigeria (or wherever) can set up this and laugh at all of us? They spent billions into listening and monitoring us through metadata, but can’t block these crooks from harrassimg us.

    I usually wait until the end to press the unlist button and that usually stops these calls for a few weeks until some new scammers call. They are getting more shameless and the bots are getting more lifelike and even more aggessive. Recently I got one that wouldn’t let me do it. That made me mad.

    2018 430i Gran Coupe

  • oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Posts: 15,612

    A couple of weeks ago, I asked my nurse at the infusion center if they had a normal number of patients there to be treated. She said people are skipping their cancer treatments due to Covid. Not Me.

    That seems penny wise and pound foolish of those folks. :(

    2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2004 Chevy Van, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 37,995
    SDA, that is what happened to us once my wife got her first RDX. The chances of keeping her in something more basic (and cheaper), just not good.

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

  • andres3andres3 Southern CAPosts: 11,824
    edited July 27
    sda said:

    A year already! A year ago today we bought the Q5. It has been a pure pleasure to own. My wife who is very practical and for the most part could careless about her vehicle has commented multiple times, without prompting, how much she enjoys driving it.
    She says she is spoiled now, no going back. It had 26k, now 39k. Miles driven are a lot lower than what would have been before Covid. I’m delighted with it too.

    I see Audi as being the better Acura for former Honda Owners, at least in years past (no one knows the future). If Audi delivers a reliable experience similar to what one is used to with their Honda's, it's a win-win!!

    For those that get bad Audi's, well, there's always Lexus. :smile:

    Seems like Acura has gotten some Mojo back lately though. You're 2006 TL is the last generation Acura I REALLY craved. The new TLX-S(A-Spec) shows promise.

    I know I was sad when my test drive of an early IS350 led me to believe the TL-S would get gapped by one.

    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Gapped
    '16 Audi TTS quattro 2.0T, '15 Audi A4 quattro 2.0T, '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion AWD 2.0T
  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 13,444
    edited July 27


    @roadburner ....that Hanson Audio place was a Field of Dreams type of venue. You can drop buckets and buckets of cash there. They had some B&W Nautilus speakers playing that consumed me for about 30 minutes. And, I would have listened longer if they hadn’t kindly asked if they could do another demo for someone. What they were really saying was “get out of the way so we can sell something to someone who can actually afford these”. The speakers alone cost $60,000 (you read that right). Who knows how much the electronics cost they used to drive them.

    I will say this...they had a nice home theater set up that they were demoing. My guess is it probably cost 4x-5x more than my set up. I still say mine looks and sounds better. I have yet to see or hear anything better than my set up. For that, I’ll wallow in the sadness that I don’t have an unending stream of cash to make it sound even better.

    So, I set up the Magnepans in my home theater room, as that’s where I have everything set up. Spent a couple of hours with them just trying to get their positioning right. My Denon can drive them and does a credible job while doing it. They don’t have much in the way of low end reproduction, so they would need a subwoofer. The mids and highs are glorious, though.

    Downsides....again, they need a sub. To get the “glorious” sound, the listening position is very small and you have to stay there. Not a problem for me as I’d just set up a recliner in the “sweet spot”. You move a little left or right of the “sweet spot” and the holographic nature of them collapses, and they just sound thin and lifeless.

    I can’t integrate them in my Home Theater set up. So, unless I drop more cash into a pre-amp, amp and a source (turntable, streamer, etc), they will get shoved into my closet of forgotten audio gear in the hopes I can resurrect them some day.

    I rarely find HTS systems I prefer to mine; I usually find the sub is too loud as are the surround speakers- I guess so the unknowing will "appreciate" the system.

    I almost bought some cheaper Maggies back in 1991. I ended up with my Klipsch KG4s, as I liked the sound and the high sensitivity paired well with my Carver receiver. I'll give you $200 for them... ;)

    My bride-bless her heart-never questions my need for 155 mph daily drivers or an elaborate HTS. And did I mention she found my first BMW for me and also gave me a Tag Heuer watch for a wedding present and another one for our 30th anniversary? Needless to say, I don't begrudge her remodeling projects or any of her other interests.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 37,995
    it makes sense though. Audiophiles design to their specific tastes, so not likely someone else putting a system together will get the same result.

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 16,363

    I vote for Washington Parasites

    How about the Washington Swamp Rats?

    2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 37,995
    Taken I think.

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 14,680
    Swamp Dwellers
    2019 Lincoln MKZ Reserve 1, 2017 Ford F-150 Limited
  • snakeweaselsnakeweasel a Certified Edmunds Poster.Posts: 16,363
    sda said:

    A year already! A year ago today we bought the Q5. It has been a pure pleasure to own. My wife who is very practical and for the most part could careless about her vehicle has commented multiple times, without prompting, how much she enjoys driving it.
    She says she is spoiled now, no going back. It had 26k, now 39k. Miles driven are a lot lower than what would have been before Covid. I’m delighted with it too.

    Pretty much the same thing with my wife and the BMW, she loves driving it and I think there is no going back for her.

    2008 Sebring Ragtop, 2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

  • stickguystickguy Posts: 37,995
    I already lost the battle so she is covered for hopefully 10 years, and well past when we retire so who knows what happens after that.

    I prefer her being set with her dream car. Lets me do whatever I want (within budget constraints of course) and she won't care. Might not be willing to ride in it, depending on how out there I get, but that just means we always use her car when together, which is fine.

    2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD (wife's)

  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 13,444
    stickguy said:

    it makes sense though. Audiophiles design to their specific tastes, so not likely someone else putting a system together will get the same result.

    Id basically agree with you when it comes to music, and as they say there's no accounting for taste- but I just can't see enjoying a movie when the sub is constantly thumping even if there's no LFE on the soundtrack- ditto for surrounds that are nearly as loud as the mains regardless of source material. Systems set up that way tell me the purpose is to increase the "wow factor" for the rubes.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

  • roadburnerroadburner Posts: 13,444


    Pretty much the same thing with my wife and the BMW, she loves driving it and I think there is no going back for her.

    My wife didn't pick out a BMW for herself until we had been married for over 12 years. From that point on it's been either BMWs or Minis.

    Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2014 M235i; 2009 Cooper Clubman; 1999 Wrangler; 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i

Sign In or Register to comment.