Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Did the 2013 Nissan Frontier come with four or five tire pressure monitors?

JanCannJanCann Member Posts: 3
edited March 2021 in Nissan
Does the spare tire come with a pressure monitor?

Comments

• thecardoc3thecardoc3 Member Posts: 5,745
    Service information that I just looked at only shows a four sensor system, however it's become a habit to consider the possibility that any car with a full sized spare "could" still have a five sensor system. An easy way to check without a TPMS tool would be to let about 6-10 psi out of the spare tire while the car is running and see if you get a warning. Another way to check is to look closely at the valve stems. Regular valve stems are different from the TPMS ones. The TPMS style have a larger brass tip and larger valve caps.

Is there a problem with your car that has you curious about a potential fifth sensor?
  • JanCannJanCann Member Posts: 3
    I had a tire with a slow leak switched with the spare tire four years ago at a gas station. Since then the tire pressure idiot light has remained lit although the four working tires are fully inflated. When I had my tires rotated at the Nissan dealership about two years ago I asked if they included the spare in the rotation. The sales clerk looked at me as if I had asked to date his twelve-year-old daughter and said, "We never touch the spare.". Your confirmation of a four-sensor system supports my theory that the gas station did not switch the TPMS from the old tire to the new. I have long since taught myself to ignore the idiot light, my least costly solution, and I thank you for your helpful response.