Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Edmunds Members - Cars and Conversations

Comments

• Options
    fintailfintail Member Posts: 57,169
    I don't like the tablet/pop up look either. To me it screams "suddenly it's 2010!" and isn't a cohesive design. MB doesn't do everything right (had plenty of tablet designs too), but the integrated seamless screen optional on E-class from 2017+ (standard for 2020+) is the best design in the industry IMO.

Same for the column shift. It irks some people, but quickly becomes muscle memory, and just looks right. Really makes the car feel more open, and removes the false pretense of sport with a floor shift (especially those with a boot), this might be a relatively fast car, but it isn't a sports car, let's stop pretending.
    abacomike said:

I don’t like those pop-up screens like the one shown above on the new Genesis. It is not recessed to avoid sunlight distortion. It is also very small.

I noticed that they did away with the gear selector in the console making more room for console storage, much like Mercedes and many other makes and models. Everything is electronic when it comes to gear selection anyway.

My best friend is interested in replacing his 2008 Infinity M35X with a G80 lease. I will go with him when he is ready. But I know he won’t like the narrow height on the GPS screen.

• Options
    Hmmm...if you insist?

I swear I've seen a similar steering wheel hub, either an old Ford or Mopar, I think.
    bwia said:

Meet the 2021 Genesis GV80. It may not carry the price tag of a Bentley Bentayga but the interior design and sophistication of the GV80 is equal to or surpasses the Bentayga. Enjoy!

• Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,948
    bwia said:

Meet the 2021 Genesis GV80. It may not carry the price tag of a Bentley Bentayga but the interior design and sophistication of the GV80 is equal to or surpasses the Bentayga.

Are these your words or those from a published article?

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,976
    edited October 2020
    New Genesis GV80 is pretty nice, but Mercedes seems to have leapt ahead with the 2021 S Class:

...even if the GV80 has silvery buttons with white accents! :p

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,986
    What happened to just the joy of driving? All this high tech stuff, though impressive, robs the driving experience, at least to me.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671
    sda said:

What happened to just the joy of driving? All this high tech stuff, though impressive, robs the driving experience, at least to me.

I agree. Modern cars seem to be 50% video game but I guess that the demographic they’re going for.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    abacomikeabacomike Member Posts: 12,258
    driver100 said:

New Genesis GV80 is pretty nice, but Mercedes seems to have leapt ahead with the 2021 S Class:

I don’t like the new dash in the 2021 S Class with its up-sloping console which culminates in the GPS screen. Much too confining for the driver and front passenger.

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,328
    bwia said:

abacomike said:

bwia said:

Meet the 2021 Genesis GV80. It may not carry the price tag of a Bentley Bentayga but the interior design and sophistication of the GV80 is equal to or surpasses the Bentayga. Enjoy!

I don’t like those pop-up screens like the one shown above on the new Genesis. It is not recessed to avoid sunlight distortion. It is also very small.

I noticed that they did away with the gear selector in the console making more room for console storage, much like Mercedes and many other makes and models. Everything is electronic when it comes to gear selection anyway.

My best friend is interested in replacing his 2008 Infinity M35X with a G80 lease. I will go with him when he is ready. But I know he won’t like the narrow height on the GPS screen.
    You may be right but according to C&D, "at a time when many carmakers are replacing switches and buttons with vast touch-sensitive black panels, Genesis uses silver-tone knurled knobs and select physical buttons with white accents, creating a light, bright space. The large rotary dial that controls the infotainment system lives in the center console and clicks with satisfying precision as it turns." The collage bellow shows an example of this. Enjoy!
    If any of you ever watched Star Trek Voyager this reminds me of the episode where they built a bigger, faster, better shuttle craft. The guy building it made all the controls knobs, levers, switches and buttons instead of using the touchscreens found all over the Star Trek universe. When someone questioned him about it he said "I want to feel the ship, I'm sick of punching panels".

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    Question for those who care. I finally got the Sebring into the mechanic who said it would be $825 to fix it up. This includes replacing the part that's leaking, replacing the thermostat, flushing the system and replacing the battery as they said testing it it was not fully holding the charge (it's around 5 years old or so). Add to this the fact that I have to renew the registration by the end of the month which is going to be about $145, Thank you governor [non permissible content removed] so we are looking at nearly a grand to get back on the road.

