Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

What car should I think of getting?

RayeElizaRayeEliza Member Posts: 6
edited March 2021 in General
I am in the market for a new car, preferably SUV. I have been doing research for a couple of months, and since it will be around May before I can get one, I am taking my time in the research. I have somewhat narrowed down my possibilities to either Toyota Rav4 and the hybrid equivalent, Chevrolet Equinox, and possibly Subaru Crosstrek or Forester. I know with these cars, mileage will be a bit iffy, so at least 25-30mpg would be ideal. I don't know if the cargo capacity will be a big issue since I will need a good size so I can fit my dogs and possible camping materials if I go outdoors. I am also looking into AWD since I moved to an area that snows, so I'll need a car that can handle the snow somewhat easily. I have experienced CVT transmission, so I have not much of a problem with that, and I have a driving history with Toyota and Chevrolet, so it would make sense to continue to stick with either of those two. At the same time, I would like to experience what driving a Subaru would be like, so that's on the table as well. What other suggestions would you think of, or which of these cars would you guys recommend.

Comments

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,337
    RayeEliza said:

I am in the market for a new car, preferably SUV. I have been doing research for a couple of months, and since it will be around May before I can get one, I am taking my time in the research. I have somewhat narrowed down my possibilities to either Toyota Rav4 and the hybrid equivalent, Chevrolet Equinox, and possibly Subaru Crosstrek or Forester. I know with these cars, mileage will be a bit iffy, so at least 25-30mpg would be ideal. I don't know if the cargo capacity will be a big issue since I will need a good size so I can fit my dogs and possible camping materials if I go outdoors. I am also looking into AWD since I moved to an area that snows, so I'll need a car that can handle the snow somewhat easily. I have experienced CVT transmission, so I have not much of a problem with that, and I have a driving history with Toyota and Chevrolet, so it would make sense to continue to stick with either of those two. At the same time, I would like to experience what driving a Subaru would be like, so that's on the table as well. What other suggestions would you think of, or which of these cars would you guys recommend.

I can get a half dozen folks to comment here, and they'll all have different opinions. None of them right, and none of them wrong.

My suggestion? Go test drive the ones you are interested in, and see what you like or dislike about them. Are the seats comfortable? Does the infotainment system seem natural to you, or are you fighting with it? The devil is in the details. You seem to have a good idea of what you're looking for, which is good. Where are you willing to compromise, and what's a deal breaker?

Given that you have a couple of months to shop, start test driving now. Tell the dealers your timeline, and that you'd like some alone time with the car (with COVID, that's pretty easy nowadays).

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    texasestexases Member Posts: 10,711
    The Rav4 hybrid would seem to meet your needs. It's at the top of my list, I'm looking for something similar.
  • Options
    Yea, the hybrid is looking like it would fit, but I have a budget of up to $35,000. And when I research my cars, they tend to say the base trim is not a good choice. Should I still consider that as well?
  • Options
    A test drive is the best way to tell.
  • Options
    I find XLE hybrid Rav4 for about $32,000 near me.
  • Options
    For an update, the choices have been narrowed down to either the Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE and the Subaru Forester Premium. At this point, the test drives will have to be done to determine the winner, but yet I have to wait until May to do this.