Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• dino001dino001 Member Posts: 6,163
    edited September 2020
    Just realized - another underappreciated aspect is power supply wattage and quality. Usually not a big problem with large brands, but when you do one "on spec" then it's important to get it right. This is again an issue when buying with graphics card, as it needs to mach its capability, as those high-end dual/tripple graphics cards need lots of reliable power. Also important when buying a laptop - it may pay off to read some reviews, whether there are complaints from users about early failures. Same with batteries, they used to be weakest links for laptops. There was a lot of progress since.

Generally, the computer is as good as its weakest link. Computers usually choke on data transfer (disk, RAM), not on processor speed and fail more often due to power issues (supply, cooling flow and fans, battery) than controllers or other electronic components.

2018 430i Gran Coupe

• roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    dino001 said:

We don't do any any maintenance on motors of vacuum cleaners, refrigerators or dishwashers. They work and at some point they stop, usually because of either worn bearing, bad electronics, or seals whenever water is involved. None of these items can be considered regular/preventative maintenance, rather they are all repair items with schedule based on lack of the draw. I think some hybrid power may be more prone to repair issues same way, but it would be a design problem (like say bad electronics), not a maintenance item. However, all traditional parts of internal combustion engine and power transmission system will require maintenance same way regular gas car does.

I like the way BMW replaces the torque converter with an electric motor in their PHEV models. I’d think it would simplify some design issues as the IC motor and the electric motor share the complete drivetrain.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,132
    edited September 2020
    @abacomike
    I have my son's old college computer in my spare bedroom: HP 190t. I'd ordered it with the best video card at the time, Nvidia 5770? It is an I7 and was almost the top speed application of the I7 at the time. Since he was in physics I bought capability.

We upgraded a couple years later with a video card that would handle the graphic requirements of the games he played. Like cars, those requirements change monthly.

Replaced that with a Microcenter Gaming Powerspec with a good video card when he started working. He just shopped the Powerspec computer line and ended up buying a Dell Alienware computer that was "on sale." But the video card was the most important shopping point I saw. He got an Nvidia 2080 Super which can handle almost anything the latest games can make use of.

I think the speed of the video card is more important than the CPU and the motherboard. But he ended up spending $2300 roughly after the discount.

The Powerspec line is Microcenter's gaming computer line. It makes for good browsing because many come with pretty good video cards. The specs also clearly tell you the motherboard used, sometimes hard to find on other branded computers. From shopping 3 years ago for a Powerspec and a quick look as he was shopping this time, I still think Powerspec does a good job of price point meeting with really good parts.

https://www.microcenter.com/search/search_results.aspx?Ntk=all&sortby=match&N=4294967292+4294820733+4294819443&myStore=true&storeid=029

Tom's hardware GPU ratings. --they also have motherboard and firmware ratings if you search net
    https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

My son and I were looking at the Nvidia RTX 3080 video card. It’s almost as big as an old VHS tape. We were surprised that it only costs $699.
    I may yet put together a dedicated gaming system, but my son reports that he’s very happy with the gaming laptop he recently bought.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    HP used to be something special though. Took my first cobol lab practical on the HP 3000 series III MPE with 1Mb memory, disc drive and tape drive. I scored well and spiked the curve for the rest of my class. I told my girlfriend that it was due to the unique power of this tower refrigerator sized HP minicomputer.
    She laughed and said I was lucky to even have a girlfriend to talk to. Another unique power.
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    dino001 said:

Just realized - another underappreciated aspect is power supply wattage and quality. Usually not a big problem with large brands, but when you do one "on spec" then it's important to get it right. This is again an issue when buying with graphics card, as it needs to mach its capability, as those high-end dual/tripple graphics cards need lots of reliable power. Also important when buying a laptop - it may pay off to read some reviews, whether there are complaints from users about early failures. Same with batteries, they used to be weakest links for laptops. There was a lot of progress since.

Generally, the computer is as good as its weakest link. Computers usually choke on data transfer (disk, RAM), not on processor speed and fail more often due to power issues (supply, cooling flow and fans, battery) than controllers or other electronic components.