On the other hand I have an offer of $400 for it as is.

So its a 13 year old Chrysler with 143K miles and some issues and I am thinking of cutting my losses and taking the $400, but it could last a few more years and with winter coming soon it would still be a good beater car for the snow and stuff that's coming.

What say all of you?

• Options

Question for those who care. I finally got the Sebring into the mechanic who said it would be $825 to fix it up. This includes replacing the part that's leaking, replacing the thermostat, flushing the system and replacing the battery as they said testing it it was not fully holding the charge (it's around 5 years old or so). Add to this the fact that I have to renew the registration by the end of the month which is going to be about $145, Thank you governor [non permissible content removed] so we are looking at nearly a grand to get back on the road.

So its a 13 year old Chrysler with 143K miles and some issues and I am thinking of cutting my losses and taking the $400, but it could last a few more years and with winter coming soon it would still be a good beater car for the snow and stuff that's coming.

What say all of you?

I have no opinion one way or the other. At times like this, I just flip a coin! 😜

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    abacomike said:

driver100 said:

I don’t like the new dash in the 2021 S Class with its up-sloping console which culminates in the GPS screen. Much too confining for the driver and front passenger.
    I kind of agree. It is too bad they couldn't actually build that screen into the instrument panel, even if they made the screen a bit smaller. It almost looks like a clip board leaning up against a smooth instrument panel behind it. There should be enough leg room I would think, it is a wide console but it is a pretty big car.

• Options
    abacomike said:

What say all of you?

I have no opinion one way or the other. At times like this, I just flip a coin! 😜
    Any other suggestions?

• Options
    "snakeweasel"

A good case either way. I am more of the opinion that you got your use out of the car, and getting $400 out of it now would be a nice bonus.....you can buy a nice dinner for Mrs Snake. Putting $1000 into it isn't too bad, but if there is another fairly major repair, and there probably will be, then you will be behind. No when to hold 'em, and know when to fold 'em I always say.

• Options
    sda said:

Not sure about robs the driving experience....but it is different. I like the C250 because of its simplicity, start it up, put it in gear, and it works like cars have for 40 or 50 years. Not even a rear view camera.
    But the newer cars are more like flying a new plane, digital instruments, all the comfort options, fast, smooth, with lots of extra features like GPS, BLIS etc.
    I like having one of each, but if I could only choose one I'd take the newer one with all the extras.

• Options
    I'm not in love with that design either. Weird jutting tablet for the gauges, weird Tesla-wannabe screen in the middle. MB seems to be moving on from designs I like, which means my latest new purchase may be my last.
    driver100 said:

• Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,095
    bwia said:

You may be right but according to C&D, "at a time when many carmakers are replacing switches and buttons with vast touch-sensitive black panels, Genesis uses silver-tone knurled knobs and select physical buttons with white accents, creating a light, bright space. The large rotary dial that controls the infotainment system lives in the center console and clicks with satisfying precision as it turns."

Surely we have learned by now to discount the introductory articles about any new model that run in the car magazines, as they are almost always ridiculously positive and enthusiastic.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    edited October 2020

What say all of you?

I guess the question is really one of do you want a beater convertible for summer days or not? Would you be confident taking it out on a nice summer day (or for that matter, in a snowstorm) or would you be in fear of it stranding you? The money really isn't much either way, and if you replaced it with another beater then you would still have a cash outlay.

• Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,671

What say all of you?

Well, the Sonata is old enough to take over winter beater duty and the prime function of the Sebring doesn’t work and can be taken over by your other convertible I’d say send it down the road. Getting 143k out of a Chrysler is a cause for celebration.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    garrison16garrison16 Member Posts: 28
    Snake, I have been a lurker for several years but logged in to respond to your situation. I also had a 2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. I was the second owner. I bought it CPO when it was about 3 years old with about 21000 miles. It was a touring model with 2.7 6cyl with leather interior. The maintenances were starting to get expensive. Like with you it was an extra car. What I thought it might need was about what I thought the car was worth. Dealer would have given me $1700 plus tax savings on a trade. I sold it for $1500 last January. It had 120,000 miles. From what I understand it may have needed repairs that I was not aware of as I sold it to a friend of a friend. In case this helps with the decision you are about to make
  • Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,926
    TJC’s public service announcement...
    Don’t move. Stay in your current home.

