Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Leasing: from Canada

ethanadethanad Member Posts: 20
edited September 2020 in Kia
Has anyone successfully leased a vehicle from Canada in the US? My current lease ends today on a 2016 Kia Soul EV, yet Kia has not made any of the 2020 models available in the US. There is inventory across the border in Vancouver, BC.

Answers

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,586
    ethanad said:

Has anyone successfully leased a vehicle from Canada in the US? My current lease ends today on a 2016 Kia Soul EV, yet Kia has not made any of the 2020 models available in the US. There is inventory across the border in Vancouver, BC.

I'll guess this would be impossible

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ethanadethanad Member Posts: 20
    Why?
    ethanad said:

Why?

By definition, a lease involves financing a vehicle. With the owner in Canada (leasing bank), it seems doubtful they'll lease to a US resident.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

Kia Motor Finance has me on record having leased two vehicles. As long as they have a customer with a history of on-time payments, I don't think the dealer cares.

What I don't know is whether I can drive the vehicle across the border, if there are import duties I'll have to pay, etc., etc.
    So far the dealer I've been in contact with in Surrey, Canada has not had any qualms about leasing to a US resident.
    ethanad said:

So far the dealer I've been in contact with in Surrey, Canada has not had any qualms about leasing to a US resident.

Let us know how it goes.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

edited September 2020
    This will most likely all become moot, as I don't even have a current passport. By the time I get one expedited at whatever exorbitant price that will be, I'll be overdue on the lease turn in period.

And seeing as no one has weighed in with any experience of their own on this topic, I gather it's not a realistic solution to the lack of US inventory on the 2020 Soul EV.