In my anecdotal experience lap tops have issues with old software that's been updated 1,000 times. Could be just a hard drive issue (which is common in old computers), but I have a feeling Windows had something to do with it.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    edited September 2020

My son and I were looking at the Nvidia RTX 3080 video card. It’s almost as big as an old VHS tape. We were surprised that it only costs $699.
    I may yet put together a dedicated gaming system, but my son reports that he’s very happy with the gaming laptop he recently bought.

Y’all need to support my retirement income and buy from my former employer and buy Radeon and Athlon or Ryzen equipped computers!
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    After being hired away from the big, bad copier company, I started programming on one of these.....
  • andres3andres3 Member Posts: 13,729
    That picture reminded me of a Sony Trinitron 15" CRT monitor I had that was one of the best monitors ever made in that size for the time.
    '15 Audi Misano Red Pearl S4, '16 Audi TTS Daytona Gray Pearl, Wife's '19 VW Tiguan SEL 4-Motion
    I had to take a Poli Sci class on computer research in 1977-1978. Fond memories of the IBM 360 and trays of punch cards...

• explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,256
    I used to use one of these.

2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,465

I took the day off to burn some vacation time (Still have 6 days that I have to use this year) and since it was so nice out I took the bike out. Went about an hour and a half or so down RT 66.

Some day you can do what me and other retired folks do...schedule a few work days before you forget what it was like to be a working stiff. B)

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    nice looking bike. that has the DCT (no clutch) tranny, right? or some sort of CVT?

do you have to shift gears even if not using clutch lever?

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,561

I took the day off to burn some vacation time (Still have 6 days that I have to use this year) and since it was so nice out I took the bike out. Went about an hour and a half or so down RT 66.

If you’d fixed the top on your Sebring you could have cruised in style without worrying about falling off. It was 75 degrees when I left work today with the top down and I smiled all the way home listening to oldies rock and looking at the clouds. B)

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,290
    stickguy said:

nice looking bike. that has the DCT (no clutch) tranny, right? or some sort of CVT?

do you have to shift gears even if not using clutch lever?

It's a DCT , you can shift gears manually if you wish. I often use the manual mode.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

If you’d fixed the top on your Sebring you could have cruised in style without worrying about falling off. It was 75 degrees when I left work today with the top down and I smiled all the way home listening to oldies rock and looking at the clouds. B)
    Even with a working top I would have taken the bike, so much more fun. Had a little fun with the Lincoln Service train. B)

Also when driving stop looking at clouds and keep your eyes on the road.

• driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,964
    How do you get High Octane from that pump?

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

Even with a working top I would have taken the bike, so much more fun. Had a little fun with the Lincoln Service train.

Also when driving stop looking at clouds and keep your eyes on the road.
    I get the thrill of riding a bike instead of a car. Kind of like the thrill of walking a tightrope. My buddies who own them feel the same as you. Maybe if I tried it when I was younger...

BTW, you can see the clouds through the front wind screen. :D

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    I remember a comedian decades ago (Bob Newhart maybe) doing a routine about what the conversation might be like if motorcycles had never been invented and then in current times someone came up with the idea of putting a powerful engine between your legs on a bicycle.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

I remember a comedian decades ago (Bob Newhart maybe) doing a routine about what the conversation might be like if motorcycles had never been invented and then in current times someone came up with the idea of putting a powerful engine between your legs on a bicycle.

Not only that but place a few gallons of flammable liquid on top of that engine.

• bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    Greetings my poster buddies. I'm back in Boston with a few days left on home quarantine. Much gratitude to our house sitter, my cousin, who took care of our home as it were her own. Not only did she cared for the house but she had our cars detailed to showroom new. Priceless!

Although we followed protocol and took a PCR test, wore a mask for the entire duration of our trip, unfortunately no one at the airport or airline asked for test documents. How could we pretend to be fighting the Covid-19 virus when no one even bothered to take our temperature or ask any questions about our health status? Pitiful.

On a related note, I must give kudos to the pilot of the brand new A321. It was the smoothest landing I've ever experienced. And I made it known to the captain. He smiled and said, "sometimes we get it right". Yes, indeed it felt like being on magic carpet. Thanks JetBlue for blocking the middle seats but some light refreshments would have been nice on such a long trip.
    @snakeweasel
    That sounds like a calming day you spent on your cycle.