Carry on...

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    tjc78 said:

Carry on...

That doesn’t sound good.

• Options
    28firefighter28firefighter Member Posts: 9,392
    tjc78 said:

Carry on...

Yikes lol
    2022 Tesla Model Y Performance, 2018 BMW M240i Convertible, 2015 Audi Q5 TDI
  • Options
    Ruh-roh. :o

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,556
    Sounds ominous. But even when nothing goes really wrong, it is still a bunch of headaches.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Snake, the question to me is, do you really need the extra car? I assume the only real purpose is to keep the BMW in the garage when the roads are crappy? If so, and you would have to replace it, might as well fix it up and let it take the abuse. If you would not replace it anyway, might as well dump it, get some cash, free up garage or driveway space, and lower insurance.

Plus since the top doesn't work, of no real use in the nice weather (plus you have a nice convertible).

• Options
    Just spoke with my son who lives in the Coachella Valley in the Palm Springs area of California. My grandson told me that my son was suffering from migraines the past few weeks when I called him last week.

As you all know, he had an inoperable malignant brain tumor in the rear of his cerebrum about 5-6 years ago. He underwent proton radiation at Loma Linda Medical Center near Riverside and after 6-8 months of heavy doses, the tumor disappeared.

When we spoke today, he was very guarded about discussing his health with me. He said he doesn’t want people to feel sorry for him or pity him. He had tests done and said he is waiting for results.

All I can say at this time is that I am very scared that the cancer has returned. I hope he levels with me when he gets the results. If it is cancer, I will fly out there immediately. I am praying that God will watch over him and see to it that he is well. 😔

2021 Genesis G90

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882
    abacomike said:

Just spoke with my son who lives in the Coachella Valley in the Palm Springs area of California. My grandson told me that my son was suffering from migraines the past few weeks when I called him last week.

As you all know, he had an inoperable malignant brain tumor in the rear of his cerebrum about 5-6 years ago. He underwent proton radiation at Loma Linda Medical Center near Riverside and after 6-8 months of heavy doses, the tumor disappeared.

When we spoke today, he was very guarded about discussing his health with me. He said he doesn’t want people to feel sorry for him or pity him. He had tests done and said he is waiting for results.

All I can say at this time is that I am very scared that the cancer has returned. I hope he levels with me when he gets the results. If it is cancer, I will fly out there immediately. I am praying that God will watch over him and see to it that he is well. 😔

Praying for positive results Mike.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options
    jmonroe1jmonroe1 Member Posts: 7,563
    abacomike said:

We’re all praying that he’ll be OK.

jmonroe
    '15 Genesis Ultimate just like jmonroe's. '18 Legacy Limited with 3.6R (Mrs. j's)
  • Options
    abacomike said:

So sorry to learn. I hope he has a quick recovery from whatever is affecting him.

• Options
    ventureventure Member Posts: 2,882
    driver100 said:

abacomike said:

driver100 said:

I kind of agree. It is too bad they couldn't actually build that screen into the instrument panel, even if they made the screen a bit smaller. It almost looks like a clip board leaning up against a smooth instrument panel behind it. There should be enough leg room I would think, it is a wide console but it is a pretty big car.

2020 Ascent Limited, 2024 Subaru Legacy Sport

• Options

Snake, I have been a lurker for several years but logged in to respond to your situation. I also had a 2008 Chrysler Sebring Convertible. I was the second owner. I bought it CPO when it was about 3 years old with about 21000 miles. It was a touring model with 2.7 6cyl with leather interior. The maintenances were starting to get expensive. Like with you it was an extra car. What I thought it might need was about what I thought the car was worth. Dealer would have given me $1700 plus tax savings on a trade. I sold it for $1500 last January. It had 120,000 miles. From what I understand it may have needed repairs that I was not aware of as I sold it to a friend of a friend. In case this helps with the decision you are about to make

Thank you for your input. Plus stop lurking and become active here, we are a good group and very welcoming so post here often.

