Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Maintenance for Honda lease

good_boy_1234good_boy_1234 Member Posts: 81
edited November 2020 in Honda
So I got my car lease from a different State and I am now just over the 6 month timeline from lease purchase. I don't drive much but wonder if Honda specifically wants honda dealer for maintenance? I remember in my prior car lease, the prior dealer convinced me (got sick of him) that it's a must and they follow the Honda timelines and requirements.

Others told me no, it's not mandatory as long as your car gets serviced somewhere...so my question is the $500 maintenance plan at Honda dealer a must? Or just go to any car shop like Midas and have them check the oil, fluids and that stuff every 6 months or so? or at least do they know what Honda wants in its timeline?

Lastly, how much does this cost of oil change, fluids refills and check? if just $20 or so then I guess no point to pay $500 because I would only do 5-6 checks of those during the whole lease period. I do care about the lease value because I had equity in my prior lease and was able to get $1,000 extra!

Comments

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,123

So I got my car lease from a different State and I am now just over the 6 month timeline from lease purchase. I don't drive much but wonder if Honda specifically wants honda dealer for maintenance? I remember in my prior car lease, the prior dealer convinced me (got sick of him) that it's a must and they follow the Honda timelines and requirements.

Others told me no, it's not mandatory as long as your car gets serviced somewhere...so my question is the $500 maintenance plan at Honda dealer a must? Or just go to any car shop like Midas and have them check the oil, fluids and that stuff every 6 months or so? or at least do they know what Honda wants in its timeline?

Lastly, how much does this cost of oil change, fluids refills and check? if just $20 or so then I guess no point to pay $500 because I would only do 5-6 checks of those during the whole lease period. I do care about the lease value because I had equity in my prior lease and was able to get $1,000 extra!

Get it done wherever you want. Keep records. Do the factory recommended service.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Keith77Keith77 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 CRV doesnt want to shift into second gear when taking off going up a hill. Once you crest the hill it goes back to shifting smooth through all gears. What could cause this problem or where should I start out searching for issues? Thanks for any help you may be able to offer me. Just so you know I have limited mechanical knowledge but can not afford to take it to a mechanic without at least having an idea of what it could be. Thanks again Keith.
  • thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,747
    The transmission shifting is a balancing act between how fast the car is going and how much acceleration the driver is demanding from the car. When you are going up a hill you step on the throttle harder because you need more power so the engine and the transmission both respond accordingly, that is the equivalent of a hard acceleration. The first thing that needs to be considered is whether the engine is producing normal power output. If it is under-powered then you would be pushing the throttle further and that in turn makes the transmission shift later. So that's the first thing that either needs to be confirmed as occurring or ruled out. The next step can only be decided on once you know which system (engine or transmission) really needs to be looked at. I will mention that a timing belt that is starting to fail could easily allow the camshaft timing to jump a tooth and then the late shifting concern is a common symptom of that because of the reduction in engine power. That is an example, do not use that as a suggestion to go look for it. A technician needs to analyze the car by what is going on now and not by any other information.