I've never liked motorcycles for myself to ride. When I was 8-10, my brother-in-law took me on the back of his Harley driving the country roads 9 miles to where they lived in the town. I was scared to death. Nothing to hold onto other than a leather jacket. He was a great guy along with my sister, but I had never been on even a short ride with him on the cycle.

edited September 2020
    ab348 said:

Probably the eco-folks would scream and yell if someone were to "invent" the motorcycle now. Imagine, a "hot engine between your legs under your seat and that couple of gallons of gasoline on top of the hot engine"--entirely too dangerous. Imagine what would happen if the cycle were to wreck. No airbags...

Maybe if the cycle were powered by solar cells it could be considered...

• qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891

ab348 said:

Probably the eco-folks would scream and yell if someone were to "invent" the motorcycle now. Imagine, a "hot engine between your legs under your seat and that couple of gallons of gasoline on top of the hot engine"--entirely too dangerous. Imagine what would happen if the cycle were to wreck. No airbags...

The safety folks would complain but tough for the eco folks to argue with 100 mpg for a single-person commute.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

Did a transport early this a.m. Transported a grey Malibu for a burgundy Impala. Not much to report except I can’t figure out why they needed me to do it. Got to the Malibu and there were at least two lot boys standing around smoking cigarettes and BSing. But, I got money to go to the Apple Festival now.
    driver100 said:

I’m surprised you have to be told not to judge a book by its cover.

jmonroe

'15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    edited September 2020
    Not to mention the lack of emissions standards on bikes not too old.

Electric bikes are coming into their own now. They won't appeal to the Hog crowd, but as demographics change, look for a lot more of them in coming years.

My main resistance to bikes is other road users - especially living in an area filled with distracted morons, "new" drivers, and entitled Stepfords in large heavy vehicles. But soon I'll be in less traffic density, it'll be tempting.

driver100 said:

Hey, I just noticed this. That old time gas station has an ADT security sign. I wonder when that station abandoned the old security system of having a German Shepard under the desk. Maybe the liberal bandits union financed a lobby because they didn’t want to tangle with a real security system.

jmonroe

Did a transport early this a.m. Transported a grey Malibu for a burgundy Impala. Not much to report except I can’t figure out why they needed me to do it. Got to the Malibu and there were at least two lot boys standing around smoking cigarettes and BSing. But, I got money to go to the Apple Festival now.

You just answered your own question. Would you want those jamokes driving a $35k piece of inventory?

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    and making it smell like smoke.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

fintail said:

Not to mention the lack of emissions standards on bikes not too old.

Electric bikes are coming into their own now. They won't appeal to the Hog crowd, but as demographics change, look for a lot more of them in coming years.

My main resistance to bikes is other road users - especially living in an area filled with distracted morons, "new" drivers, and entitled Stepfords in large heavy vehicles. But soon I'll be in less traffic density, it'll be tempting.

The major issue with electric bikes is range. Since most motorcycling in the U.S. is more of a sport/hobby many motorcyclists are taking their bikes on long weekend rides. Rides that usually will exceed the range of any electric motorcycle.

Turns out the average motorcycle is 10 times more polluting per mile than a passenger car, light truck or SUV.

driver100 said:

Turns out the average motorcycle is 10 times more polluting per mile than a passenger car, light truck or SUV.

Source?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    edited September 2020
    tjc78 said:

This may be a new topic!

Water Heaters. New house has a Noritz tankless unit. I’ve read there is maintenance that needs to be done.

Anyone have one, experiences to share?

We have two tankless natural gas water heaters. Just need descaled periodically. Looks like they just use vinegar water solution and pump it through.

Very quiet and endless hot water.
    qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Source?
    Ok, found my own. Not just an editorial, but an actual test.

Caveat, though, is they show 28% better fuel efficiency, which tells me they used REALLY BIG bikes.