• Options
    omarmanomarman Member Posts: 2,702
    I am praying that God will watch over him and see to it that he is well. 😔

Hoping your son gets well soon Mike. My nephew came over for a visit last night and we were up til 3AM just talking, laughing, and sorting through all the family ups and downs over this year. (So far.) By the time he left we were both feeling better even though we're staying the same course as always: Power of prayer!
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing.
  • Options
    stickguy said:

Snake, the question to me is, do you really need the extra car? I assume the only real purpose is to keep the BMW in the garage when the roads are crappy? If so, and you would have to replace it, might as well fix it up and let it take the abuse. If you would not replace it anyway, might as well dump it, get some cash, free up garage or driveway space, and lower insurance.

Plus since the top doesn't work, of no real use in the nice weather (plus you have a nice convertible).

We really don't need the extra car and your presumption is correct but we wouldn't be replacing it should we dump it.

As for nice weather, yes we have a real nice convertible plus the bike B)

• Options
    jmonroe1 said:

abacomike said:

We’re all praying that he’ll be OK.

jmonroe
    +1. Mike we are praying for you and your family.

• Options
    stickguy said:

I think I’d take the $400 and say it’s been a good run!

• Options
    abacomike said:

Hoping all is OK

• Options
    The
    stickguy said:

Sounds ominous. But even when nothing goes really wrong, it is still a bunch of headaches.

I’m just tired... lol. Last weekend before settlement.

We spent a good bit of it taking the stuff down from the attic and the last bit of packing. At least the attic wasn’t bad and 90% of it just got piled to go on the moving truck.

Wife and I went shopping for some stuff today and did ok. Have a good story from the furniture store I’ll share later. Since we really have no kitchen left bought $200 of prepared stuff from Wegmans. That place was a total zoo as usual.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    Wegmans makes a great deli sandwich. But not convenient for us to shop at. And the shopping center is horrible to deal with (and probably getting worse now that Costco is open in there).

• Options
    stuff, drags you down. I just assume now that my kids will just need to rent some big dumpsters some day to deal with it. I am happy that we finally got a few boxes off for shredding, but that is a slow process. I did go through one file today (old insurance papers) so got to reminisce over the last 15 years of various companies. It was interesting to see how much less I pay now. Even a year in the Mid-00's when we had 2 cars and no kids driving, I paid about 50% more than we pay now for 2 cars (before I turned one in). About the only think in Jersey that costs less than it used to!

• Options
    stickguy said:

Wegmans makes a great deli sandwich. But not convenient for us to shop at. And the shopping center is horrible to deal with (and probably getting worse now that Costco is open in there).

I had to pickup an order at Crate and Barrel so I was up that way. Otherwise, it’s not convenient at all and will be less so once I move.

• Options
    edited October 2020
    stickguy said:

stuff, drags you down. I just assume now that my kids will just need to rent some big dumpsters some day to deal with it. I am happy that we finally got a few boxes off for shredding, but that is a slow process. I did go through one file today (old insurance papers) so got to reminisce over the last 15 years of various companies. It was interesting to see how much less I pay now. Even a year in the Mid-00's when we had 2 cars and no kids driving, I paid about 50% more than we pay now for 2 cars (before I turned one in). About the only think in Jersey that costs less than it used to!

My car insurance is far less than it used to be. It went down considerably moving Gloucester county.

I burned three giant totes of paperwork a few weeks back.

• Options
    the local animal shelter had a fund raiser a few weeks ago. $40 for all the shredding you could fit in the car, at a shredding place nearby. I think we had 5 boxes at the time, so I convinced the boss that it was for a good cause and we went. I think she shed a tear watching it go into the hopper.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,320
    Danny's Favorite.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,362
    venture said:

abacomike said:

Praying for positive results Mike.
    Same here.

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• Options

Thank you for your input. Plus stop lurking and become active here, we are a good group and very welcoming so post here often.
    Basically agree....not sure about what I underlined above.

• Options
    tjc....and this too shall pass. One day you will be glad you made the move.

• Options
    Mike, hoping for the best possible outcome.

• Options
    Just saw this story on the national news in Canada.
    Guy buys a 2013 used Nissan Leaf a few years ago. Guy loves the car.
    Now he finds it is losing power quickly, can't drive far.
    To save the battery he tries not to use heat or a/c.
    The cost of a new battery would be $13000, more than the car is worth.
    He is upset Nissan doesn't have a way to fix the problem, for a more reasonable cost.
    It also upsets him that he bought an environmentally friendly car and now there is a battery that is going to get dumped.
    Nissans only real solution is to trade it in on a new model.
    This is why I prefer tried and true technology!