• mjfloyd1mjfloyd1 Member Posts: 3,224
    qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Source?
    https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2011/09/mythbusters-motorcycle-emissions.html
    mjfloyd1 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Source?
    https://latimesblogs.latimes.com/greenspace/2011/09/mythbusters-motorcycle-emissions.html
    Thanks. Looks like I forgot the link, but that is what I was referring to. :)

• abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,255
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for all your feedback on a new computer guys. If I get a tower, it will be one that can support Flight Simulator 2020, which just came out. It requires a superior amount of RAM, graphics cards and graphics memory and a tenth generation I7 processor. Hopefully I can get away with just replacing the tower since my monitor is still great as is my printer and audio. All my peripherals are by wire, not wireless, so I have to make sure I have the proper adapters and cables. I already use an HDMI cable for my monitor.

I made some adjustments to the start-up of the existing computer by delaying some of the start-up items which may solve some of the issues I have been experiencing. If so, I would rather keep what I have.

2021 Genesis G90

• fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,097
    That and the big electric brands aren't really making anything along the lines of a tourer or cruiser - mostly naked/sport/enduro style. I think "Zero" has a 200+ mile range now, which is probably adequate for those styles.

The major issue with electric bikes is range. Since most motorcycling in the U.S. is more of a sport/hobby many motorcyclists are taking their bikes on long weekend rides. Rides that usually will exceed the range of any electric motorcycle.

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Source?
    https://www.wired.com/2008/06/motorcycles-pol/#:~:text=Turns out the average motorcycle,emit a lot less C02.

driver100 said:

My Speed Triple 900 is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber...

driver100 said:

My Speed Triple 900 is a hybrid; it burns gas and rubber...

Looks like it burns more than my car!

driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Source?
    https://www.wired.com/2008/06/motorcycles-pol/#:~:text=Turns out the average motorcycle,emit a lot less C02.
    An editorial with no proper referencing nor annotating is not an acceptable source for scientific claims.

The mythbusters one is better, although still significantly flawed.

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,031
    But where there's smoke, there's usually fire.

In any event any bias I have against motorcycles is not due to emissions. It stems from two things that I cannot stand:

1. The noise most riders, it seems, enjoy making, either the basso profundo loud Harleys, or the screaming, high-pitched, high revving Japanese sports bikes.
    2. In the latter group (at least locally), the ridiculously dangerous way they ride, weaving through traffic at high speed, blowing through intersections, etc.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

ab348 said:

In any event any bias I have against motorcycles is not due to emissions. It stems from two things that I cannot stand:

1. The noise most riders, it seems, enjoy making, either the basso profundo loud Harleys, or the screaming, high-pitched, high revving Japanese sports bikes.
    2. In the latter group (at least locally), the ridiculously dangerous way they ride, weaving through traffic at high speed, blowing through intersections, etc.

I definitely am biased against both those groups, as well. And, unfortunately, they outnumber the calm, quiet riders by a very large margin where I live.

edited September 2020
    ab348 said:

There's a similarity between the bikes with loud pipes and the dangerous driving types to the drivers of usually Hondas with fart can or no can exhausts, primer paint, and dangerous driving habits of cutting in and out and zooming through lights at the end of the yellow.

Interestingly, decades ago I noticed the same characteristics in the Volkswagen drivers in their bugs. They would cut in and out because they felt they were smaller and more agile AND they often had loud exhausts, the most flamboyant of those with exhaust pipes sticking up like giant fingers.

driver100 said:

I find that hard to believe, especially given the fact that I can go further on a gallon of gas on the bike than any car out there.

fintail said:

That and the big electric brands aren't really making anything along the lines of a tourer or cruiser - mostly naked/sport/enduro style. I think "Zero" has a 200+ mile range now, which is probably adequate for those styles.

Yes Zero has a 223 mile range bike if memory serves. However there are several popular bike destinations around here where that would be pushing it. One popular destination I travel to I would be pushing it and would have little room for errors.

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

qbrozen said:

driver100 said:

Source?
    An editorial with no proper referencing nor annotating is not an acceptable source for scientific claims.

The mythbusters one is better, although still significantly flawed.
    I saw it on the internet.
    The article had enough facts to make it legit IMO.